Desperate for mid-range AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is my first post on AVS and it being NYE I'm a little out of it (sorry), but here goes, I've had a Pioneer receiver since I lived in the Army barracks (23 years ago and it still works like a champ) and a Harman Kardon for maybe 10 years and it also is going strong but lacking modern tech. I bought a Onkyo 9100 HTiB maybe 4 years ago and loved it for about a year and then started having the typical HDMI problems with the R960 receiver.  Longer and longer to warm up until for maybe the last 2 years I wasn't able to turn the receiver off without having to wait at least 30 minutes for it to work. Yes I know it's a known issue (too late for me) and yes I know there is a way to fix it via the youtube replacement of the capacitors on the HDMI board. I tried that, and yes it worked perfectly for about a week (10 days??) then started the same problem again.  But since I soldered new capacitors on the HDMI board there was / is no going back from there.

TMI? Up until last week everything still worked even if I couldn't turn the system off, but then I replaced my old Panasonic PT AE900U projector with a Epson HC8350 and suddenly it doesn't work. My old pj connected with a hdmi cable so that didn't change but plugging in the new pj and all of a sudden the hdmi died on my AVR. Background: my HD TV is the monitor out on my Onkyo avr and my PS3 is my bluray HDMI 1 and my xbox 360 is my hdmi 2 and my Dish Network is my hdmi3 on my AVR.  I unplugged my panni projector and plugged in my Epson pj and immediately the xbox and ps3 didn't work.

I've tried the xbox and ps3 in hdmi 1-3 and I get zero picture or sound but if I plug them directly into my TV I get both pic and sound and then if I plug my Dish Network box into hdmi 1-3 I get pic and sound every time. I don't get it and with the ongoing issues with the Onkyo avr I'm ready to move on. Soooooo I come to you. :)

I just spent $1300 on the new pj and can't spend too much on the AVR but I'm also dead in the water. I'm looking at the Marantz 5008, Denon 2000 or 3000 and the Pioneer SC71. I listened to the Yamaha and didn't love it but the others were pretty similar.  The techs at Best Best, Magnolia HiFi and Fry's all tried to sell me on the most expensive unit they had but I wasn't buying.

I'm not quite dead here but pretty close and need to keep my new AVR to around $600-$900 .....please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Being you added a new projector, maybe its just a HDMI handshake problem.
When I first hooked up my TCL LED to my HK AVR3600 I had no pic.
So I changed the AVR's input resolution to match the output of my MacBook Pro(for streaming), then the AVR's output to match, and finally the LED to the same resolution. Then I got the video.
After I then changed the HK to upconvert to 1080P and set the LED to 1080P. All is good.
Same with my DVD player, works perfectly.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

wow sorry about the OP, I wrote it and even for me it TLDR.

Since this started I've done a factory reset on the receiver twice dumping all settings and removing the projector out of the equation and still the xbox and ps3 going into the Onkyo don't work but going straight into the TV work fine. No matter what HDMI port they go into on my AVR I get no sound or picture and the receiver flashes HDMI which means it's searching and never finds it. I agree that it's the hdmi handshake that isn't working for the consoles. But my Dish Network sat. box works through HDMI into any of the Onkyo hdmi inputs. I'm frustrated and with my Onkyo's problematic past I'm ready to move on.

I listen to some music but mostly used for TV and movies and games. Like I said in my OP I'm trying to stay under $1000 but there are still so many options at that price point. And each forum I read seems to have a favorite and they are all different. Can you really go wrong at that price with all the receivers today offering similar components and sound options?

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Under $1000? No brainer -- Denon AVR-X4000. I bought a factory refurb (1-yr warranty) for CHEAP from accessories4less.com. No affiliation -- just a happy customer.

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Almost everything I read says the Denon X4000 runs really hot and for some it becomes a problem. Do you notice this with yours? Any kind of electronic system that runs hot worries me that eventually the heat will cause problems, as some people online have noted.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
^^
Where are you reading? There are quite a few of us X4000 owners in the Denon E/X Owner's thread and for most at best the unit runs "warm" but certainly not hot. If the unit is running hot it means that there is poor air ventilation as it needs to have at least 3-4" on the top with an open front and back, otherwise if the unit is stuck in an enclosed cabinet, then running hot would be expected for any AVR.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134184

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

You are right it was not everything I read about the x4000, in fact as I read more and more reviews today it seems no more than normal for any receiver.  Poor implementation and the occasional bad unit are probably the reviews I was reading.  In fact I was one click away from buying the Marantz 5008 then changed my mind to a Pioneer SC65 or 71/75 and now I'm back at the Denon x4000.

I like the Marantz but can't afford the 7008 and the 6008 isn't enough of an improvement over the 5008. The Denon x4000 is close to the 7008 in options but at the 6008 price. *waiver waiver, tap dance*

post #8 of 8 Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0mmyKn0ckers View Post

This is my first post on AVS and it being NYE I'm a little out of it (sorry), but here goes, I've had a Pioneer receiver since I lived in the Army barracks (23 years ago and it still works like a champ) and a Harman Kardon for maybe 10 years and it also is going strong but lacking modern tech. I bought a Onkyo 9100 HTiB maybe 4 years ago and loved it for about a year and then started having the typical HDMI problems with the R960 receiver.  Longer and longer to warm up until for maybe the last 2 years I wasn't able to turn the receiver off without having to wait at least 30 minutes for it to work. Yes I know it's a known issue (too late for me) and yes I know there is a way to fix it via the youtube replacement of the capacitors on the HDMI board. I tried that, and yes it worked perfectly for about a week (10 days??) then started the same problem again.  But since I soldered new capacitors on the HDMI board there was / is no going back from there.

TMI? Up until last week everything still worked even if I couldn't turn the system off, but then I replaced my old Panasonic PT AE900U projector with a Epson HC8350 and suddenly it doesn't work. My old pj connected with a hdmi cable so that didn't change but plugging in the new pj and all of a sudden the hdmi died on my AVR. Background: my HD TV is the monitor out on my Onkyo avr and my PS3 is my bluray HDMI 1 and my xbox 360 is my hdmi 2 and my Dish Network is my hdmi3 on my AVR.  I unplugged my panni projector and plugged in my Epson pj and immediately the xbox and ps3 didn't work.

I've tried the xbox and ps3 in hdmi 1-3 and I get zero picture or sound but if I plug them directly into my TV I get both pic and sound and then if I plug my Dish Network box into hdmi 1-3 I get pic and sound every time. I don't get it and with the ongoing issues with the Onkyo avr I'm ready to move on. Soooooo I come to you. :)

I just spent $1300 on the new pj and can't spend too much on the AVR but I'm also dead in the water. I'm looking at the Marantz 5008, Denon 2000 or 3000 and the Pioneer SC71. I listened to the Yamaha and didn't love it but the others were pretty similar.  The techs at Best Best, Magnolia HiFi and Fry's all tried to sell me on the most expensive unit they had but I wasn't buying.

I'm not quite dead here but pretty close and need to keep my new AVR to around $600-$900 .....please help.

Factory refurbished Marantzes, Onkyos, others available at Accessories4less, under $900 shipped. They have gotten good feedback on AVS. I have never gotten a factory refurb from a good authorized dealer that was not like new.

I have an Onkyo 929 ordered myself, upper mid range with lots of features, THX Select 2 Cert, built in bluetooth and wireless wifi. 9.2, etc.. Try them perhaps, good luck.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Onkyo Ht S9100thx 7 1 Channel Receiver And Speaker Package , Panasonic Pt Ae900u Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Marantz Sr5008 , Denon Avr X2000 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr X3000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 71 , Harman Kardon Avr 3600 80 Watt X 7 1 Channel High Performance Home Theater Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page