Big's Help me Design and Build thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Welcome to my full thread on my new construction HT Planning/Build thread.

Well to start off I feel overwhelmed by the amount of options and looking at everybody else’s HT systems there is so much I want to do I’m starting to get lost within all of it! Even though that can be good I don't want to overlook something so I come here to the best place and good people to look for suggestions and comments on my system. I hope to update this frequently and post lots of pictures because admit it…. We all love the pics!

So lets get started…

Posting pictures along with these questions I have floating around in my head.

Issues and thoughts at this time:

1. Ledge on 3 of the walls in the HT area. (Incorporate acoustical treatments here?) or close off and waste the space and build a “flat” wall.

2. AV room. Behind screen or in back of room (distance issue?) OR AV equipment in stand under screen for easy playability for games and no need for IR sensors linking equipment (don't want to do this due to blinky lights and distractions) Or build a small room with a door accessible from family room area where the equipment would be located.

3. Speaker placement issues. (Or bump out and use acoustic transparent screen) placing subs, towers behind screen. Seems like behind screen is best option

4. Open on one side of room, only semi closed off. Or if there is a option for a LARGE double door or sliding door that would work well to be able to open up the area for when the room will be linked to the family area and used for entertaining.

5. Adding star celine in the future, need enough room or plan accordingly to have it

6. Amount of acoustic treatment and where (I see full rooms with panels on walls with fabric? What for and should I do this?)

7. Biggest screen possible, still researching what screen and how to have a screen with 2.35 with making it into 16:9 if/when needed exe…

Attached pictures with the google doc
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1zX5Kk5I9vVhXnp_h8RU39J5kk4YkX6ncxxgDln73Gns/edit?usp=sharing
Option A seems ok, but I dont know what I would do with the area to the left of the HT room. This option is viable only if making an open and inviting space somewhat conjoined with the family area.
Option B is what I/we would like the best. Possible large door so that it can be opened and inviting if/when we want to entertain guests in that area and able to go to and from both areas almost as 1. Also with this option we can half a half wall and large open doorway, would cut costs as well as obtaining our home theatre area as well as keeping it open. (most likely the way we should go.)

Please comment and subscribe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Have you considered a dedicated theater?

If you frame the upper walls flush, you could build some shutters for the windows.

I'd put the av rack outside the room, under the stairs. No heat, light, or noise pollution
in the theater.

You could do a riser height landing, with a step up, in the family room and enter at riser height.

Big.JPG 80k .JPG file

You could go with a SeymourAV XD DIY acoustically transparent screen.

The problem with your proposed layout is you have no sidewall, so the audio is going to be compromised.
You also don't really want your surround speakers right on top of the seats. And you give up the opportunity
to have a low noise floor, that an enclosed space represents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big.JPG (79.8 KB, 9 views)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Have you considered a dedicated theater?

If you frame the upper walls flush, you could build some shutters for the windows.

I'd put the av rack outside the room, under the stairs. No heat, light, or noise pollution
in the theater.

You could do a riser height landing, with a step up, in the family room and enter at riser height.

Big.JPG 80k .JPG file

You could go with a SeymourAV XD DIY acoustically transparent screen.

The problem with your proposed layout is you have no sidewall, so the audio is going to be compromised.
You also don't really want your surround speakers right on top of the seats. And you give up the opportunity
to have a low noise floor, that an enclosed space represents.

I did think about doing a isolated room, and might go that way.

The AV rack cannot go in the space you suggested, its an opening to under the stairs and go way underneath where there is a lot of "storage" stuff in there. It goes all the way under the foyer area of the entrance of the house approx. 10*7 So lot of room for extra junk that does not need to be out all the time smile.gif

But thanks for the suggestion! I am considering doing an isolated room for better sound. I think in the long run we would like it more that way
post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The av rack could be relocated.

You could build the riser at the first step height, and then have an island style riser atop that, to gain height.
That last step would become a landing, and the rack might be located in the furnace room, recessed into the
stair wall. An island style riser would then go on the riser, so the second row can see the bottom of the screen.

Or: Perhaps the entry to the storage might lie in having the door in the furnace room? A door with it's swing,
takes up more floor space then a Middle Atlantic Slim5.

Or: Maybe the answer is side by side av racks in the 3.5' width, with something like a 3.4' by 5-6' tall access
hidden "door" beneath? Or two panels that swing outwards, and eat up zero storage room floor space.

You could be getting superior sound from a dedicated space. A low noise floor is important. Quiet details in a
soundtrack are 23 db, while most rooms' ambient noise level is around the 50 db. To hear the quietest parts
of a sound track, you need to raise the volume. Then when an action filled portion of the movie hits, it's way too
loud.

The riser could also be built to be a broad band bass trap.

The window could be plugged in a way that it is still accessible for airing out the theater, but still give you light
control. And the window won't be allowed to act as a low pass filter (which will have an audible effect).

The four walls also mean you can acoustically treat the room, and you have a symmetrical space with side walls.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

too much typing and no attaching...

Big1b.JPG 82k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big1b.JPG (82.1 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10

I would vote for the dedicated room if you are able.  I agree with Tedd's drawing of having a false wall and putting R/C/L behind it.  Are you looking to have a stage at all?  I was reading up on that on another post and learned a lot.  Building my own theater room as well, and getting very overwhelmed.  

Tedd, your suggestion of the bass trap from the riser, how would you make it as such?  Basically build a platform to raise the floor x inches and fill with general pink insulation with vents in the back?  

Bigvix, not sure what you are doing with the family room, but could you build a cut out in the corner and place the A/V rack there?  Next to the wall where the screen would be?

For the screen issue, I will have to look back on my thread, but someone posted a link to a guide on a DIY system to adjust screen format.  Long story short, the guy used a pulley system to raise and lower some black velvet to provide the correct format, either 2.35:1 or 16:9, based on the source.

I would love to hear others thoughts on the room treatments as I am trying to figure out what to do on mine.  

Got a nice space Big, how it goes well and keep us updated!!

post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

The window could be plugged in a way that it is still accessible for airing out the theater, but still give you light
control. And the window won't be allowed to act as a low pass filter (which will have an audible effect).

All great info thanks for the reply!

I do have a question about what you posted here. I did a Google search on this topic and saw nothing, can you explain?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

This may be moving to the Dedicated theater forum soon.

I do have a question on what to do with the ledges I will have on 2 sides of the room.
Anything interesting I can do with them?

Current idea, is that I can use a wainscot and type of panel on the bottom to give character to the room, with a chair rail just on the ledge. On top I was thinking about lining it with panels in a decorative pattern, with oc703 behind that.

Any pics of other theater's with this same ledge they have delt with?
Just looking for ideas
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page