Ductwork vents before I drywall my celing question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm getting close to drywalling my basement celing. I am drywalling it and not going with a drop ceiling. Now what I'm wondering is I have ductwork that goes along the length of my basement. I fured the ceiling down under the ducts. Now there are 2 vents' in the actual ducts. These now are up higher then where my drywall celing will be. So I'll need to obviously lower these maybe 6 inches or so to match up with the drywall ceiling when it is hung. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on doing this myself. Are there extentions I can get at my local homedeopt that I could put in place myself? Id' rather not have to spend a lot of money if I don't have to. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd say you could do it yourself, it's just a matter of how difficult it is and how handy you are. The only handicap I'd see is that you won't have all the bending and shaping tools that a sheet metal/HVAC guy would have and that just might add some unwanted challenges.

If you decide to tackle it, HomeDepot.com does have an "add a vent" kit that appears to have everything you'd need. I'm willing to bet though that it would be easier to extend a vent 5 feet than it would be 6 inches...that's a lot of cramped space to work in.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-6-in-Add-A-Vent-Room-Addition-Duct-Kit-AAV6/204091135
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page