New Construction 5.1 Surround System Prewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello All,

I am new here and I have a question about getting the family room in the home I am building prewired for a surround system. I want to mount my TV over the fire place but the fireplace is in a corner and not the middle of the wall like most cases. See photo:

Would it even make sense to try and wire this room for surround sound? Someone suggested putting the tv on the wall where the two photos are instead of over the fireplace which is a viable option but I prefer to have the tv over the fireplace. Any ideas on a good setup for a 5.1 system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Klass

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In that room, on-wall (or in-wall, but I don't suggest in-wall for exterior walls) at each side and above TV (mount TV as low as possible). Mound surrounds in-ceiling just beside and just behind intended seating space.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

thanks

post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by klassified View Post

Someone suggested putting the tv on the wall where the two photos are instead of over the fireplace which is a viable option but I prefer to have the tv over the fireplace. Any ideas on a good setup for a 5.1 system would be greatly appreciated.

Listen to that person...

TV over the fireplace is not generally a good idea, because the height of the display makes it uncomfortable for viewing. From the dining area it wouldn't matter, but from the 6-10' likely seating location, you'd be looking up at it, which your neck won't appreciate. You say you "prefer" that location - do you have a similar setup now, or are you just thinking about the aesthetics of that location? If you haven't tried it - take your existing setup and raise the display to the height it would be over the fireplace, and see what it feels like to you at the viewing distance you'll be.

Also - having the TV on that wall would make it much easier to position speakers and surrounds... In-ceiling rears / sides would work in that arrangement. If you're having the builder pre-wire, have them just place the wires in the wall/ceiling loose (attached), not in boxes, as the boxes have to be removed and force speaker placement against the joists/studs, which can be difficult to accomplish (too close to the framing).

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Listen to that person...

TV over the fireplace is not generally a good idea, because the height of the display makes it uncomfortable for viewing. From the dining area it wouldn't matter, but from the 6-10' likely seating location, you'd be looking up at it, which your neck won't appreciate. You say you "prefer" that location - do you have a similar setup now, or are you just thinking about the aesthetics of that location? If you haven't tried it - take your existing setup and raise the display to the height it would be over the fireplace, and see what it feels like to you at the viewing distance you'll be.

Also - having the TV on that wall would make it much easier to position speakers and surrounds... In-ceiling rears / sides would work in that arrangement. If you're having the builder pre-wire, have them just place the wires in the wall/ceiling loose (attached), not in boxes, as the boxes have to be removed and force speaker placement against the joists/studs, which can be difficult to accomplish (too close to the framing).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.. I actually decided to go that route and just place the TV on the wall. You and my coworker are absolutely correct when you say it would be uncomfortable and by avoiding the fireplace the surround speaker placement will be more straight forward.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page