Budget build! BenQ W1070 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 05-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Impressive screen f430....have you been happy with the BenQ overall? Would you recommend it? The colors looks great in your picture. Is it close to a TV picture? Better? Worse? Be curious to know your thoughts. (and how you convinced those in your family to let you paint the wall black.)

I'm confused too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Impressive screen f430....have you been happy with the BenQ overall? Would you recommend it? The colors looks great in your picture. Is it close to a TV picture? Better? Worse? Be curious to know your thoughts. (and how you convinced those in your family to let you paint the wall black.)

Black was easy, I can't convince them to let me wall mount my speakers and hang a spandex screen!

Picture is amazing. My friend with the Panasonic 4000 and Stewart screen can't believe how good by benq and painted wall look. I think it's better than his biggrin.gif

Better than TV. Much. Nothing beats 130" smile.gif. It's crystal clear. I have an elite plasma and with light control this projector looks just as good.

BenQ W1070 - DENON AVR-E400 7.1 - SLS Q-Line Gold - Hsu VTF-2 MK4

Watch the progress http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517374/budget-build

post #33 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Spandex order got cancelled (long story) so I'm just going to hang the speakers below the screen and enjoy for a while.

Also go this cable to solve my HDMI handshaking down to stereo problem when splitting HDMI to another TV in the house.

post #34 of 35 Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Nice project. I love on-the-cheap-but-high-value setups. I have something similar (BenQ w1070 projected on a wall). Actually I used to have much more expensive klipsch thx setup and I downgraded to a 5.1 setup with like 35 dollar speakers and a cheap BestBuy sub.

I would say this, having done 7.1 and much more expensive speakers : it's not really worth it, IMO. Use that money to buy more games and Blurays instead, you'll get much more for your money. 90% of the energy produced by a sound system is in the subwoofer, the satellites really don't need to do that much work. Yes, horns are way more dynamic and explosive for movies, but that won't be welcome if you live in an apartment. A house, fine, but that room is fairly small. Put it this way, my theater room is about twice the depth of that one, but that means I have my front and rear speakers roughly equidistant to my couch, at a comfortable distance to the screen to avoid the nosebleed effect.

Also, another note, you don't really need a cross-board piece of wood like that. I have my w1070 mounted on my ceiling and the support screws support 77 lbs in jiprock, and that's with a 12 inch extender because I have 12 foot high ceiling in my loft.

Wait, wait, sorry, one last last note. Please, take that light switch outta there. You've done so much work on it and made it so nice, just to the extra couple hours of work to move it over to the edge. I very much doubt that even though the switch is white that you don't notice it. I notice imperfections in my white wall and they bug me, and they are much smaller than that light switch. I have an electric Elite screen which I don't use on account of it being only 100 inches diagonal (I bought it when I lived in a smaller condo), and I find that projecting it on a wall is just fine. I wish I'd saved the money. The only thing I'm gonna do to upgrade my setup is buy another couch and put this one behind and higher to make 2 rows for guests, and maybe upgrade this projector to the 2015 model of BenQ's low end, since the only thing out this year costs 2.5-3x as much and is not 2.5-3x as good (even if it was, who cares, this is still plenty good enough). Run it through the ground, buy another bulb, and buy a ton of games and movies and enjoy it.

And also a gym membership because buying a projector WILL make you put on 20-30 pounds in the first year of having it, if you're not careful. Happened to me, it's a shame, but this is do damn entertaining. Now I gotta dial it back.
post #35 of 35 Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok! I am done for now!! Going to just enjoy for a while with no more work planned.

I put the subwoofer to the left of the couch,
Mounted and ran all the wires for the speakers in the walls (finally!),
Ran Audessy with the height speakers installed. Sounds great!

The black walls really hide the black speakers! I am surprised. I'm glad I decided not to go in-wall. They would have been too loud in the rest of the house without the proper insulation and boxing etc, which I am way too busy to do.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page