Open Game Room Projector Set Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I'd post some impressions of my setup since I obviously don't have an ideal room for a HT. I found it's much harder to find info on rooms like mine, rather than a dedicated HT. So after 3 years of research, this is what I came up with:

Equipment

Projector: Epson 5030UB

Screen: SI Black Diamond Zero Edge 100" 1.4 gain

Receiver: Denon X1000

Speakers: Sonance VP62 in-wall

Sub: Dynamo 700w wireless

I have to say I am pretty blown away with the performance. The pictures below show my room around noon. Both sides of the room are open to the first floor and have windows on each side. As you can see sunlight is pouring in. Combining the Epson 5030 with the BD zero edge all but negates the sunlight. I have the Epson set to THX, normal lamp (Eco in THX) and haven't noticed any washing out of the image. I watched football all Sunday in different lighting conditions and didn't notice any degrading of the picture. When I first fired up the PJ I did notice a hot spot in the top middle portion of the screen, but after putting around 30 hours on the lamp and calibrating in different lighting conditions, the hot spot is all but gone. Other than watching sports, I've watched a couple of BD movies and all I can say is WOW! I've never been a fan of Harry Potter, but my wife wanted to watch the last one the other night and it was probably the best experience I've ever had watching a movie in my home.

Getting a quality image was never really a concern for me. However, with an open floor plan, I was worried about audio. My worries quickly vanished after setting up the Sonance visual performance speakers. They not only look great, but they sound great as well. I have no problem filling the room with sound. I calibrated them using the Audyessy setup mic that came with the Denon AVR and sound seems to pop right of the screen. I had the hardest time deciding whether to mount the front speakers above or below the screen. I decided to lower the screen slightly and mount them above. I believe I made the right decision.

All that being said, I just wanted to encourage anyone out there that thinks their room won't work. My room is definitely not an ideal place for a HT, but after researching and planning for 3 years, I can honestly say I couldn't be happier. The image quality is better than any TV I've ever owned; even in a room full of sunlight. I loved watching my buddies jaws drop Sunday when they walked upstairs and saw the screen for the first time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks great. You did a really nice job on setting it up. And great decision to go with the grey/black screen. Quick question, is the screen 100" across or diagonal and what is your viewing distance.

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Looks great. You did a really nice job on setting it up. And great decision to go with the grey/black screen. Quick question, is the screen 100" across or diagonal and what is your viewing distance.

Screen is 100" diagonal, 88" wide. Right now seating is about 13'. May put a table behind the couch and move a little closer.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Terrific use of space.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Terrific use of space.

Appreciate it.

One reason I went with BD zero edge was for the screen real estate. The wall my screen hangs on is only 91" wide. The 100" BD zero edge is 88" wide. If I would have chosen a screen with a normal black border, I could have only had a 92" screen. BD zero edge allowed me to maximize screen size.

But obviously the main reason I went with BD was for its ambient light rejecting material. I would highly recommend this screen to anyone interested in setting up a PJ in a non-dedicated HT.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - X1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page