Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Objective:
Outstanding 2ch music listening in a space shared with home theater. IOW, tradeoffs will be made in favor of 2ch over HT.

Equipment list

Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand Special Edition
Belles 150a Hot Rod driving Haydns
Parasound A52 driving dual center channels and LS/RS
Vienna Acoustics Maestro centers (above & below screen)
B&W M1 LS/RS/LBS/RBS
Parasound 5125 driving one TBI#2 and LBS/RBS
RBH SA200 driving one TBI#1
2 TBI Magellan VIIIsu
Outlaw Audio M8
Cinema 11 (not 11a)
MiniDSP 2x4 unbalanced
Sonos Connect
Panasonic DMP-BDT500
LaCie Lacinema Mini HD
broken TBI subwoofer amp :mad:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	163857  

Last edited by artur9; 07-15-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hi artur9,

I'm trying to figure out your setup and what you'd like to do with the MiniDSP 2x4. Mike Garrett (AVS Sales) made a good suggestion in the MiniDSP thread. I understand that you've familiar with REW which can measure the low frequency (15Hz to 300Hz) response at the MLP. I assume you're also familiar with REW's room eq wizard that can import filters into the MiniDSP.

Would like to help, but not sure what the end goal is? Maybe a brief of what you're trying to achieve and the experiments in mind would be useful.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi artur9,

I'm trying to figure out your setup and what you'd like to do with the MiniDSP 2x4. Mike Garrett (AVS Sales) made a good suggestion in the MiniDSP thread. I understand that you've familiar with REW which can measure the low frequency (15Hz to 300Hz) response at the MLP. I assume you're also familiar with REW's room eq wizard that can import filters into the MiniDSP.

Would like to help, but not sure what the end goal is? Maybe a brief of what you're trying to achieve and the experiments in mind would be useful.
First off, thanks for the interest.

Since I have a minidsp I am looking for the "best" way to use its features. I tried using it in my current multisub setup. It made some (minor) improvements but had some downsides as well.

So, I thought that I'd use it extend my low frequency response down to 25Hz as I am optimizing my 2ch performance for classical music and that's how low a piano can go. No pipe organ music for me.

Doing a bit of research into things I thought I'd use my TBIs as stereo subs (aka flanking subs) to improve the extension of the Haydns, tighten up the soundstage, eliminate floor bounce and keep the relatively smooth bass response I currently have. The MiniDSP would be the crossover for that.

Problem/Step 1 is that I hear that the Cinema 11 will disable the subwoofer output if I set the mains to full range. So first I need to see how the prepro handles crossover settings to see if what I want is achievable.

If the prepro behaves the way I've heard then it will sum the LFE into the L+R, which is ok, but then I need to get that signal over to the Outlaw.

At the moment it feels like it's going to be an excessive use of Y splitters.

Last edited by artur9; 07-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 130
artur9,

The key appears to be the configuration of your pre/pro (Cinema 11). If you can make it work such that the LFE and line outs for the L+R are separate it might be doable with the MiniDSP.

I'm thinking along similar line with the Marantz NR-1504 which has line outs for the L+R. In DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode, there is no base management by the AVR and the full range signal goes to the L+R power terminals as well as the pre-outs. As the speakers are satellites with the F3 at 90Hz, need to fill in the lower octaves via a sub.

Got the Rythmik F12G. It's got an LFE input as well as a pair or RCA L+R inputs with phase, PEQ and roll off switches. The sub's RCA L+R input is ignored when there's a signal to the LFE - so this works out for me. The thinking is of running a pair or RCA cables from the AVR to the F12G and adjust the settings to see how well it can be integrated in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode.

Not sure if the above idea will help you, but something to consider if your subs support it.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For me, I see 2 possibilities, depending on how the Cinema 11 works. All the preamplifier outputs (XLR, RCA) are active on the prepro so I may not need splitters etc for the following.

Possibility 1
If I had another rack mountable subwoofer amp I could route the (L, LFE) -> amp's (L, R) and let it sum those two channels. Similarly for R. Then also route the LFE itself to the M8. Gotcha is to make sure that the distance settings for those 3 channels is the same or there will be strange cancellation effects.

Possibility 2
Ignore my working subwoofer amp and use the MiniDSP to feed the extra channels on my 5125. In this case, I'd turn off the subwoofer in the prepro, route L+R to the MiniDSP and use it as the crossover. I guess I'd have to run L+R to the M8 directly as well which is problematic as I'd have to run more RCAs around.

I prefer #1 a little as it avoids having to spend a day measuring the prepro's behavior when set to large mains and small surrounds. It also avoids the reduction in output level that the MiniDSP causes and the small loss of resolution caused by digitizing the audio in the MiniDSP.

#2 has the advantage of bringing to bear all the possibilities of the MiniDSP (delay, xover, EQ) but may cause problems with output level.

Finally, since I don't have a second matched subwoofer amp I think I'll try #2 first anyway.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms