Nervous about new TV breaking Glass top stand! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok So I might be just worrying a little too much, but with a $2500 investment I would rather be safe than sorry...

I have a Tech Craft glass TV stand, and I dont know why, but just the positioning of the glass supports just make it look like putting a 100 lb tv on it would lead to a disaster.. It is tempered glass, but How strong is it really? I have 2 cats that love to sleep under the tv glass, and if it broke, would not be a very good day for me

The 'Homefurnaturemart' link below states it will hold 260 lbs, but after setting my new Vizio m701 on it, it took a second or 2 to just let go of the TV, lol

Like I said maybe Im over reacting, but I just want some extra assurance that its safe

http://www.standsonline.com/Free-Shipping/Tech-Craft-PTV583B-TV-Stand-up-to-60-TVs__Tech-spc-Craft-spc-PTV583B.aspx

http://www.homefurnituremart.com/techcraft583b.html

IMG_20131115_152344_zpsece11dc7.jpg

IMG_20131115_152320_zpsac5c3659.jpg

IMG_20131115_152259_zps8285f76e.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Liked: 10
MJ79,
About 8 years ago I purchased my first 50" Sony plasma TV that weighed in at just over 100 lbs.
The stand that I bought back then was rated for 125+ lbs however when I set the Sony on the glass it sagged pretty bad.
Not wanting to find that the TV had crashed into the middle of the floor, I had a local glass and mirror shop cut me a piece of 1/2" tempered glass in the exact same size as the piece that came with the stand.
Eight years later I still have the same TV sitting on the same stand and glass with absolutely no sag or flex.
I think I paid like 70 bucks for the piece of glass back then but the money spent was well worth the piece of mind.
Excuse the poor picture below but I think you can see the difference that the 1/2" glass will make.
Good Luck
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply man. So tempered glass will flex? My stand is tempered and my TV is less than half the weight of max. 100 lb TV. Stand rated at 260... But with invesments of nearly $3000 under the stand and a couple kittens, I just wanted some re assurance
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Tempered glass is stronger than annealed glass, but can break. The reason it is used is because when it breaks, it shatters into thousands of small, relatively harmless pieces instead of a few large, dangerous shards. The problem with tempered glass is that even a small impact or scratch can cause it to break. And sometimes it breaks just because it wants to. The main rule of thumb when using glass is to use it in a way which is not likely to cause it to fail, and use it in a way that if it fails the damage is minimal. Sounds like you are in danger of violating the second part of the rule.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea but did you see my pics... ThAts how it sits and there isnt much else I can do other than get another stand.. The glass is in good condition , and the TV is well below HALF of the load rating of the stand... Man. You guys aren't making me feel any better lol
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

Yea but did you see my pics... ThAts how it sits and there isnt much else I can do other than get another stand.. The glass is in good condition , and the TV is well below HALF of the load rating of the stand... Man. You guys aren't making me feel any better lol

If your that worried about it, I would go buy a nice piece of Birch plywood. Cut it to fit, stain it or paint it. I had to do that for my audio rack after buying an amp.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its not that.. I'm just more curious on how strong tempered glass really is. Yes its not even at half its weight rating , but being glass its still a concern.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The thing with glass breaking is dependent on the supports and the moment of inertia of the weights being away from the support points.

I notice from your pictures that there are a pair of support points to the wood structure directly in front of the left and right edge of the TV stand. I assume there is another pair at the rear. Given that, you have a very small lever arm of torque, and thus a very low moment of intertia. In fact, 80% of the weight is being directly transferred to those support points.

Bottom line: I think you are fine and have little to worry about (and I'm the guy who is usually conservative of mounting.)
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

The thing with glass breaking is dependent on the supports and the moment of inertia of the weights being away from the support points.

I notice from your pictures that there are a pair of support points to the wood structure directly in front of the left and right edge of the TV stand. I assume there is another pair at the rear. Given that, you have a very small lever arm of torque, and thus a very low moment of intertia. In fact, 80% of the weight is being directly transferred to those support points.

Bottom line: I think you are fine and have little to worry about (and I'm the guy who is usually conservative of mounting.)

Yes sir

There are 4 supports on the front, and 2 in the rear.. the two in the rear are directly behind ( even to ) the two middle ones in the front

So I guess your right, those 4 supports pretty much have all the weight of the TV
post #10 of 10 Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Liked: 10
tempered glass (which I assume this is) is 4-5 times stronger than annealed glass. That glass can take an impact from a hammer head on and not break. Now the vulnerable sections is the edges where a sharp impact with a metal object would cause breakage. Long story short, there is nothing to worry about here. Spontaneous breakage of tempered glass is a VERY rare occurrence and when it does happen is often caused by changes in ambient temperature.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M701d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page