Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstivers302 View Post

Saturday was pretty much a bust for basement work....except for finding this steal on craigslist,

Good thing the price was right, considering it took me and a buddy almost 5 hours to disassemble it, fight this beast up a flight of stairs from the sellers basement, down the stairs to my basement, and reassemble/level all over again. But once it was set up, the family and I had a great time with it last night.

Now, other than a counter-height bar table and 6-8 stools, pretty much all the furnishings and major purchases needed are complete. Bar cabinet countertop/sink should be installed by midweek. I plan to work several evenings this week on the finishing touches in hopes of showing it off with a christening party for a few couples next weekend.

Sweet! I have a table similar in my garage that the wife found. Just waiting for the basement to get done now to set it up smile.gif

Also on the Tivo stuff thanks for the info guys. Looks like a definate possible way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 110
TiVo is pretty tight with Best Buy, so just walk in and they usually have one up and running so you can play with the interface.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
SUNDAY UPDATE: LED Strip Lighting Installation. Although I'm not finished with it yet, here are some progress pics of the under cabinet and bar cabinet light installation. All total this setup cost me around $75 from a LED wholesaler on ebay. I ran new electrical outlets on the back side of the bar wall (closet) off switches so I can turn the lights off with a switch, but still have the option to dim them using the knob dimmer provided (mounted inside the door of the closet)...One dimmer for the under-cab's, one for the bar cabinet lighting.

Bar Cabinets - BEFORE...

Bar Cabinets - AFTER (Yeah, I'm a bourbon guy...I'm from Kentucky after all!)

But I still like to keep a stocked fridge...smile.gif
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Looks okay, but there is no Templeton Rye in there. -1

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Looks okay, but there is no Templeton Rye in there. -1
mn
LOL...(-1). I'll have to try that one. Being from KY, my tastes tend to be more for Kentucky style bourbons...and there are certainly enough of those made here to keep you busy trying them all out. I'm still trying to get my hands on one of those rare bottles of Pappy Van Winkle! The bar cabinet on the other side will primarily display tequilas and the latest thing...moonshine. haha! There's not really other spirits worth having besides bourbon, tequila and moonshine are there?!?! Everything else (vodkas, gins, rums, mixers, etc) will go in the cabinets below the bar counter.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:

mn
LOL...(-1). I'll have to try that one. Being from KY, my tastes tend to be more for Kentucky style bourbons...and there are certainly enough of those made here to keep you busy trying them all out. I'm still trying to get my hands on one of those rare bottles of Pappy Van Winkle! The bar cabinet on the other side will primarily display tequilas and the latest thing...moonshine. haha! There's not really other spirits worth having besides bourbon, tequila and moonshine are there?!?! Everything else (vodkas, gins, rums, mixers, etc) will go in the cabinets below the bar counter.

All it takes is a bit of the Templeton and an ice cube....

Unrelated, every time I see your handle on here, I think of this:

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

All it takes is a bit of the Templeton and an ice cube....

Unrelated, every time I see your handle on here, I think of this:

Hahaha! Absolutely no relation to the Stivers Ford guys (thank goodness!)...but that's one funny video!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Gotta love flea markets! The search for a counter-height table and stools set concluded yesterday thanks to Craigslist. After spending a couple of weeks scouring online and local furniture stores for a table/stools set I'd be happy with (and wouldn't break the bank) I turned to Craigslist once again (after the success with the foosball table find). I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get anything decent for under $600-800 minimum, and that was killing me...because I worked as a regional sales manager for a furniture importer for years, and I know the markup on furniture is ridiculous.

Enter Craigslist, who just yesterday had a new listing for a NEW table and 4 stools/chairs at a flea market store in the area. So I took a long lunch and drove all the way out there and bought it on the spot. It still had the manufacturer's tags on it which gave me the name and model number for it. Googled it while standing there looking at it and everywhere online it listed for between $900 and $1500 new. So $400 later I had a new table and chairs loaded in the car and headed home. Reassembled it last night and it fits the bill perfectly. It has a hideaway butterfly leaf, so it goes from 36"W x 54" to 54" square when the leaf is in...allowing me to keep it small unless I need the extra seating, etc.. I may buy a couple of cheap backless stools since there's room for 8 seats around the extended table. Don't know why it was so cheap...cosmetically it's perfect except for one small mar on the top finish...and I may have even done that to it when loading it by myself since I didn't see it in the store.

Either way...it's home now and I'm happy. All purchases needed for the basement are now complete...only awaiting countertop/sink (to be installed on Thursday). After that, from an appearance standpoint, everything is finished. I have some additional wiring hookups and cleanup to do...but almost at the finish line now.

Extended table in store...

Without the leaf, in the basement...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

That's really sharp! And great deal! You gotta love that when that happens. smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, did you ever consider building a bar in that area? I am planning a bar but wish I had the space you have there. Either way your basement looks amazing! I love what your doing with the led light strips also. Enjoy your basement and all the hard work you put into it!

P.S. I am going to start insulation of the walls this weekend in my build smile.gif. I go out of town for a much needed vacation to Aruba the following weekend with the fam. Then back home to wrap up the insulation and final framing touch ups then it's DRYWALL TIME!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

That's really sharp! And great deal! You gotta love that when that happens. smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, did you ever consider building a bar in that area? I am planning a bar but wish I had the space you have there. Either way your basement looks amazing! I love what your doing with the led light strips also. Enjoy your basement and all the hard work you put into it!

P.S. I am going to start insulation of the walls this weekend in my build smile.gif. I go out of town for a much needed vacation to Aruba the following weekend with the fam. Then back home to wrap up the insulation and final framing touch ups then it's DRYWALL TIME!!!

Gec,

A bar build-out actually never even came into the equation...not that I wouldn't love a full-blown bar, but with two teenage kids I didn't want to put that much emphasis on it as a bar. Get my drift? That, plus the fact that several of my neighbor buddys have done similar wet bar cabinet setups with a large, multipurpose table and I really liked how practical it was and gave them a little more flexibility with the space. We (the neighbor guys) play texas hold'em a couple times per month, and those big tables come in very useful, whereas if I'd used that space for a "bar-bar" we'd end up on a card table in front of the couch. If I had more room, maybe...but space was just too precious down there.

Awesome on your progress! I tell you what, once you get to that drywall phase things seem to go much quicker. Sounds like a great vacation too! I actually just got off the phone with AAA Travel to start plans for an Hawaiian Island vacation we're planning on taking this summer. Gotta get one more good vacation in before my oldest heads off to college in 1 1/2 years. Uggghhh.

Good luck with the insulation...keep us posted!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Ahh I gotchya there. My kids are only 7 and 5 years old so I think I have a little time before I have to worry about marking the liquor bottles smile.gif. I have to say that I may rethink my plans a bit. I do really want to build a bar but in the mean time maybe a nice table would fit the bill until I can re plentish the budget. Will see. I just want to get past the drywall phase. As you say I feel things will really start to move then. All these little details are taking it's toll on me. I really wish I could just take a full week off of work to get down there. I'm also 3 classes away from a computer science degree as well so between work and school and trying to get things done in the basement it's hard to find any time. Soon enough though I'll be done with School and past some of the hard stuff and actually get to start to enjoy the basement!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Liked: 11
mstivers302,

Back onto the Monoprice HDBase-T kit, I'm trying to find what the dimensions are for the receiver unit. I've contacted Monoprice but haven't received a response. Any chance you could measure the receiver box and post the dimensions? I'm trying to determine if I could fit it behind a planned wall-mount TV.

Thanks, Damon
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonb10 View Post

mstivers302,

Back onto the Monoprice HDBase-T kit, I'm trying to find what the dimensions are for the receiver unit. I've contacted Monoprice but haven't received a response. Any chance you could measure the receiver box and post the dimensions? I'm trying to determine if I could fit it behind a planned wall-mount TV.

Thanks, Damon

Damon,
You shouldn't have any issues fitting it behind a wall mount TV. I measured the receiver unit this morning and it's appx 4.5"W x 3"D x 1"H. Only potential issue I can see is that you might have to fabricate some kind of bracket setup to keep it in place, as there are no threaded holes for a mounting bracket of any type. Even so, I'm sure it could be done...I did the same type thing with my old Apple TV using a couple of L-brackets and a strip of masonite.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure it's not a heavy piece of equipment. I'd get a roll of velcro and strap it in. Use enough to make it secure and It should be fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sure it's not a heavy piece of equipment. I'd get a roll of velcro and strap it in. Use enough to make it secure and It should be fine.

Exactly...it's about the size and weight of a 4-port ethernet hub, velcro should hold it fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Damon,
You shouldn't have any issues fitting it behind a wall mount TV. I measured the receiver unit this morning and it's appx 4.5"W x 3"D x 1"H. Only potential issue I can see is that you might have to fabricate some kind of bracket setup to keep it in place, as there are no threaded holes for a mounting bracket of any type. Even so, I'm sure it could be done...I did the same type thing with my old Apple TV using a couple of L-brackets and a strip of masonite.

Thanks a bunch for the info!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a little Friday afternoon "tease" photo of the nearly finished bar area. Hope to post "near final" photos this weekend sometime. This countertop (yes, a laminate!) was even more awesome once installed than what I saw in the showroom. Look for more pics soon!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Here are a few more photos of the nearly finished basement remodel. We're pretty much down to final wiring cleanup in the A/V closet now and hanging prints and other decorating elements. Final enough that we hosted our first small party in the basement in probably 10 years on Saturday night to watch college basketball. We had about 10 adults and 9-10 kids...adults gathered around the bar/bar table as I'd hoped and we sent the kids off to the upstairs to play xbox on the temporary setup I did for them in the family room upstairs. I was very pleased at the roomy feeling and openness of the new setup. With the open floor plan it felt like even those who gathered to watch the games on the PJ screen or played pool and/or foosball were still part of the action. Tons of compliments (which obviously made us feel really good) and everybody even wanted me to play some movie clips to show off the 9.2 surround setup. After a few more improvements (and restocking the bar after my bourbon collection got ravaged pretty hard...LOL) we hope to have another get-together in a week or so. It was an awesome feeling to have that "destination" basement back again after all these years. Thanks to everyone who followed and for all the suggestions...and hopefully the documentation of my modest little remodel helps someone else along the way.

I still hope to post more/better photos (and maybe even a video walkthrough) soon...but here are a few more quick shots before everyone arrived Saturday night.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Outstanding.  I really enjoyed following this build.  You've ended up with a beautiful space!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonecoaster1 View Post

Outstanding.  I really enjoyed following this build.  You've ended up with a beautiful space!

Thanks Zone! It certainly turned out as I'd hoped and I've found that we're using the space even more than I expected...that's a win-win.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Like Ive said before,A+ HT what was your first movie in your theater? I bet Gravity would be amazing!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Like Ive said before,A+ HT what was your first movie in your theater? I bet Gravity would be amazing!!!

Thanks again dholmes! We are enjoying it immensely. Last weekend we hosted a party for 5 couples and their kids, this weekend I'm having the "fellas" over for poker & pool on Saturday while the wife and kids are out. It has been really fun to have a "new and improved" area to entertain in and enjoy as a family.

Our first movie in the full setup (9.2) was Thor: The Dark World. It was between that and "Gravity" but the kids chose Thor first. Today I picked up The Hunger Games: Catching Fire blu ray...so I'm sure our next movie will be choosing between Gravity and HG:CF. I've also picked up a few concert blu rays of some of my favorite artists and have enjoyed snippets of them so far...U2:360 Tour, The Eagles: Farewell Tour, Dave Matthews Band: Live, and Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D Tour (I don't have 3d, but theres a 2d disk in the set). Let me tell you...those sound great in the new setup.

Also picked up the Disney: World of Wonder calibration blu ray. I still haven't calibrated anything or run Audessey on the AVR...I can't imagine the results when I do...everything already looks and sounds great. Anyone have any experiences using the Disney: Wow disk? It got good reviews here and elsewhere and I figured I'd give it a shot.

I appreciate the feedback though. I still need to get up "Final-Final" photos and/or videos...we've just been enjoying it so much I haven't gotten around to it yet! LOL
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Gravity is a reference disk to show off your system,also Pacific Rim.Have fun and Ill take a shot of Makers with a Bud Lite plz!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Watched Gravity from our AppleTV in 1080P and it was indeed reference grade! Would highly recommend you watch it ASAP.
Just downloaded HG.CF, will watch that this weekend.
Will be interested in the results from the Disney: WoW DVD Test/setup.
Again, great result in your HT/FR, enjoy!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Gah!!! I'm gong on vacation timorrow. how am I suppose to enjoy aruba with all this talk of what movies I could be watching!!! :-) it will be nice to get away but it will be sweet to get back and finish my build! Enjoy yourself!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Gah!!! I'm gong on vacation timorrow. how am I suppose to enjoy aruba with all this talk of what movies I could be watching!!! :-) it will be nice to get away but it will be sweet to get back and finish my build! Enjoy yourself!
Well if you'd rather, I'd be happy to go to Aruba instead, and you can then stay home and watch all those movies, and finish your build! biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hahah ill suck it and tough it out. I have something to loom forward to when I get back. smile.gif