KeyesVille 1.5 Mancave turned Family Media Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello AVS Members! I am a long time lurker on this forum (aprox 3 years) and have learned so much from all of you that have contributed to this VERY educational site. The plan here is to document the progress/ improvements being made on my own basement Mancave so that, if all things turn out well, others can learn from and see how the ideas I borrowed (stole) from this website have been integrated in a different setting (my basement). I'm going to warn you all I tend to add CAPS and () to highlight my thoughts and or emotions. If this is going to bother you please hit the eject button now and get out while you can.

The Back ground:
My wife and I bought our first home three years ago. We picked this home the moment we stepped foot in the basement KNOWING(more caps) that we would be able to make improvements for the better. Three years has now passed. I have completed all the projects upstairs that were on the "must have" list to make things livable. I have made the executive order to now move forward with the basement mancave remodel. The little general (wonderful wife) has provided presidential approval of this project by supplying me with a beer fridge for Christmas and instructing the family to give me home depot gift cards and nothing else. We are also planning on having kids soon so I better get moving or this project may NEVER get done. (Strike while the iron is hot!)

The plans:
Original plans were to go full on Man CAVE with this project. The little general has begun calling it a family Media room (I'll take it as the name change does not affect the plans).

The above plan out line shows the available space for the room. The red block at the back of the room is a large woodstove which I will be treating as an immovable object for the purposes of this first version of this project. The odd shape of the basement presents some challenges both with seating and potential surround sound options. I set up the current lay out with a 98” projection screen on what I will call the front wall. I have already cut open (last night) a space for a DIY built in AV Rack in the angled wall to the left of the projection wall.

I am planning on painting the projection wall, AV rack wall and the stair wall on the right all a dark gray color. (all colors preapproved by the LG) I may be able to get some approval on also painting 3 or 4 feet of the ceiling that color as well, but not much more than that. I’m not going to push my luck on this front. I plan on having a bar in the space to the back right of the movie area and maybe a future foosball and or arcade games set up as well.

Room Specs and Current Equipment:( Next post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Room Specs and Current Equipment:
The room will be used for primarily Movie nights and some video gaming. We won’t be watching must for TV down here at all. The basement has great light control, there is only on small window on the back wall which will be completely blocked off during this project. The only ambient lighting to contend with will be easily controlled. There are Three (3) ceiling lights on two switches. One is directly over the movie seating area and the other two are directly above the woodstove and one in what will be the bar/ arcade area. This allows me to darken the movie area on its own if my DIY screen will allow for such lighting. If not I can easily darken the entire area to “I can’t freaking see a thing” dark.
The seating area will be around 10 feet from the proposed 98” DIY screen. The ceilings are 7’ 4” tall and have had the popcorn texture mostly removed. (That was not an awesome time) and I have already pulled out the 30 year old carpet.

For equipment I already have:
PS3,
Dish receiver,
Sony 400 DVD changer (Eventually be replaced with HTPC)
Sony 5.2 AV Receiver.
Benq w1070
Peerless PRGUNV projector Mount
Crapy onkyo speakers from an old setup

I had been doing a TON of research on Projectors vs Large LCD TV’s. I didn’t really like the picture on the large LCD’s or the price tag so I started really looking at projectors. Well my hand was forced when the BenQ W1070 went on sale in my Amazon Wish list. I pulled the trigger and its now sitting in my office along with a Peerless PRGUNV projector Mount. My current speakers are from an Onkyo speakers from my old all in one box set up. I’ll be looking to upgrade these to Klipsch or BIC Acustech set ups in the next year or so.

I'll be adding pics but I'm going to tell you now.. Iphone pics prob will just make you all mad!!!
post #3 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

HERE COME THE QUESTIONS!!!! Buckle up kids!
So as I said I was able to get the BenQ on sale so of course I am confused on WHERE EXACTLY I need to mount this bad boy. Based on the calculations below I’ll be able to get my 98”’ screen by mounting it somewhere close to the seating area. I can either do direct above the seating area, slightly behind the seating area or in front of the seating area. AS shown the middle of the throw range will pretty much smack dab above my head when sitting in the money seat. I’m not sure of just what to do here. Is the BenQ w1070 going to be all the loud? Its still in box and I have yet to power up (I’m holding out until I complete the built in AV Rack and install the flooring) so I don’t know just how much noise this bad boy (I can’t call it anything else) is going to make. Any thoughts guys?

Can't seem to get the calculation pic to load.... so quick, the throw range is said to be 8'3" to 10'8". Center point of 9'3".
post #4 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

next question (this maybe should go to the DIY screen section)

I am pretty set on making a DIY screen and based on all my readings and my limited handyman skills, I will get the best results using either Thrifty White board or a Melamine board cut to produce a 98" 16:9 screen. I intend on painting the screen and I have hope upon hope that Mississippi Man shows up to comment. Based again on my years of lurking and searching this forum for information I believe that for my proposed set up I would use a silver fire mix (maybe 3.0?) to give me some get up and go to combat the potential of ambient light in the room for more casual viewing.

BUT I recall seeing suggestions/ direction that a screen of the size a want (98") with the projector I have (BenQ W1070) with the projection power of 31fl will not require anymore then a well applied (sprayed) Behr Silver Screen to achieve deep black levels and the power of the projector will provide nice "pop" and white levels.

This my friends Is where I believe I have lost my way. I am willing to dive into the world of SF mixes but would hate to drive myself mad in attempting to perform a perfect paint spray with this mix if all I need to do is spray down a well surfaced Behr Silver Screen. (by the way I'm a quality Systems manager so my job requires me to be a perfectionist nut case with a nice side of OCD). Any advice on both the substrate for the DIY screen and proposals for Mix (or off the shelf) are welcomed.

I'm going to be cutting shelves for the AV Rack and prepping the walls for paint. Hope to have some progress pics up for you guys soon! Thanks for checking in with me!
post #5 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to try to attach some current progress pics here. Again I have already pulled up the carpet, cut a hole for the av rack. The monster under the blanket is the wood stove. Also a pic of my trusted helper.

post #6 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ever consider dealing with the stove right off the bat and improve the seating layout?

A SeyourAV Centerstage XD DIY acoustically transparent screen screen could hide all your speakers
up front, behind the screen.

Keyesville.jpg 81k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyesville.jpg (80.6 KB, 23 views)
post #7 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Tedd! I am looking into additional options with the wood stove. I'm currently looking into a unit that would give me back 2-21/2' extra room to play with, but I do want to keep the option of some sort of stove long term. With that said i don't think i can do a false wall as it would take up valuable square footage. frown.gif I do like the look that you have drawn up tho! I hadn't thought if a false wall and will keep it in mind as the other projects progress.
post #8 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you as "a perfectionist nut case with a nice side of OCD" considered the rack up front with the electronic
displays, will be a visual distraction?

You could shrink the depth behind the acoustically transparent wall and recreate a matching angled wing wall
on the stair side. A hinged fabric wing panel could hide the av rack there. Have you ever seen BIGmouthinDC's
av rack in his front wall?
post #9 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Tedd, you are firing in all cylinders here! Thanks for the ideas. I have given the Av rack a lot of thought and was concerned about it being a distraction at first, but after seeing so many cool built-in av racks I wanted to have this highlighted as a "wow that's awesome" feature for the room. Plus if I'm paying more attention to the av rack while watching movies, I'm probably watching pretty woman with the little general and would welcome the distraction!!! Doubt my attention would be broken watching Heat or the big Lebowski.

Still looking for location ideas on mounting the projector and just what to do about a painted screen. Thanks again for the feedback!!
post #10 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

More like been there, done that....

My av rack was originally up front and had that WOW factor, until it started annoying me. I loved the cleaned up wiring and
everything being neat and tidy though. Then a rebuild of the open concept space to a dedicated room, moved the av rack to
the rear back side wall. Much better. The latest remodel has it right outside the room now.
post #11 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ah I see you speak from experience. Alas I have already cut the hole and I cut out the shelving just before the Pats game started. I will keep this in mind for when i break ground on 2.0 after getting a smaller wood stove in a year or so. wink.gif
post #12 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Experience and a bunch of professional level design courses...

As for a painted screen, I'd suggest you check out Mississippiman. And years ago, I did a couple of screens using
Goo Systems screen paint. Very nice.

Why not a ceiling mount for the projector? Most projectors need to be dropped to be close to level with the top
of the screen.
post #13 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

You might have missed this in the giant blocks of text above. (I should edit those now that I look at them). But I am hopping for Mississippi man ( I love typing that out, anyone else say it out loud or is it just me?) to show up and give me some advice but I may have to repost in the diy screen section or shoot him a PM.

Also I mentioned I have the ceiling mount, I am just looking for where in The throw range to place the projector. Farther forward to increase the brightness but the projector maybe in view, right in the middle but overhead, or a foot (ish) behind the seating position for better contrast but less brightness? Besides paint this is my biggest question.
post #14 of 37 Old 12-29-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be looking to plant the projector out of the head room of any circulation path, first and foremost.

Your screen size isn't that large that you need to sweat brightness.
post #15 of 37 Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ted. I'll be pulling the projector out if box once I get the horrible walls primed. I was able to get the last of the room demo done and cut the av rack shelves to size. I placed some if the components in to get a looksee at the set up. I didn't have time before the Pats game to adjust the spacing. Can't wait to get the faceplates and trim in place.
post #16 of 37 Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well over the last few days I pulled the carpet from the stairs, primed the paneling and got the projector screen mounted at roughly 9'10". The peerless projector mount was so very easy to get up no issues at all. I have the openings roughed in for the HDMI and the power but have yet to run a line to the recessed box. Might get to it tomorrow but doubt it. Received my HDMI cords from monoprice yesterday. But still have a lot of work left on the built in av rack before I start hooking up components. As an aside, when I pulled the benq w1070 out if the box I had to fire it up. On a first coat primed wall (read that as crappy crappy wall) I was very impressed with the picture. Can't wait to get a screen up to see the magic happen!!!!

Here is what that picture is cast on (super crap wall!!!)
post #17 of 37 Old 01-25-2014, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's been a few weeks. Running power for the av rack and projector was a bigger progeny than I thought. Not hard to do but to do it right takes time. One full weekend for this guy. Then I ran the 20 ft hdmi to the projector from the rack. Not that hard really I used the pole from my chimney brush to get the job done in 20 min!!! Pushed the pole out to the cut hole, zip tied and taped the hdmi to the pole and polled it back. Worked awesome. This was one of the projects I was afraid to do but, BOOM, it's done!!
post #18 of 37 Old 01-25-2014, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Then I started grinding off the nails from the carpet tack strips but got distracted by the I pending pats games. I broke down and put together a temp set up to watch playoff football. Benqw1070 is just amazing. Even on the primed wood paneling it looks good. Ian able to get a solid 110" picture. Maybe a bit bigger but 110" seems nice.

Now I need to break down the temp set up and get back to work after taking a beating from Denver. Hoping to finish up painting and get the last if the nails done this weekend.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, got half the nails out last weekend. Started second coat of primer tonight after work. Started about 8pm. It's now 245am and I got 2/3 done and had to call it a night. Took some pics and will get some up later after I get some sleep my back and feet feel like that are broken and my brain isn't working like I want it too. Need sleep. Need sleep bad. Oh and it helps the painting process with the right beverages.
post #20 of 37 Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well two days have past me by and I have been painting my @ss off. Painting wood paneling sucks. I read many times that it's a tough job, I will confirm, this job sucks. I got some help from the wife putting the primary color up on the back and side walls. Silver screen. It was the wife's pick. I actually got the sample to see how it performed as a projector screen and she loved it as a wall color. I Finished up the screen wall and the two closest to the screen today in pencil point gray. It was the darkest the wife would ok and we both think it turned out ok. Also painted the crapy fake brick in the same dark gray and like the results.

[IMG]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/6 1/id/366891/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

post #21 of 37 Old 02-08-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Today I spent a few hours tinkering with the av rack. I trimmed out the opening with some 2x2's to make a space to screw into and I added 1x2" support blocks to keep the shelves from tipping forward. Very happy with those results

Once that was done I put my components in to check for spacing and to see what order I wanted them in.

Once complete I hooked everything up and did some rookie wire management. (If you could call it that?!? Ugly mess!)

post #22 of 37 Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Next I have to either order some abs plastic to make the face plates or carefully cut plywood I have on hand for faceplates and paint dark gray (I think I want the abs plastic plates at this moment). Once that's done I'll put up some trim and call the av rack done and done on budget.(<$30)
post #23 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Apple TV and airport extreme arrived today!!

Well after much thought (and finding good examples here) I am going with the abs plastic. I ordered several 12x24 1/16" sheets and one 36x24" sheet. I plan to try out the individual sheets and use them as a template if I'm not happy with the seems. I also ordered an airport extream and Apple TV. They were delivered today, set up took 30 seconds after everything was unboxed. Couldn't be happier with this purchase. The Apple TV will hold me over until I purchase either an assassin htpc or a Mac mini to craft my own htpc experiance. Here are some cool shots as I pulled the packaging off.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I received the abs plastic sheets this week and last night I picked up some poster board to cut templates, first attempts not amazing but ok. Going to take some more time with it tonight and tomorrow to get the gaps right. Progress is slow. Painfully. Slow. S-l-o-w! Ugh!

post #25 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 26
Hey...fellow southern Nh resident here!!

I am no expert but it looks like you are doing all the right things.

I know it's a while off, but I would strongly consider the SEOS fusion speakers at diysoundgroup.com over the speakers you mentioned.

post #26 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know what I'm talking about when it comes to speakers but I have got to say it, how can you you look at the limited skills that I have demonstrated and suggest diy speakers over the other options I have mentioned? I'm so far from having the skills to build a speaker that this is actually making me laugh right now! Thanks for posting and reading my thread but I'm really kind of pathetic at wood working. (Not much of a painter either haha) Also no offense if you're associated with this website, but I can't make heads or tales of what is being sold or if any of these "things" are speakers (which all cost $0.01). Either I'm to dumb to figure this out, these things are above my level or a combination of both. No idea my fellow new hampshire resident no idea at all. (If I could fill this with smile faces I would but not sure how to do this from my phone :-) this entire comment was written with good intentions)
post #27 of 37 Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well that was not a ton of fun! I managed to make up the templates and then the abs plastic. I will have to do the finish trim another day. Working with this stuff was a bit tricky. I ended up using a hand planer to shave down the edges where needed.

Just one 22oz of a nice stout helped me keep the eye on the prize.

While I was at it I also wired up the front speakers running the wire through a small pipe passed thru the bottom of the wall. Actually feel more accomplished having the wiring done than this black plastic. Maybe I'll feel better once the trim is complete...
post #28 of 37 Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Liked: 26
I want to apologize in advance as my previous post was typed on a tablet and I am very lazy when trying to type on those things. I will now go in the opposite direction and attempt to bore you with a novel.

I should have given you a better link to that site that took you where you needed to go. I forgot since I go in there quite often that it is not actually very user friendly.

To your concerns:

Diysoundgroup is a non-profit run by a guy in his spare time and helped by designers in the DIY community. He sells everything at cost (actually cheaper since he buys in bulk). I have no affiliation with them. I think he puts some new products on there before they are ready to sell and the $1.00 price is a default setting I would guess. You are correct that his site can appear to be a jumble if you have not been on there before.

I recommended them to you for a few reasons. First, you will be looking for HT speakers and these SEOS speakers would be hands down the best bang for your buck compared to the commercial offerings: no mark-up, better parts, well designed. I have not heard these speakers myself but have a lot of experience with the SHO-10(awesome HT speaker) speaker which is very similar to the SEOS FUSION-pure speaker (same woofer). There are several people that have both of these speakers lines and like the improvement of the FUSION (better high-end parts and waveguide)

Difficulty---I spend some time in the DIY screen section and usually like to look at the spandex AT screen threads. I noticed your thread in there and also the southeren NH thing so I was curious about your build thread. I can guarantee you that assembling a DIY spandex screen at least as difficult than making these speakers. I am not saying the screen is super hard, I am saying that these speakers have the option of getting everything pre-cut for you and also you can get the cross-overs pre-assembled as well. I can almost guarantee that what-ever your skill level is, that mine is lower still. You only need some glue, a drill, and some clamps (some people even use tape and it also works) to assemble these speakers. As far as painting most people use a product called duratex with great results and it is very forgiving.

You probably still think I sound like a shill for these guys, but like you I have been lurking around here for some time and hope to be in your position at some point to build my own home theater for a reasonable cost (i.e spandex screen, great low cost projector, and assemble yourself high grade speakers).

I will now shut up and give you some actual links (I can't get the hyperlinks to work, so I am just posting the address to copy and paste..sorry):

This is a link to the Fusion tempest, not sure if is right size speaker for you but it has a lot of reviews you can click on and is their most popular model. They also have 8,10, and 15 inch models. You can find them by going to the homepage and clicking on “waveguide speakers”. All of the fusion line speakers come with a pre-built cross-over option as well as the flat-pack option.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits/fusion12-kit.html

Here is a link to the massive SEOS thread here on AVS. Just go through the first post here, the main item you want to check out is the you-tube clip about halfway down the post that shows how easily the speaker goes together with the precut parts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291022/hey-guys-we-need-a-little-rallying-here

Here is a build thread, also from the AVS DIY forum, there are many of them but I chose this one because the guy had the same reservations as you (and I) do about the skill and tools to build these things.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490827/another-seos-tempest-build

Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to tell me to shut up…. smile.gif
mkeyes22 likes this.

post #29 of 37 Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks matman! Now that information has me thinking about diy speakers. I am going to go deep into a reasearch binge and come out with a handful of questions. First look, makes me want to make my fronts and sub but I'll have to dig in here for a bit and see what my options are. Thanks for clearing up your suggestion. This is some great info!!!!wink.gif
post #30 of 37 Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I am coming back up for air with a few questions. Matman thanks again for the added info and links. Diy looks like something I can do,as long as I can get the flat packs. I don't have the equipment or skill to cut the mdf correctly.

With that said I am looking at the fusion-4 quad4 or Amiga tower for Fronts and the fusion 1099(was on the site last night and now isn't) or the fusion 8 alcomy for centers. Not sure what would be the best options here I'm VERY OPEN to suggestion.

I would buy the ore assembled crossover and flat packs but not sure which match which. Nothing a bit more reading can't fix. Also doesn't look like there are many subwoofer options. Suggestions welcome here as well. I was thinking of picking up one or two bic America 12" subs but diy might give better pricing and performance. Thoughts?

Thanks again matman for pointing me down this path, I'll have reading to do for the coming weeks!!!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page