Recessed Lighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am fixing to add 4 - 6" can lights in my living room on dimmer switches, I am looking at the expense of using LED lamps.

Here are the lamps:

http://www.iqlightbulbs.com/kolourone_satco_s8984_17par38_led_60_27k_wh_pa_2_0.asp

I have a few questions:

I have seen regular 6" housings and LED housings, can I use the regular housings or do I have to use the LED housings?

Remote control dimmer switches for LED lighting, does anyone have any recommendations?

Still torn on what trims to use? Regular? Eyeball?

I have about 3 1/2 weeks before I start this project, so any comments, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased some LED light bulbs from Costco to put in normal 6" recessed lighting cans we had added to our living room. Shouldn't have any issues at all as long as you get dimming LED bulbs.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yikes those are expensive. Where I live, the state is subsidizing certain LED bulbs, and I replaced all my recessed lights with $25 LED bulbs. Yes, $25 for a 65 watt equivalent (actually seems brighter than that to me) WITH trim. They use around 10 watts, so for my living room, I've gone from almost 400 watts to 60 watts. Also, trim alone costs at least $13 per recessed light, so $25 isn't really much more than that considering the trim is included.

Bob
post #4 of 6 Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I've done a couple such projects at work. Replaced 3600 Watts of Halogens with 540 Watts of LED in our auditorium for less than $500 and took the equivalent of 5 'Cadet Heaters' out of our boardroom for about $400 thanks to rebates. Working on a plan to replace all parking lot, street and walkway lighting with LED also.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just be aware of the varying level of dimming with the different bulb types. LED and CFL need special dimming switches. They don't dim as well and you can end up with clipping when you dim them too low (flickering). LED are better than CFL I think.

I ended up with expensive CFL/LED lutron dimmer 3way switches for about 15 cans in my basement, but the 4 cans in my theater room are incandescent bulbs on a standard remote dimmer. The other bulbs wouldn't dim enough.

At the time of my build, about 18 months ago CFL/LED compatible remote dimmer switches were not readily available. I assume demand has increased and you may find them now, but I spent literally hours searching the internet for one.

Also an unrelated consideration is color temperature of the different bulb options.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page