TV and Home Theatre setup in Family room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am building new house and looking for ideas to setup the TV and Home Theater in family room.

Family Room Size : 19X19

Looking for the height of TV placement from the floor and also where to place the power outlet.

I have a meeting scheduled with my electrician in 3 weeks so I need to be prepared for all the positioning of speakers and power outlets.

TV Size: 70-80 inch

Speakers: 5.1 speaker system

Also need your advise on having the Amplifier, Blue Ray player, Cable in a different room and controlling them from Family room. Looking for clean set up in Family room (just tv) and other devices in a different place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
A 70"+ TV gives you a lot of leeway when it comes to the placement of the power outlet. Place a recessed outlet (Arlington TV Box - the 8x10, or 3 or 4-gang models would be my recommendation) behind the TV location. The actual height of the set will depend on your usage and seating distance to some degree. Bottom of the screen probably around 30" from the ground, give or take. So putting the box 36-50" from the ground would hide it behind the set fine...
gsrinivas likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jautor for your reply.

Also thinking of wiring all the speaker wires and cable box in a closet. what is your recommendation on this?

Can I stream audio/video through wireless or Do you think wiring for hdmi cable from closet to behind the tv is better?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Equipment in a closet is easy. An IR repeater or an RF remote allows everything to be hidden out of sight.

Definitely wire up HDMI and cat6 cables (multiple cat6) between the closet and the TV location. Use in-wall rated cables. If the run is more than 25', look at the Redmere cables for HDMI (make sure they get installed the correct direction). Most important, since the walls are open - run a flex conduit between the closet and the TV, so that you can add any cable in the future as the need arises. The conduit should be installed empty - everything else goes outside of it - save the conduit for the future.

And do not rely on any wireless solution when you can run the wires. Cheaper, easier and more reliable...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Equipment in a closet is easy. An IR repeater or an RF remote allows everything to be hidden out of sight.

Definitely wire up HDMI and cat6 cables (multiple cat6) between the closet and the TV location. Use in-wall rated cables. If the run is more than 25', look at the Redmere cables for HDMI (make sure they get installed the correct direction). Most important, since the walls are open - run a flex conduit between the closet and the TV, so that you can add any cable in the future as the need arises. The conduit should be installed empty - everything else goes outside of it - save the conduit for the future.

And do not rely on any wireless solution when you can run the wires. Cheaper, easier and more reliable...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I am not sure if my builder would do the wiring for HDMI and Cat 6 cable. I only have an option to install a smurf tube, one behind the TV and the other one in a closet. would it be easy to wire the HDMI and Cat6 cables through smurf tube? 

I am thinking of having the control center somewhere in the utility room, which i am sure is more than 25 feet away from TV.

Thanks,

Srinivas

Old 02-11-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrinivas View Post

I am not sure if my builder would do the wiring for HDMI and Cat 6 cable.

It would be very odd if the builder didn't offer something along these lines... Especially if they're willing to run flex conduit. They are almost certainly going to have cat5e/cat6 and coax lines run to many places, and should offer you the option to pay for more drops.
Quote:
would it be easy to wire the HDMI and Cat6 cables through smurf tube? 

If that's your only option, yes. But you really want to save that conduit for the future...
Quote:
I am thinking of having the control center somewhere in the utility room, which i am sure is more than 25 feet away from TV

HDMI runs longer than 25' can be hit-or-miss. Using an active cable (Redmere), an extender or cat5e/cat6 solution is more likely to work.
gsrinivas likes this.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff for your advise.

I spoke to my construction manager and they seems to be ok to wire hdmi cable for additional cost.

Do you think hdmi cable longer than 25 feet may not work properly? Also I am not sure why I would neet cat6 cable, cat6 cable is for connecting internet to the tv?

Could you recommend me what kind of storage cabinet would be good for keeping the electronics (cable modem, router, dvd player, digital box, receiver)?

Thanks,

Srinivas

Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Going off of the flex conduit thought if you look at my build in progress (link in sig) you will see what I am doing for my flex conduit runs. I got all my ideas on this from this forum! I got the conduit or otherwise known as smurf tube from my local menards.
And as jautor say's run a pull string through the run and run your cables outside the conduit leaving it open for future use. A handy tip for getting the pull string through is to use part of a plastic grocery bag. Tie one end of the pull sting to the bag. Fold it up nice and small and stuff it in one end of the tube. Then use a shop vac on the other end and suck it through. It works extreamly well I have to say! Again I have photos of some of my runs if you care to take a look at my build.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I spoke to my construction manager and they seems to be ok to wire hdmi cable for additional cost.

Do you think hdmi cable longer than 25 feet may not work properly? Also I am not sure why I would neet cat6 cable, cat6 cable is for connecting internet to the tv?

Could you recommend me what kind of storage cabinet would be good for keeping the electronics (cable modem, router, dvd player, digital box, receiver)?

Thanks,
Srinivas

Also to answer your question about why you would want cat6 to a tv location. The answer is for me there are many things these day's that use this type of cable. The main reason though is most tv's, dvd plyaers, streaming media devices will all use an internet connection. It's handy to have at minimum 2 so if you want to use your smart tv, or dvd player or roku to their potential you simply need to plug in!
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post

Also to answer your question about why you would want cat6 to a tv location. The answer is for me there are many things these day's that use this type of cable. The main reason though is most tv's, dvd plyaers, streaming media devices will all use an internet connection. It's handy to have at minimum 2 so if you want to use your smart tv, or dvd player or roku to their potential you simply need to plug in!

And many of the things that cat6 is used for have nothing to do with Ethernet / networking. The cable type can used for long HDMI runs, sending analog audio, IR control, RS232, etc. around the house. Which is the main reason you want multiples of them - assume the first one gets consumed at any location for Ethernet, and you have another one for "something else" (which could also be another Ethernet device).

Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM

Yep you are correct. I installed 4 cat6 lines to my projector location along with 2 HDMI lines. My thinking was some day if for some reason both hdmi lines become bad or unstable I can alway's swtich to a hdmi over ethernet solution. I currently do that for a run from my living room smasung tv the media pc in the basement. Works quite well.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
Srinivas

I am using a 50 foot HDMI cable with redmere technology from monoprice for my projector and I have absolutely no problems.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

I did not know that ethernet cable can be used to convert to hdmi. I connect internet to the TV using wireless repeater but it doesn't hurt to have an ethernet cable running from router to the tv.

what is this flex conduit used for? are they used to pull the wires from one outlet to the other?

This forum is really helpful, I had no idea about the setup until I posted my question in the forum.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarfan View Post

I am using a 50 foot HDMI cable with redmere technology from monoprice for my projector and I have absolutely no problems.

And I am using a startech 50' cable no problems either.
Then I added a 1x4 HDMI splitter so it goes 50' cable from dvr to splitter to 25' hdmi cable to projector (75' total) and still no problems smile.gif

BenQ W1070 - DENON AVR-E400 7.1 - SLS Q-Line Gold - Hsu VTF-2 MK4

Watch the progress http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517374/budget-build

Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

My builder is only providing cat5e cable. Does it make big difference as compared to cat6 cable?

Can I pull hdmi and cat6 cables from smurf tube?

What do you guys think about the below cable configuration that my builder is providing as standard?

Here is my builder response to my questions:

1) Recessed Outlet on the TV wall (picture attached)- we do not offer this type of finish out.  we are doing the smurf tube connection that you added to the contract.
2) Phone Jack in the cabinet.- DSS Outlet - CAT5e wire and Dual Quad is included in the family room, game and media room. in walls - no cabinet installed until after closing.

Phone and cables
phone outlets are CAT5e wire - pre wire and trim in Kitchen, master, study and media.
DSS Outlets - CAT5e wire and dual Quad Pre wire and trim at family , game and media
TV outlet-s Quad RG6 cable pre wire and trim in all bedrooms  (Cable TV Jacks equipped with RG6 run, from family cable location to distubution can in master closet.
telecom module --included 8 port
Passive video module-- included 8 port 

User Tag List