Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AKA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm going to be needing a few HDMI runs soon for a wall-mount. I plan to run a direct connection from the sources to the display with a single cable for each, if possible, as opposed to isolating the in-wall segment with wall plates and seperate runs from the plates to the device or to the source. My understanding is that I need the cable run in the wall to be CL rated (eg CL2/CL3). I checked at Monoprice and found a few but used their tech chat to see if they had anything else that would work and the rep pointed me to one of their Redmere cables. I saw no indication they were CL rated so I asked and was told that it has a VW-1 rating and therefore is "acceptable for in-wall residential use". Sure enough, the information on the product page for that specific cable even noted this point specifically.

In terms of their product, they only have a few CL rated HDMI cables, but far more VW-1 rated ones. As it turns out, the CL rated ones are (understandably) very rigid which might not work the best for my purpose (1 cable direct all the way and behind a wall-mount), whereas if VW-1 is sufficient, I've got a lot more options to choose from. As noted, I can also just do CL inside the wall and cap it with wall-plates but since the passthroughs are obscured and less links in the chain are preferable, I wasn't planning on doing that.

So, am I mistaken in my understanding here or is Monoprice advertising and selling cables with incorrect information?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
VW-1 is a flame test, not a UL cable rating. NEC requires use of cable with specific UL rating such as CL2 or CL3, or an approved substitute, for certain applications. A cable with VW-1 printed on it is not the same as a cable with CL2 printed on it. If in doubt, ask your local building inspector.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AKA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

VW-1 is a flame test, not a UL cable rating. NEC requires use of cable with specific UL rating such as CL2 or CL3, or an approved substitute, for certain applications. A cable with VW-1 printed on it is not the same as a cable with CL2 printed on it. If in doubt, ask your local building inspector.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't in doubt, but Monoprice advertises and sells VW-1 rated cable as follows:
Quote:
The VW-1 rating on this cable indicates that it complies with fire safety codes and insurance requirements and is safe for use inside the walls of residential class buildings.

I even gave them a chance to verify this information by contacting their tech reps. However, they insisted their VW-1 cables were fine for in wall use. It's disappinting to see, because I've had generally positive experiences in the past, and expected their product info would be free of errors like this. Since they don't have any really workable (not extra rigid) CL rated cable, I'll be shopping elsewhere this time.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It's probably a cost decision. Maybe Monoprice doesn't want to pay for the UL certification? I don't know how UL works.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AKA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

It's probably a cost decision. Maybe Monoprice doesn't want to pay for the UL certification? I don't know how UL works.
If they simply acknowledged this that would be one thing. However, they're making claims about the VW-1 specification that are simply incorrect.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page