Home cinema novice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys,

I'm posting as a complete amateur to AV in general.

I have a Toshiba full HD tv, and I'm trying to get my audio up to par for the video quality. However, I've found out that instead of having a pair of LR audio out sockets, my tv has a pair of LR audio IN sockets, and a coaxial socket and subwoofer socket. Can anybody help me work out how to use these? 

Also, I'm struggling to work out whether I should buy a 5.1 home cinema system from a shop, or go more towards HiFi separates and an amplifier/receiver? I am on a budget, but am prepared to put it in for some decent quality. I have a lot of devices (sky, xbox, ps3) connected up, and also stream from my mac a lot, if this makes any difference.

I'll happily take pictures of the back of the tv if you guys want, I'm just looking for some advice!

Thanks very much!

Robin 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Typically you would connect your devices to an AVR and then run the picture feed to the TV and separate speaker wire lines to your speakers from the AVR. If you do choose to get a system, I suggest you start small to better educate yourself. Almost anything will sound better than TV speakers. I'm not a big fan of best buy, but you can get some good ideas to what might work based on your budget and you can listen to various speakers and AVRs
outlanderbz likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would add to get an AVR that has some room correcting software such as Audyssey or a manufacturer's own. I had a "cheaper" onkyo that had it and it made a huge difference in my room. The second thing is than get a remote like a harmony so everything switches with a push of a button.

I would agree on not going too crazy at first. You will learn what you like and there is a market to sell old gear.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page