Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi AVS'ers

I've been in the forums, lurking mostly contributing every now and then for about 6yrs. I A/V as a hobby and I spend most my time browsing the build threads and following along all the amazing projects that people share here. As I finally get around to having a dedicated media room space done I figure I need to payback and share my experiences and install decisions as it may benefit others as I have benefited from those I have followed.

I've had a few different 5.1 setups that were part of our main family room TV. Never had a dedicated space. When we moved last summer to Houston we bought a new construction inventory home with a 2nd floor game room and some unfinished 12'X12' space that the builder's plans called a bonus room. Knowing I wanted a dedicated HT space for movies and sports, I studied long and hard to figure out if I could turn the bonus space into a dedicated theater. Knowing the look I would want 3-4 seats across, two rows of seats with a bar/counter at the rear I knew I just didn't have the space to "Go All Out!" in this home. So I made the decision to use the game room as a media room and finish the bonus space for a playroom / art room for our daughter and her friends. What follows is a thread of the design and layout of this media room.

As you will see the room presents some challenges but that is to be expected; a large window in the room, an open floor-plan to the foyer and stairs, and an open hallway to bedrooms.

The room dimensions are 13'4" depth by 18'10" side to side.

The shape of the room played a direct role in layout of furniture and equipment but I am hopeful it will work well.

I'll cover the equipment list in my next post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

As I've had 5.1 systems in the past I really wanted to go for more of the surround experience. So I'm doing a 9.1 system.

My tentative equipment list:

Sony VPL-VW600ES Projector
S.I. Black Diamond Zero Edge 4K Screen
Marantz AV8801 A/V Processor
Oppo BDP-103D
PS3, XBox360, ATV*
DirecTv Genie
Rotel RMB-1095 5X200w*
Rotel RB-1080 2X200w
Anthem A2 2X225w
Seaton Submersive HP+
Paradigm Studio 100 (L+R)*
Paradigm Studio CC450 (C)*
Paradigm SA-ADP (SBL+R and FWL+R)
Paradigm AMS-150R (SSL+R)

The Paradigm mains and Rotel 5ch amplifier I had from my last system so my plan/budget were based on working with those existing pieces and complimenting them with other equipment choices.

post #3 of 19 Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is the room layout with speaker locations identified.

Front wides and surround backs are in-walls and the side surrounds are in ceiling.

The Sofa, Love Seat, Chair and Ottoman, do represent the furniture I have today but probably going to do a sectional when the pocket recovers from the equipment purchases.

In working with my A/V contractor these are the speaker locations we're going with and I'm hopeful with proper Audyssey XT32 I can get great results. My side surround and rear locations are not ideal, but given room attributes I think I can work with it. The ceiling mounts for sides was necessitated by limited access from the attic above and a desire to disrupt drywall as little as possible.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Glad to see you start a build thread! Seems like Houston theaters are coming alive now days. smile.gif Nice equipment list and XT32 should be able to calibrate it just fine. Do you have a goal of when you want it to be completed by?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #5 of 19 Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Nice equipment list. We look forward to some pictures.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks guys. The heavy work is done as of Wednesday. But I am negligent with photos.

The focus was scrambling to have the room usable for the Super Bowl. I've been so swamped at work I have barely played with the stuff.

Early reactions are the PJ is great as expected. The 8801 is nice but I need to focus on Programming and setup. The SubM is great!

post #7 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been wanting to hear a SubMersive for a long time now. Maybe when you finish your theater and get caught up at work you can host a meet? wink.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Leon Phelps
post #8 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here are a couple in progress pics from this week.

The work is mostly done and we're having some friends over for the game today.

I'll catch up on my thread with a few more pics when I get minute.

G.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the cut outs above your mains for? In your list you posted wides so I am a little confused. Maybe you meant to post heights?

- Leon Phelps
post #10 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes. Had to make a change from wides to heights due access limitations for what would have been the right wide speaker.

post #11 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here are some pics of the nearly finished room. Finished enough to watch some football. Couldn't get wide enough to fit full Slim5-43 rack in one pic so shot the top and bottom. Sorry about the iphone photos.

Go Broncos!

post #12 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 55
That zero edge looks very cool!
post #13 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A couple shots of the game.

post #14 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Looks great. A couple thoughts/questions. I think that room is begging for a second subwoofer allowing for a more balance bass with 9.2. How was the picture for the Super Bowl? For the zero edge screen, did you go with grey/silver/ black to accommodate for the light colored walls and open wall cut outs?

Room looks great

Dan

My set up

post #15 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Scout - Thanks for checking out my thread. On the zero edge I went with Black Diamond 4K 0.8...So its not totally black, but darker than slate. I debated between the Stewart FH G3/G4 and the Z.E.B.D. I had demo'd the 600ES on the FH G3 and it was very nice and I didn't get a chance to see the 600ES on BD but I did have a BD sample and that looked pretty good. It was very hard decision to make given how good the FH looked to me. Ultimately it was the Zero Edge look that carried the day for me. I really like that look.

The picture for the SuperBowl was great...when we went downstairs at half time to snack with the ladies, they had the half time show playing on the miniature 65" VT50....funny how 110" makes 65" small. 1st world problems.rolleyes.gif

The A/V hobby budget is depleted for a while...so I will have to be content with just the 1 SubM. WAF on the SubM is low since it is so darn big. WAF on dual SubM's is likely to be less than zero. For now I have more boom and toys to play with to keep me happy for a little while.

Planning to get new furniture for this room next but again that's after I replenish the petty cash fund.

G.

post #16 of 19 Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Thanks I'm in the process of researching black screens myself. Your feedback is very helpful. I figured you could sneak a second sub in the right rear corner before you order furniture. biggrin.gif Enjoy the room

Dan

My set up

post #17 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post

A couple shots of the game.

Thank you for including the Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge in your project. Your room looks amazing!!
post #18 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I received a request to post some daytime photos from the Black Diamond thread so as to give a feel for ambient light daytime results. The settings on the 600ES are unchanged in each of these photos. It has been calibrated and is on low lamp. Measured at 17 fl.

Each of these photos I introduce more ambient light.

Photo 1 = daytime, with blinds closed, and lights off from MLP.

Photo 2 = This is daytime, with mini blinds open, and lights off from MLP. The window is approx 7-8 feet from the right hand side of the screen. It is a large dual double hung window.

Photo 3 = This is daytime, blinds open and all lights in the room at 100% MLP. The lights consist of 4 ceiling cans with 23w LED warm white R40 bulbs, and a ceiling fan light fixture with dual 17w CFL standard bulbs.

Photo 4 = This is taken from an angle, again with blinds open and lights 100% just to give a better sense for the relationship of the windows and lights to the screen.

Hopefully this is useful to those considering the daytime performance of ambient light rejecting screens like the B.D.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks you so much!! Exactly what I was looking to see!

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page