Logitech Z-906 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I am looking to get the above speakers to replace the Logitech X-540 set that I have currently connected to my media pc. With the bad television speakers, my flatmates and I were at a loss as to what to do about that - we were looking at receivers or amps, and I even looked at an old 5.1 dvd speaker set I had to see if I could use those (and posted about here in another thread), but the problem with the X-540 series is that they use phono cable, and everyone I spoke to who was knowledgeable about receivers had no idea if a phono to banana plug adapter existed.

So now I'm looking at these speakers as a kind of one in all solution - they have two optical inputs, which, I am assuming, I can connect to my television and have everything connected to that television use the Logitech Z-906's instead of the tv speakers. We have the following devices hooked up to the television -

Sky+ box - HDMI
Wii U - HDMI
Wii - Component
XBox 360/PS4 - HDMI

What I am assuming, and would like someone here to clarify, is if I could hook up my television to to the speakers via one of the optical inputs, then select the external speakers from the tv's menu and have everything connected to the tv (bar the Wii) output to the Z-906. Is this correct? If connected in this manner, could every device hooked up this way that is capable of 5.1 sound use Dolby or DTS?

If I'm being too vague or you need more information, please post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most TV's will support Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding pass through but not DTS. I have all of my equipment hooked up via HDMI to my TV and run an D - Coax cable to my 15 year old Kenwood receiver.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-13-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

So, by hooking up my tv to the Z-906 via the optical input, everything that's connected to the television via HDMI will be able to get Dolby 5.1, just not DTS? I know the Wii U only supports LPCM, but the Z-906 has this, so ignoring that, everything else should get Dolby 5.1 through the optical input between television and speakers?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM

I will not guarantee it, because all TV's are different but that is exactly what I do. So it is possible, yes. and I would not assume that you're TV will pass LPCM signal though. as long as your TV has an optical audio out. Most TV 'd use D coax.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

That's great man, thanks. We're upgrading our television in January to a Samsung UE46F5500AKXXU, and I can't find any information on LPCM, but even if it doesn't carry that, the 2.1 stereo that the Wii U would output without it would still be miles better than what the television can output on it's own.

That's all I needed to know, cheers!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I thought I'd post here once more just to be sure. We are going ahead and buying a new television tomorrow, the Sharp Aquos LC-50LE650E. It has a coax out instead of optical out, which the Z-906 has as an input. Using that connection would be the same thing as optical out, right? Since they are both digital? The new tv unfortunatey does not have optical out, just coax out, and I have no experience of this port at all.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Yep, coax and toslink are just 2 connectors for SPDIF. Should work.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Fantastic, thanks! smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Did you go with the Logitech z906? And where did you get it from?

I am asking because I prefer my Logitech 200watt THX to my "new" receiver/energy speakers and rather than spending "much" more on quality speakers, I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and going with the Z906.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for not replying to this before now, Steve, I haven't been on the forum in a while.

We chose not to go with the Logitech in the end as we saw a good deal on the Pioneer HTP-072 HTiB, and have gone with that. Which receiver/speaker set do you have? We've been pretty impressed with ours, though obviously the passive sub isn't as aggressive as even that on the X-540.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Now it is my turn to apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but I was waiting for my new front and center speakers to arrive.  When you responded to my post I had just ordered Infinity front and center speakers from Amazon.  Prior to this, my "system" (only had it for about 6 to 8 weeks) was a Yamaha 375 with the Energy Take One (Classic) speakers, and to be honest (despite the great reviews) the speakers were/are "weak/plain/bad/waste of money".  I even added another sub-woofer and repaired the Energy sub (I fried the voice coil after two weeks of ownership while trying to get the sound to match the Logitech), but it was still missing "something".

I tried out my new Infinity center last night with the four remaining Energy speakers and the sound is greatly improved.  Hopefully the other two speakers will arrive today and sound as impressive as the center. I still went "cheap" and paid under $300 for the new speakers, but now I can live with a system I had given up on.  The thing I noticed about the Infinity center was that my volume, which I had set to -10.5 for a comfortable sound with the Energy speakers, is now at about -18.5 and the "system" has a much richer sound.

If I had it to do over, I would have just gone with the 5.1 Logitech or a HTiB for "plug and play" simplicity and cost.  I'm into it (sound)  for a little over a thousand now and I know I would have been happier with sticking with what I had (2.1 Logitech), or the 5.1 Logitech, or a HTiB.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page