how much do white walls and ceiling hurt my setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 120 in elite screen Cinewhite 1.1 gain with my Optoma HD20 projector. My walls are white and so is my ceiling. The top of the screen is only about 8-10 in from the ceiling how much do you think this hurts my setup taking away from the quality of the picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
A LOT

There is an older thread in this forum and one in the > $3000 forum see picks of my ceiling and wall treatment in sig below. Search Black ceiling in each of the listed forums
post #3 of 14 Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

here are some pictures of my screen area
post #4 of 14 Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that is about the worst it could be, white everything including the floor, screen inches from all that white. You need Very dark colors as least reflective as possible on the Ceiling, side walls and floor at least 5' from the screen. The screen wall itself will not effect the actual image but it does effect how you perceive the image. Having the screen wall black give you more immersion into the image by making everything but the screen vanish into the dark.

Paint is cheapest but velvet is blackest.. Comments when people come into my living room for the first time are.. OMG looks like a black hole in the ceiling, waiting for something to reach down out of it and grab me. Joan Royalty 3 velvet is just awesome for this purpose.

In a pinch just to see how much treating the ceiling and floor does, you can use any dark colored blanket on the floor and pick up a twin size single flat sheet in black at Bed Bath and Beyond for $10 and rig it up on the ceiling with whatever means you can come up with. In your setup ceiling is the worst offender followed by floor and walls.

You want no large areas of white that will reflect back on the image washing it out.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-03-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help what is the best way to get black velvet onto the ceiling since black velvet from joanns is 14.99 a yard im going to treat the ceiling first
post #6 of 14 Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerzebra View Post

Thanks for the help what is the best way to get black velvet onto the ceiling since black velvet from joanns is 14.99 a yard im going to treat the ceiling first
Go to the their sight and sign up for email deals. About once a month they have a 50% off coupon that will save you big time

I used 1/4 plywood from HD, smoothest straightest I could find. Called sandy something.. it was lighter weight than the underlayment carp but not the most expensive 1/4 either. They claim it is hardwood but not very hard at all, perfect for this applications.

I Cut it to 40x30 something (whatever divided evenly into the width of the ceiling) panels. Velvet is 44 wide hence the 40" panel length.
Cut the velvet to give me 2" wrap on all sides.
Sprayed the face of the plywood that would have the velvet on it with 3M 77 adesive
Sprayed the back of the velvet with 77 and placed the plywood on the velvet (very tricky if working by yourself.
I used rossin paper so I could put a clean piece down each time so as not to mess up the face of the next piece of velvet.
You then flip over the board, and lift and resmooth the velvet pressing and pulling it tight. Do not get any glue on the velvet.
Once you get your panel done, attache to the ceiling with and 18 gauge nail gun. Try and hit studs or just into drywall/plaster on a slight angle.
Nails vanish and if you need to remove it not much damage once the nails are pulled.

It is tricky so test a small piece of velvet and plywood to figure out the best way to do it.

Here are some pics, not a how to but some comments under the photos once you click the thumb. Also covered my screen case so as not to see that white thing in the black of the room.

Living Room Update

Here are basic instructions to make removable wall treatments I posted from another member just the other day
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498307/options-to-block-light-from-window/0_100#post_24149200
Dradius likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Liked: 19
I finally convinced my wife to let me paint our home theater a dark brick red (walls and ceiling). That improved our black levels quite a bit. I plan to install black velvet panels on the walls and ceiling sometime this year.

My biggest problem now is the beige carpet. I'll either build a black velvet "stage" or just throw a black carpet down there.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

I finally convinced my wife to let me paint our home theater a dark brick red (walls and ceiling). That improved our black levels quite a bit. I plan to install black velvet panels on the walls and ceiling sometime this year.

My biggest problem now is the beige carpet. I'll either build a black velvet "stage" or just throw a black carpet down there.

Nothing wrong with a Black flat bed sheet that you put down when the lights go out and fold up when the are on.. Not as black as velvet but will do the job, and keep the wife happy when the lights are on!
post #9 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 AM

Great solution there!

So is the ceiling and the wall opposite the screen the most important areas to tackle first re light reflection?

Best,

Dan
post #10 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHorse View Post

Great solution there!

So is the ceiling and the wall opposite the screen the most important areas to tackle first re light reflection?

The surfaces that are closest to the screen. So if the ceiling is 9" from the top of the screen and the side walls are 3' away from the side of the screen, the ceiling is going to be the bigger offender.
DanHorse likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

The surfaces that are closest to the screen. So if the ceiling is 9" from the top of the screen and the side walls are 3' away from the side of the screen, the ceiling is going to be the bigger offender.

Thanks Doug!

That's useful, i can come up with a fabric sheet arrangement for now which will help tackle that.

Edit: sun is setting, just went and got a cheap black bed sheet and pinned it up - yep a big difference already - wow! Now i realise .... if one can have even a semi darkened room, with the ceiling and near walls addressed it makes a HUGE difference, even my very modest HD65 is looking so much better in contrast and blacks. Think of how much better in a bat-cave with a better PJ.

Best,

Dan
post #12 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I got 10 yards of velvet from Joann fabrics and tact it up on the ceiling and wall temporarily and all i can say is wow its a big difference never would have thought it would have made that much difference
Next i will try to wrap 1/4 in plywood with the velvet and and put it up to get a nice neat look i hope
post #13 of 14 Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerzebra View Post

I got 10 yards of velvet from Joann fabrics and tact it up on the ceiling and wall temporarily and all i can say is wow its a big difference never would have thought it would have made that much difference
Next i will try to wrap 1/4 in plywood with the velvet and and put it up to get a nice neat look i hope

Take your time and work clean, it will turn out nice!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

here are some of my work in progress pics
sorry my cell camera sucks

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List