Help me get my dad's TV room sounding the best it can! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
My dad just finished construction and installation of a new TV viewing room.

It has pretty bad acoustics with much echo.

Walls are drywall, vaulted ceiling is drywall, floor is refinished maple. Not so many soft surfaces.

We have a full 7.2 setup consisting of:

Yamaha RX-A2020
Yamaha NS-IW960 (3) for front in-walls
Yamaha NS-IW660 (4) for side surround and rear surrounds also (in-walls)
Yamaha YST-SW315 (2) Subwoofers

I've ran YPAO many times and believe I've tweaked it as far as i can without manually changing the RX-A2020's equalizer.

I believe we need to add some sound absorbing panels to reduce echo and help stop the "highs" from bouncing all over.

When listening to music, there seems to be a lack of mids and the highs are piercing, especially out of the YPAO calibrated sweet spots.

Please find some pictures attached.

Any suggestions welcome. My first thought is to add some sound absorbing tiles above and slightly below the air vent you'll see in the pictures. I think i should also ad as many as i can on the rear wall...

But if there is some RX-A2020 setting I missed, I'd love to hear about that too smile.gif

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the proposed sound panel arrangement from the interior decorator. She doesn't know sound, but the layout will look good.

Thoughts? Waste or helpful?

post #3 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think one of the first and least expensive items potentially would be to add curtains to those windows. You would be amazed how much something that simple would improve the acoustics.

I am also assuming you tried the Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer? I always found they are a good way to start.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackride View Post

I think one of the first and least expensive items potentially would be to add curtains to those windows. You would be amazed how much something that simple would improve the acoustics.

I am also assuming you tried the Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer? I always found they are a good way to start.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've ran the YPAO many times and gathered a couple listening spots. I've done up to 3 but maybe i need to do the full 8?

Curtains would be an option. I'll consult with the boss smile.gif

post #5 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
A nice fluffy rug in the middle of the room would be another good step and, like the curtains, serves multiple purposes, too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

A nice fluffy rug in the middle of the room would be another good step and, like the curtains, serves multiple purposes, too...

Thanks for the suggestions.

What does everyone think about sound absorbing wall panels? Would they make a difference?

post #7 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post

What does everyone think about sound absorbing wall panels? Would they make a difference?

They will certainly help the slap-echo and higher frequencies, but it's tough to tell how much. Which is why we're suggesting things like rugs and curtains first. Those will do their primary job regardless - and if they don't tame the room acoustics, then you can move on to specialty products. But even if they don't do much for the acoustics, they're still useful!

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
With Audyssey it helps to run all the listening positions over just a few (and in a pattern) but don't know YPAO. What acoustical panels is the interior decorator selling?

post #9 of 11 Old 12-25-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion!

Another idea I had was to create "boxes" behind each in-wall speaker. Would this help?

post #10 of 11 Old 12-25-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post

Another idea I had was to create "boxes" behind each in-wall speaker. Would this help?

It would reduce the sound leakage to adjacent rooms, but it won't change the room acoustics at all. Only stuff "in" the room can affect that...
MeatHead88 likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It would reduce the sound leakage to adjacent rooms, but it won't change the room acoustics at all. Only stuff "in" the room can affect that...

Thanks!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Yamaha Ns Iw960 6 5 2 Way In Wall Speaker System For Custom Installations White , Yamaha Ns Iw660 3 Way In Wall Speaker System For Custom Install White , Yamaha Yst Sw315pn 10 Powered Subwoofer Piano Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page