Ames, IA media room remodel - Cinema 1858 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #31 of 133 Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 260
That was an ugly game.

I wasn't feeling much better today. We had our coats on ready to walk out when Naz hit the 3 to send it to overtime.

Start a thread for your project so we can follow along!

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 133 Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

That was an ugly game.

I wasn't feeling much better today. We had our coats on ready to walk out when Naz hit the 3 to send it to overtime.

Start a thread for your project so we can follow along!

Yeah I told my wife 'this game is over' and almost switched the channel eek.gif
post #33 of 133 Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20

I should. Though a decent amount of work has been done over the past couple of weeks, so it would kind of start up towards the end. May just be better off showing off the final product.

Who knows. I may get motivated. One issue I have had though is when taking pictures to send to people at various times, the quality of the screen looks horrible. Makes me kind of gun shy with pictures. 

Oh, and Big 12 Champs!!!!!!

thrillcat likes this.

Martin Logan SR7011
Martin Logan Electromotion ESL front
Martin Logan Motion SLM surround and back
Martin Logan Motion 50XT center
SVS PB16-Ultra (ETA 3/31)
Elite Screen 120" and Epson 8350

post #34 of 133 Old 04-01-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, the Sony AVR is heading out. I have an Emotiva UMC-200 and UPA-700 on the way...

post #35 of 133 Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Emotiva UMC-200 & UPA-700 arrived on Thursday. Got them hooked up that night and turned it on. The sound quality is a definite step up from the Sony AVR. Thursday night I didn't do anything as far as EQ or room correction. Everything was flat/zeroed out from the factory and I already heard an improvement.

I did, however, experience the HDMI issue with my TiVo Premiere unit where it would occasionally lock into a digital noise that sounded like a machine gun - changing channels or pause/play would get it back to normal. I'm assuming it's due to a weak signal, or changing between a 3/2.1 and 2.0 signal on channels. It never happened randomly, just when changing channels or going to/from a commercial.

Friday after work I ran the EmoQ setup. Aside from the speaker distances being waaaaayyy off, it didn't do a whole lot to the sound. I manually changed the speaker distances and it sounds pretty good. Switching between the EmoQ and Flat, the only real audible difference is a slight roll-off in the high frequencies. Not necessarily a bad roll-off. It sounds really good.

The surround is a lot surroundier than the Sony.

Friday night we watched the new Thor movie (really boring, you guys) and it sounded wonderful. I was very pleased with the sound.

I ended up turning the sub level down about 2db. It was very loud during Thor. I haven't readjusted it yet and I think it is blending very nicely. I am planning a full manual EQ of the system, however, in the future to take advantage of the 11ch PEQ per channel the Emotiva offers.

The HDMI issue with the TiVo wasn't happening very much, but I did see a workaround that involved using a toslink optical cable for the audio and HDMI only for video. I added that cable and haven't had it happen at all. I'm not a big fan of having to do a workaround with a brand new piece of gear, but this is a pretty simple workaround, doesn't involve any extra work or button presses, and I'm not sacrificing sound quality, so I'm going to let it slide.

Yesterday I hooked up the antennas and I was very impressed with the Tuner performance. It picked up every station I could think of, and many I didn't know about. Granted I will only ever use one, and that's to listen to the local radio broadcast of away games while watching the broadcast. But it's good to know the others are there in case of a Nickelback/Katy Perry emergency.

So, really pleased with the new purchase. I'll keep reporting back with my thoughts.

post #36 of 133 Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No real update, other than a photo of the system with the new gear in.

post #37 of 133 Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ordered a UMIK-1 yesterday, as well as a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. When that stuff arrives, I'm going to run REW and dial the room in. Hopefully. Seems there are a lot of people having problems running REW on a Mac, and I refuse to purchase a PC, so it will be a battle of will. I think I can win. smile.gif

Also looking at DIY LCR speakers, if anyone has any recommendations...They can't be rear-ported, and they have to fit into my somewhat strict space requirements...

post #38 of 133 Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
from the dedicated theater forum: scroll down to post #58 and read on. If you haven't already, of course.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptus-not-bigmouthindc-and-nygiantsfan23-launch-the-rawlinsway-theater/30
thrillcat likes this.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #39 of 133 Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

from the dedicated theater forum: scroll down to post #58 and read on. If you haven't already, of course.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464536/beam-and-pole-interruptus-not-bigmouthindc-and-nygiantsfan23-launch-the-rawlinsway-theater/30

Thanks for that! That's perfect. I'm not sure how I missed that wave of posts...

post #40 of 133 Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
saying around this house is "Hawkeye State........Cyclone Nation!" eek.gif

underachiever extraordinaire
post #41 of 133 Old 04-16-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We just say Cyclone Nation. We don't mention the other thing. Don't even really think about it outside of the week when we play them.

post #42 of 133 Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found a set of B&W DM601 s2's and a CC6 s2 that were in perfect shape for $150 on Craigslist this week, so I picked them up and dropped them in Wednesday. Big improvement over the smaller drivers in my NHTs. I still have a soft spot for NHT - the 2.5's I used to own are still some of the best speakers I've ever heard. I wish I still had them.

But I'm very happy with the B&W's, especially for $150! Voices are quite a bit fuller now, dialog sounds more natural. And at bigger volumes, it really opens up...very impressed with these. And again, for $150? No brainer. Even if they'd ended up in a different room, they're worth $150.

The UMIK-1 arrived, but I haven't found time to EQ the system. Not that it sounds bad at all. I've moved away from the EmoQ settings and have it back on flat EQ, with only customizations being speaker distances and levels. It sounds really good in there, so it's not like I'm in a huge rush to fix a bunch of problems. I may still even wait a little longer while I work on finishing up a few things in the room, add a few treatments. The weather is finally getting nice so I can set up the saw & stuff right outside the theater and get things done relatively quickly.

In the meantime, I had a fantastic idea about my next theater. Uh oh. This one involves building up over the garage. Raising the roof and building a nice dedicated theater up there. It could work perfectly if I had the budget, but I'm having a tree removed this week. Someday...

post #43 of 133 Old 05-06-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Love what you have done with your space. Nicely done. Sounds like you made a nice score with those speakers as well. I will have to tell you that among some others here on AVS as well as yourself are Craigslist lucky. I can't find squat out of the Louisville and Indy CL listings.

How are you liking your Emotiva and the pretty blue lights? I have a three channel amp and love it. They make some very nice equipment for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #44 of 133 Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Love what you have done with your space. Nicely done. Sounds like you made a nice score with those speakers as well. I will have to tell you that among some others here on AVS as well as yourself are Craigslist lucky. I can't find squat out of the Louisville and Indy CL listings.

How are you liking your Emotiva and the pretty blue lights? I have a three channel amp and love it. They make some very nice equipment for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

I've toyed with renaming it the Craigcinema... My secret is that I have a few categories that feed into my newsreader, and I have it open off to the side all day long at work. That way when things pop up, chances are I'll see them within a half hour or so. Also, I rarely use it to specifically find something. That way I'm never disappointed. I just keep an eye on it and if something is a really good deal and I could potentially improve my space with it, I go for it.

At this point, if I'm looking for anything specific, I'm looking to purchase new. There's nothing I need, the theater is functional, it's all upgrades from this point on. So I can take the time to save up and purchase new. Case in point, the Emotiva pre-pro and amp.

As for that stuff, sure, it has it's quirks, but I love it. It sounds much, much better than any of the AVRs I've had in the room (3 different ones). We're now using the PS3 as our Blu-ray player, because of the lack of HDMI inputs. I could probably move one of the gaming systems to another room, but it's not a huge issue right now. The TiVo was having HDMI audio issues, but it was very simple and equal quality to route the audio via an optical cable. Problem solved.

Basically, I feel the Emotiva prepro has a very weak HDMI section. Only 4 ports aside, it seems that most of the issues have to do with HDMI handshakes, signal dropouts, etc., that the vast majority of gear does not have. I've solved my issues, and I consider them a small tradeoff for the huge improvement in audio quality. Now, for a unit that's done away with all legacy video inputs in exchange for HDMI, I expect a little more. I'm hoping/guessing/expecting that the new XMC-1 will have these problems figured out by the time it starts shipping en masse.

That being said, I do thoroughly enjoy the Emotiva gear. Like I said, it sounds much, much better than any of the previous gear I've had in the room. Looks pretty, too.

post #45 of 133 Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Hello, I'm wondering if you've been able to play around with the umik-1 and rew yet? I also have a UMC 200 and am thinking about buying a umik 1 to tweak the peq. The only thing I've done with my UMC 200 is to run emo-q. I know emo-q is a mixed bag for people but in my setup I think it sounds great. I think emo-q ran well in my setup because I had already eq'd my sub with rew using the mic from my sound meter (fine for low frequencies). Anyways, I'm very curious to know what you think of the umik 1 and rew to eq your loudspeakers. Are you planning on using it to eq all your loudspeakers or just the left/right?

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #46 of 133 Old 05-15-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draden1 View Post

Hello, I'm wondering if you've been able to play around with the umik-1 and rew yet? I also have a UMC 200 and am thinking about buying a umik 1 to tweak the peq. The only thing I've done with my UMC 200 is to run emo-q. I know emo-q is a mixed bag for people but in my setup I think it sounds great. I think emo-q ran well in my setup because I had already eq'd my sub with rew using the mic from my sound meter (fine for low frequencies). Anyways, I'm very curious to know what you think of the umik 1 and rew to eq your loudspeakers. Are you planning on using it to eq all your loudspeakers or just the left/right?

Well, I'm a Mac guy, so I've been trying to get all the workarounds with REW to work. I haven't had the time to really dedicate to it, so at this point I can't honestly say.

If you're a PC guy and are interested, you would be more than welcome to borrow my mic if you want to try it out, since you're in DSM...

post #47 of 133 Old 05-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I appreciate it and very well may take you up on the offer but first I need to get a long hdmi cord. I would like to use rew on all my speakers which I've read can be done using hdmi. Just out of curiosity, where did you buy the mic?

Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 Processor / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 amp
Speakers: Triad Silver LCR (5), Triad Bronze LCR (2 rear), SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Video: Epson 5025 projector / Darbee Darblet / 98" 16:9 Seymour AV UF
Sources: Oppo 103 / Chromecast / Apple TV / Audio Technica LP-120 TT
post #48 of 133 Old 05-15-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered the mic from http://www.minidsp.com

If you are using a Mac I don't think you'll get the HDMI thing to work. That's what's holding me up. I can get everything else to work except that, and not having that option will make it take much longer, manually switching out cables in the back.

post #49 of 133 Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a quick update. I got quite a bit of work done over the long weekend...but it was mostly finish work.

I rewired the light switches...took out the 2-gang boxes and installed singles, and then finished the trim around the last two panels. Somehow came up one faceplate short, as you'll see in the first photo. I had already made one Memorial Day Weekend trip to Lowes, never again. I'll pick that up this week.

I also fixed the 'wainscot' kick panel under the screen - the black velvet I had left over and used for the sides didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the screen, so rather than buy more velvet, I cut two longer boards for the outside of each, so now the cedar extends up to about the midpoint of the screen, and the velvet extends down.

Finally, I added the steps to the riser. Once we recarpet, these won't be seen...

Djoel likes this.

post #50 of 133 Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That step looks a little low-rent now, doesn't it? eek.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #51 of 133 Old 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

This whole theater is low-rent. wink.gif Hey - it's not going to break, it's better than no step, and it will be covered with carpet eventually. We'll just call it the Kinnick Step for now.

post #52 of 133 Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh it'll be fine once carpeted. I like 'Kinnick Step' for the time being!
post #53 of 133 Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I just looked back at it. That does look terrible, doesn't it? I assure you, it's not as bad as it looks. smile.gif And I'll be fixing it soon.

post #54 of 133 Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Getting close to a year since my last update. And Nick, I still haven't upgraded the Kinnick Step. I've been too busy enjoying the theater.

Last summer I picked up some eD LCR enclosures from @ecrabb before he moved out of state. I finally got around to ordering the components to drop in them. The box from parts-express arrived this weekend, but of course I ordered the wrong size terminal plates, so the new order has been placed and as soon as they arrive I'm going to start building these out. See how they sound. I'll post pics here when I get underway!

I've also been brainstorming some ideas for DIY masking panels to blackout the letterbox on 2:40 movies. I had a very basic thought involving Fidelio velvet and elastic - the Sock Panels - and @chriscmore wants to experiment with velvet and magnets...what to do, what to do.

Oh, and I've also come up with two different ideas for the next iteration of my theater. Both involve major remodels, but man, would either be awesome.

I still love my theater, but I wish the room was wider for more seating flexibility and I wish I could have a constant height 2:40 screen. Once I hit that lottery....

post #55 of 133 Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Kinnick step" I love it!
thrillcat likes this.
post #56 of 133 Old 02-16-2015, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Speaker parts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1424128813415.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	549833  
Djoel likes this.
post #57 of 133 Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Progress is being made on the eD LCRs. On Tuesday we built the crossovers for one of them. Just need to finish up the other two and put everything in the cabinets.

In the meantime, I picked up 4 of the matching eD slant surround cabinets off craigslist to finish at some point.

post #58 of 133 Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425691557.766687.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	587929in the meantime, movies still look and sound great. Even when the movies aren't that great.

post #59 of 133 Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Crossovers built.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425756767.689940.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	589130

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425756789.230286.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	589154

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #60 of 133 Old 03-07-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LCRs are done and in. Rough calibration tomorrow.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425780936.220865.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	589914

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425780986.109170.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	589922

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425780996.849712.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	589930

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425781006.004911.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	589938

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page