Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

Thanks for the excellent forum.

We bought a home recently that is pre-wired for surround. I am trying to understand the connections, and am hoping to get some help from this forum. I am a first time home theatre buyer as well - Yamaha VX-673 Receiver and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system.

Given below are three pictures. The top picture shows the pre-wired connections that go into the receiver. I can see two connections for each speaker, and one thick wire for the subwoofer. The middle picture is the woofer connection, and the bottom picture is the wire that comes out for satellite speaker connection.

Question 1: How do I connect the subwoofer connection to the Yamaha receiver? Do I have to use a connecting pin?

Question 2: In the Energy Sub Woofer, I see, not ONE, but two inputs. But I see only one wire coming out for the woofer connection (shown in the middle picture). How do I use this connection then?

Question 3: I was expecting to see two open wires each that go into each of the satellite speakers. But I only see a "loop" of wire coming out as shown in the bottom picture. This is puzzling to me. Can somebody help me understand this? Do I have to cut the loop to get the two connections for the satellite speaker?

I could have called the company that did the wiring but unfortunately they are out of business :(

Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adihome View Post

Hello,

Thanks for the excellent forum.

We bought a home recently that is pre-wired for surround. I am trying to understand the connections, and am hoping to get some help from this forum. I am a first time home theatre buyer as well - Yamaha VX-673 Receiver and Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker system.

Given below are three pictures. The top picture shows the pre-wired connections that go into the receiver. I can see two connections for each speaker, and one thick wire for the subwoofer. The middle picture is the woofer connection, and the bottom picture is the wire that comes out for satellite speaker connection.

Question 1: How do I connect the subwoofer connection to the Yamaha receiver? Do I have to use a connecting pin?
Question 2: In the Energy Sub Woofer, I see, not ONE, but two inputs. But I see only one wire coming out for the woofer connection (shown in the middle picture). How do I use this connection then?
Question 3: I was expecting to see two open wires each that go into each of the satellite speakers. But I only see a "loop" of wire coming out as shown in the bottom picture. This is puzzling to me. Can somebody help me understand this? Do I have to cut the loop to get the two connections for the satellite speaker?

I could have called the company that did the wiring but unfortunately they are out of business frown.gif

Thanks in Advance.

Answer 1: Google for "RG6 to RCA" and you'll find what you need. (I'm assuming that is RG6 Coax, you should verify)
Answer 2: If you mean the Left and Right inputs on the back of the sub... just pick one and it will work.
Answer 3: It's probably not a loop so much as they just left extra in the wall... If you pull on both sides of the "loop" you should be able to find an end. If you can't do that, but you have enough cable to work with, then you should be able to cut it and be just fine. You'll just have to figure out which is the good end and which is the short wasted piece that goes to nowhere.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The speaker wire looks normal and yes it appears that you need to cut it. For the rear satellite's you are going to need a wall plate to terminate the in wall cables.
Look here for them and any thing ells you need great website
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10425

Now for your sub, what is that seen in the photo is there a twisted pair of wires in the cover or a coax cable. If it's coax that they easy one, and this will work for both
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10424&cs_id=1042404&p_id=6212&seq=1&format=2
They have a nice little video. on it.
There is also compression connectors, and if you are handy and would rather spend a little money on tools and other needs rather then pay some one ells look here
http://www.satpro.tv/DB6RCAU.aspx
and once you get started you can do just about anything, and with a new home this is just the start.

the tools that you need can also be had at home depot and other home improvement stores.
This is another good sit for cables connectors. this link is for a RCA compression fitting but go and explore.
http://www.showmecables.com/product/holland-slcu6-rca-rca-male-compression-connector-rg6.aspx

Now if its twisted par what you are going to be looking for is something like this, and there is a little video to go with it. this is an example and once you get the idea you can find a lot on the web.
http://www.showmecables.com/product/RCA-Plug-Handle-Plastic-Red.aspx
Your AVR has RCA outputs for the sub so forget any thing ells.

There is one more thing that I think is a big help with speaker connections behind the AVR.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2944&seq=1&format=2
Have fun.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
For the surround speaker question - do you have two wires in that bundle for the surrounds? What do you see at the other surround speaker location?

The other possibility besides a loop of extra wire (which may be secured with staples to the joists), is that the wire is a 4-conductor cable, which would be cut and spliced so one pair continues on to the other speaker location. Which is why you need to figure out how many wires you have at the bundle-end...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the excellent replies. The SUB is a coax. One single solid wire. The satellites are a pair of wires each.

Is it normal to leave the speaker wires as a loop, rather than two open wires?

post #6 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the excellent replies. The SUB is a coax. One single solid wire. The satellites are a pair of wires each.

Is it normal to leave the speaker wires as a loop, rather than two open wires?

No, it's probably just secured in the ceiling. When the pre-wiring is done, the wiring has to be held in place and out of the way as the sheetrock goes on afterwards. Use a small mirror (or a cell phone's camera) to look into the cavity and see what's going on. You'll likely see a loop of wire stapled to the joist. A good installer would have left 5-10' of wire coiled up there, so that you can un-coil it and make the speaker connections while standing on the ground (not on a ladder).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Jautor,

Yes. The wires are stapled to a wooden beam. I tried pushing a camera inside, but tough to figure out which end is the source.

What do we need wall plates for?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jautor,

Yes. The wires are stapled to a wooden beam. I tried pushing a camera inside, but tough to figure out which end is the source.

What do we need wall plates for?

On the ceiling? You don't. That's just the simplest way for builders to leave the pre-wired speaker locations "finished". Now, if you want to hang speakers from mounts on the ceiling, you can use a wall plate to terminate the speaker wire. But it's a much cleaner look to cut holes and use in-ceiling speakers. You just have to be very careful to arrange the speaker close to the joist that the mud ring is attached to, so that the speaker's bezel, once installed, will cover the cut-out left by the mud ring (which you remove). This means the speaker gets installed very close to the joist - you have to leave enough clearance for the speaker to fit fairly snug against the joist to completely cover any gaps, but not too close that the swing-out clips don't fully extend (because they hit the joist too soon). Hope that makes sense - it's easier to understand if you've got an in-ceiling speaker to look at.

Oh, and with a 6-8" round hole cut in the ceiling, it's much easier to figure out which side of that cable is the "end". smile.gif
Jeff
adihome likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hello all,

One more question. Hopefully the last. For the SUB cable, I have a COAX. But the woofer has two inputs, left and right. Do I need a splitter. Will that give better quality than pinning the RCA into one input only?

post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
What is need is the name and #'s of your gear. The single coax cable would be for low-frequency effects or the LFE input on the sub, and thats only if there is a single pre amp out put on your AVR labeled SUB OUT. If your AVR has speaker line level out's they well be a red and white out puts labeled SUB, in that case it may need 2 y cables to work. Also your 2 RCA inputs may be labeled for the LFE. the manufactures try to cover all the basses
post #11 of 12 Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

I have a new problem. Two wire outputs for the speaker connections are not long enough to reach my speaker. The technician did leave extra wire but he stapled it to the beams in the ceiling. I have no way to access the stapled pins and remove them.

If I daisy chain the speaker wire with two banana plugs will that affect the audio quality? I mean, if I terminate the existing wire with a banana plug, and then connect an extension wire to it that goes into my speaker - will this create any noticeable noise?

Thanks.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-07-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just splice a short jumper wire onto the end. Twist the wires and use a wire nuts to secure it. And no, there will be no loss in quality. It's just a simple electrical connection.
adihome likes this.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page