New HT Equipment Setup Help: p60st, yamah rx-v473, pannasonic bdt-230 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi all,

I've been lurking these forums for a while now to help decide what to buy for my new home theater setup and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.  I'm somewhat new to home theater but have some basic knowledge in electronics mostly from helping friends and a car audio hobby.

I could use some help in getting the best out of my new equipment that is arriving this week and thought I'd put in my first post to get it going.  My equipment is as follows:

Panasonic P60ST60 ($1500 from Amazon)

Panasonic BDT-230 ($73 from Amazon with AMEX promotion)

Yamaha RX-473 Refurb ($220 from accessories4 less, appreciate the recommendations)

Martin Logan MLT-2 ($150 from Newegg, for $150 I'll take my chances on a faulty sub)

(3) HDMI 6FT ROSE RC-6-HDM-MM-BK-3 ($6 from Newegg)

Stepping up from a 32" LCD, I'm pretty excited about this as its my first real venture into a decent home theater system.  I think at <$2000, I have a pretty good setup going.  I figure I can upgrade sound when I buy a place of my own (and the TV was suppose to be my whole budget at $1500).

I'm thinking: Blu-ray HDMI out -> receiver HDMI 1 in

HD cable HDMI out-> receiver HDMI 2 in

receiver HDMI 1 out-> TV HDMI in 1

Now to my questions:

After reading about breaking-in plasmas with slides, calibration, I'm pretty confused on the best course of action.  I've decided I'll just watch TV/movies regularly and avoid static logos for the first 100 hrs or so, but would it be useful to plug in calibration settings from the start then be done with it or wait until the TV has had some use and then do that?  Or will it make any difference at all?  Basically, how I can get the best picture from the TV?

With the blu-ray, receiver, and TV all being "smart", and the TV the only one actually Wi-Fi ready, which would be the best source for streaming, mostly Pandora radio and maybe you-tube from time to time?  I have free wi-fi in the apartment complex I'm in, but a somewhat weak signal if that makes a difference, no wired source.  I'm OK with buying a dongle for the receiver or blu-ray player.

Any advice on how to get the most out of this setup would be appreciated, including anybody's experiences on these individual pieces.

Thanks!

Zach

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Dmpbdt230 Wi Fi Blu Ray Player , Martin Logan Mlt 2 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page