Need suggestions for family room with fireplace and no ideal wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to set up a home theater in a family room in a house we are about to move in to.

In my current setup, I've got the screen centered on a viewing wall and have a 3-seat couch immediately opposite the wall. I have floor standing speakers left and right up front and bookshelf speakers left and right in the rear. Very conventional setup, very symmetrical layout. Current components include Onkyo receiver, Panasonic BD, Roku XDS, XBOX 360, and FiOS control box. Speakers are older Advent units.

Attached is a picture and diagram of my new location. I've never dealt with a layout like this before. Looking for suggestions on how to get the best setup in such an odd location. These are realtor pictures, so the setup is not mine.

Some good news: TV is a clean slate for me (my current prized RPTV just kicked the bucket), so I can do just about anything here. I'd like to retain as much of the old stuff as I possibly can.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

roomlayout_zps0a630d58.jpg

picture-uh3c79abc2fb8793e4c2a1f17fade9b83-psce9268ca3d2db872e817a8cddaa8c96_zpsf9c67a85.jpg

picture-uh68431e19b92ef9797157f8935671cd9-ps4c3d50a685a19b9b2969f4cbee121b75_zps9d7f8bf0.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is why fireplaces suck. If they're not sealed (and use input air from and exhaust to outside), they're just energy-sucking holes in your building's envelope. I have a similar setup (in terms of fireplace/TV, and there's no good way to do this. Or at least I haven't found one.

Bob
post #3 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, this is a sealed fireplace (propane) and does kick heat back to the room via a fan underneath. Very effective at warming up the room, unlike the vented gas log set that I have in my current home.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Got room in the basement to build a HT and leave this a fireplace sitting room without a video display?

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Got room in the basement to build a HT and leave this a fireplace sitting room without a video display?

Basement is unfinished, that's certainly a future possibility, but not something I can do right now. Regardless, I will need some sort of TV in this family room for the family...
post #6 of 16 Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
TV on the wall opposite the windows? Couch near-ish the fireplace?
post #7 of 16 Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Is it really that bad of an idea to put the TV above the fireplace? If I could drop the mantle shelf a little bit and get a mount that angles it down, I have enough depth in the room that I can't imagine it would be an ergonomic issue sitting in one of the rear chairs. The rest of the speaker placement issues would go away instantly...
post #8 of 16 Old 12-14-2013, 09:01 PM

There's no reason why you can't place a TV above the fireplace. By the looks of your posted pictures, you have a mantel shelf that will deflect direct heat towards the tv. I have a similar set up when I moved to my new home. The only difference I have are ceiling mounted speakers. One suggestion though, make sure you get a the TV bracket properly mounted. Other then that it looks like a great place to enjoy!
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The reason is that you'll be looking several feet up into the air. Your neck will hurt after a while. Compare the TV where it is now with where it will have to go. Plus, how do you run cabling? At least where I am, I have drywall above the fireplace. I could theoretically cut into the drywall, but with rock behind, it's going to be tough to do that.

Bob
post #10 of 16 Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

The reason is that you'll be looking several feet up into the air. Your neck will hurt after a while. Compare the TV where it is now with where it will have to go. Plus, how do you run cabling? At least where I am, I have drywall above the fireplace. I could theoretically cut into the drywall, but with rock behind, it's going to be tough to do that.

I figure that if I'm sitting 20+ feet back from the TV, and if I get a mount that angles slightly down, that it shouldn't be that much of a 'stretch' (pun intended).

I do have 120V power right on the stone wall above the mantle. I need to check if there are any signal cables there. If not, I've seen some devices that allow for HD streaming from a base station to a module that can be mounted right behind the TV. I was thinking of something like this for getting signal to the TV.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Do you use the fireplace? Nothing wrong with putting the TV in it and playing Yule Log on DVD.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 12
I am thinking some black out curtains and automated projector screen. You could even leave your room in its current configuration and have the screen drop down over the back door.

We had a similar fireplace problem at our house. We got a 32" screen for casual viewing and a projector for cinema and games. The screen drops down nicely over the fireplace. Everyone in our house has been very happy with the system. The big thing is to get some good black out curtains. I also recommend getting a a tab tensioned screen (it is the kind that uses a string and tabs running along the sides to hold the surface flat.) Elite Screens makes some very good bang for the buck electric screens. There customer service was also very good when we needed them. If you go this route, shop around, because the prices of Elite Screens models from 3rd party vendors vary a lot.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Liked: 16
I had a similar setup for my family room. It appears that the stones were done relatively recently. Do you have any extra or could identify the manufacturer of them so you can replace or add to them? If so, I'd remove the mantel and install the TV above it. Before you commit to that, take a thermometer in the area where the TV will go and fire up the fireplace. Make sure it doesn't get too hot for a tv.

If you commit to a TV there and can get some replacement stones, you can flank either side of the fireplace with built-in bookcases w/ lower cabinets and run your AVR,Cable, etc. there and just have the one HDMI cord to run to the TV. You'll have to go ceiling inwall for center speaker unless you run a thin bar center made for your TV directly below and attached to it.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Here's an option for over-the-fireplace TV mounting that gives you much better viewing angles:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453710/solution-to-tv-over-a-fireplace-dynamic-mountings-down-and-out-swivel-mount
post #15 of 16 Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Revisiting this thread as I'm about to pull the trigger on furniture for this room...

Would anyone consider putting a three-seat couch caddy-corner to the location of the TV in the pictures? Basically having the couch right across from the TV in the "corner" of the room with a chair to the left along the wall and a chair to the right in the other corner. It would "stick out" in to the room, but it would relieve the situation of not sitting directly across from the TV.

Thanks!
post #16 of 16 Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see no problem. It's done all the time
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page