bought my own house so i can have a theater again :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

just getting started on this , so excited. i have a few extra rooms in my house. im single again and have a pretty large house, so room to play. not a high budget though, still paying for the last ex. so i ripped a wall out in my basement. i have a 25 foot long room. as you can see its thin, only 9 feet 9 inches wide the first 13 feet, then its 13 feet wide. i am a truck driver so little time to work on this, only home on weekends. but i cleared the room out myself, and hired a guy to drywall. i had him put wire in for a 9.2 system. i wanted the speaker wire coming out the very top corners but hoping i can make this work. does a screen mount off the wall or totally flat on it? if i can mount it a half inch off the wall i can run the wire up and out, its irritating though, maybe just gotta cut it out before i paint.
drywall and mudding is done, carpet goes in tomorrow, really tried painting first but was rushed and broke, our christmas party is in that room mainly so i just want carpet for now.
i have a mishmash of speakers from before, klipsch surrounds, a def tech sub, infinity front, and pioneer towers, probably gonna get all new but may need to use these until i can afford it. i have had these in storage for 5 years so maybe not in shape anyway.
i have a beam on the ceiling at the 13 foot mark so hoping i can put a projector in front of that. trying to figure out how to do the speakers on the front wall, pretty tight if i want a large screen. i dont know. maybe some thin wall mounted speakers. i could get a 7.5 foot wide screen and have enough to have about a ft wide speakers. but may look odd.

i plan to have either two couches with one on a riser, or a few rows of seats, the first is in the thinner area so maybe only 2 wide, two more rows could be 3 or 4 depending on the size.
with a 25 foot long room i should maybe have 5 feet unused at the back? its 13 wide so i plan to put a tv sideways there, for the xbox and kinect and to hold all the electronics.

hoping to put a sub in the front right corner and back right corner.
realizing i know so little about projectors im having fun researching though.

hoping to save up and have a budget for the screen,projector and receiver of maybe 4,000. may take a couple months so just waiting and seeing if anything new comes out. i could always buy something i see on sale i guess smile.gif that would get me going with my theater and can always upgrade the speakers later. but so many things to buy frown.gif i have another 25 x 13 room i plan to make a game room. gotta figure a budget or something.

so far 300 for a dumpster, 780 to drywall and mud, 150 for the in wall speaker wire,200 for the sheetrock itself, 500 for the carpet and install
so about 1900 to go from a wasted space to a carpeted and sheetrocked room, ready to really get into the fun stuff.
i dont have the crazy budget some of you do but still should be able to make this fun. gonna do little things like new lights and some trim the next few weeks. then if i kick ass at work for a month maybe ill have the 4k i want for the electronics smile.gif

lol, not that anyone cares but im just excited, and had a 14 hour workday so im kinda zoning out doing all this writing, looking on craigslist for my side surrounds, gonna use my old ones for the height effects. not gonna mount anything though in case my budget goes up , christmas bonus please smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Good luck man. 4k just for electronics will be nice. I don't consider that a small budget smile.gif 9.2 in that size room should be crazy.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

ya the 4k is a little higher than i planned on, i had wanted to put this together, put my speakers up, and get the benq 1070 and a cheap reciever, i could have my theater going for 1400 bucks, but i think delaying it and really picking out what i want will be worth it. the carpet was installed today. so now on my week off next week i can do some cheaper things to it, electrical, baseboards,stuff like that. still have to think about seating and electronics
post #4 of 13 Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
It has taken me a while but I've finally learned that lesson. Waiting for what you really want / spending more for quality is the way to go if you can swing it. Regarding your question about the PJ screen being flat against the wall... you can do it however you want. Most people build the screen on a frame, so the frame is mounted on the wall but the screen material itself is a couple of inches out from the wall. You should definitely be able to come up with something where you can run cables behind your screen.
BTW since you mentioned the 1070, if you're interested in a used (~300 hours on it) W1100 let me know.
Not sure what speakers you are thinking about, but you might check out the Infinity Primus line. They are great bang-for-your-buck and since you're going 9.2 that could get really expensive. What subs are you thinking about, or have you got that far yet?
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have a def tech sub I'll use for now if it still works. I see a lot of good things about svs .was thinking about adding one soon then later on replace the def tech if needed.I'll look at the infinity. So many options out there. Back in 05 I was really into this. I forget how fun it is. Now is my chance lol. really the main thing I may need help on is the projector. Would love a 2.35 screen cause I'll use it almost purely for movies.but reading about lenses and projector positions ugh.may just have geek squad in when I order that. But still time.still reading.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

just a quick pick from the next step, carpeting, next is paint. the table is just for christmas smile.gif
post #7 of 13 Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

One more step down smile.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would carve out 30" of room depth in the 9'9" wide section for an acoustically transparent space.
SeymourAV XD material and I would be thinking 54x96" as a minimal screen size. Now your LRC and sub
are out of sight, and you have room to make any future speaker upgrades and do so easily.

You could also build some manual screen masks.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Been over a month.but been so busy. Finally finished another step. The trim around the floor and ceiling and blocking an ugly area where a wall was. Fun to see more progress. Finally at the point I'll start working on the electronics. I'm thinking one row of seats first. One step at a time. smile.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just sort of updating this for fun.got a benq w1500 and tried it on a bed sheet to help pick a screen size.really got me excited about this.wow. so cool to see. Ordering my receiver Tuesday when taxes come. Getting close to done. Or close to using it at least smile.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Still trying to keep it somewhat on a reasonable budget.I have a bunch of stuff in my amazon cart.last few hrs to change my mind. So far an elite screen 100" fixed frame. An Xbox one.a pioneer 1523 9.2 receiver. the cables. 4 144hz 3d glasses.and the one I'm excited about is the svs pb2000 subwoofer.. I also have a two seat theater seat.power recline.leather.. gonna pretty much have it all besides the second row of seats and a TV for the rear and I suppose a riser. But for me and one guest I should be ready after the weekend
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 13 Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

One more step done. 4 more seats on a 9 inch high carpeted riser
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms