Seeking Feedback on First Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m about a month away from completing my first dedicated theater room. My gear is listed below and I’d love to get some feedback on the components I've selected, especially on the speakers!

Basement Specifications
•22.5 x 11 x 7.5 (feet)
•Complete light control
•Carpet

AV Gear
•Denon X4000 Receiver
•Elite Screens ER120WH1 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (120 inch 16:9 AR)
•Panasonic PT-AR100U Projector
•Speakers
oRythmik LV12R Rear Ported Servo Subwoofer
oWharfedale – Diamond 10.5 Tower Speaker
oWharfedale – Diamond 10 CM Center Channel Speaker
oWharfedale – Diamond 10.1 Bookshelf Speaker
•Monster MP HTS 1600 Power Center
•Boxee Box Media Streamer
•Logitech Harmony Touch Remote
•Xbox One or PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

*bump*
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Liked: 12
> Denon X4000 Receiver

Excellent receiver with Audyssey XT32. Look up JD Smoothie and PM him here for a good sale price (Denon Authorized).

>Wharfedale
Can make good stuff, not that familiar though. Reportedly laid back and warm, which would suit me. But will it suit you? You should check out the Wharfedale threads, and try to find a place to listen to them. Speakers are very personal. Listen to a few carefully. You will here differences.

>Monster MP HTS 1600 Power Center
I haven't found a monster product that wasn't done better and cheaper by someone else. I don't know anything about this particular power center, but be sure to look around.

>Boxee
If it fits your needs, it fits your needs.

>Logitech Harmony Touch

Don't necessarily discount the ones with buttons. Some people like real buttons that can be felt.

> Rythmik LV12R Rear Ported Servo Subwoofer
Rythmik makes nice stuff, and that is probably a good fit for your room. Also consider the HSU Vtf-2 Mk4

Good luck!

Dan
post #4 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan__ View Post

> Denon X4000 Receiver

Excellent receiver with Audyssey XT32. Look up JD Smoothie and PM him here for a good sale price (Denon Authorized).

>Wharfedale
Can make good stuff, not that familiar though. Reportedly laid back and warm, which would suit me. But will it suit you? You should check out the Wharfedale threads, and try to find a place to listen to them. Speakers are very personal. Listen to a few carefully. You will here differences.

I haven't found a monster product that wasn't done better and cheaper by someone else. I don't know anything about this particular power center, but be sure to look around.

>Boxee
If it fits your needs, it fits
>Logitech Harmony Touch

Don't necessarily discount the ones with buttons. Some people like real buttons that can be felt.

Rythmik makes nice stuff, and that is probably a good fit for your room. Also consider the HSU Vtf-2 Mk4

Good luck!

Dan
I second the Hsu subs

PSN ID: Streetglide75

Xbox One: ZenZilla75
post #5 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

> >Monster MP HTS 1600 Power Center

That Monster Unit doesn't seem that bad. My main question about it for you would be if you can tolerate the plug spacing. There is very little room for "wall warts" if you have any. Make sure because that unit is pretty small and there is little space for large plugs. It is a "pretty" unit, however.

If you can hide the unit in the back, or if aesthetics are less important, you might also consider the Monster HTS 1000 MKIII 8-Outlet Power Center, which handles a lot more joules (6125), or the Tripp Lite HT10DBS, which is pretty well regarded.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

> Denon X4000 Receiver

^Purchased already, but I'll keep JD in mind when I upgrade my den's components.
>Wharfedale

^I found the dealer here in Charlotte, listened to the 10.1's and I was very pleased. Now that the Diamond 100's have been released I'm not sure which to choose!

^Picked this up fom Amazon for about $80 shipped, hard to pass up.

>Boxee
If it fits your needs, it fits your needs.

^I was an early adopter and I struggle to find something that's as versatile. Considering a PS4 or One, but their limited, read nonexistent, network media streaming is a deal breaker.

>Logitech Harmony Touch

^Agreed, buttons are pricelesd but I want to give this a shot. If it's not a good fit, back to the buttons!

^Definitely will look into the HSU.

Good luck!

Dan
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That Monster Unit doesn't seem that bad. My main question about it for you would be if you can tolerate the plug spacing. There is very little room for "wall warts" if you have any. Make sure because that unit is pretty small and there is little space for large plugs. It is a "pretty" unit, however.

If you can hide the unit in the back, or if aesthetics are less important, you might also consider the Monster HTS 1000 MKIII 8-Outlet Power Center, which handles a lot more joules (6125), or the Tripp Lite HT10DBS, which is pretty well regarded.

^Based on my gear, I think I should be covered on spacing. If not, I'll go with the Tripp Lite. Thanks for the recommendation!
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Pre-wire photos:

Post wiring, sheetrock, and paint photos:

I plan to build a audio transparent faux wall for the 120" screen on the wall with the window.
On the rear accent wall, there will be a riser for seating.

Projector and speakers are all that's left! Can't wait to get this wrapped up and enjoy it! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a similar window i need to put a screen over. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update:
All gear has been purchased, here's the final list:
AV Gear
•Denon X4000 Receiver
•Elite Screens ER120WH1 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (120 inch 16:9 AR)
•Mitsubishi 7900 Projector
•Speakers
oSVS PB-1000 Subwoofer
oWharfedale – Diamond 10.5 Tower Speaker
oWharfedale – Diamond 10 CM Center Channel Speaker
oWharfedale – Diamond 10.1 Bookshelf Speaker
•Monster MP HTS 1600 Power Center
•Boxee Box Media Streamer
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Pics man, pics!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Elite Screens Er120wh1 A1080p2 Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen 120 Inch 16 9 Ar At , Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector Pt Ar100u , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Monster Mp Hts 1600 8 Outlet Power Center With Stage 2 Clean Power , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread - Er120wh1 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page