Just not good enough... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

About a year ago I was looking into getting a new system for my house. It was a large room (22' ft x 24' ft with back opening to another 17'), with hardwood floors and wood finished walls. I ended up with the following set up:

1) Klipsch RF-82 towers, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds
2.) Onkyo NR-818 receiver
3.) Panasonic ST65 Plasma
4.) XBOX One
5.) 2 x PSA XV15 subs
6.) 2013 Mac Mini
7.) Panasonic PT-AE8000U Projector
8.) Elunevision REF 4K tension 120" screen

Anyways, one year later I'm pretty disappointed. My friends' systems which are sometimes HTIBs are more full than mine. I'm thinking that the size of the room might be the problem. I also don't feel like I'm getting enough from the centre channel. I used the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 to set the system up as well. Do you guys think I should try to get new set of speakers? Is my room not configured correctly? Should I hire a professional to set up the audio? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
suggest you post some pictures or a diagram of the entire area showing speaker placement and seating location.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 505
it's possible that what you're looking for actually isn't 'accurate' and you need to adjust some settings to your taste after the audyssey does it's thing. if there's a way to manually adjust speaker settings after the auto eq, try increasing the bass and treble a bit and see if that's what you're looking for.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 PM

Liked: 11
I just used audssey for my media room and also wasn't happy with the results. Speakers were set to large with a 120hz crossover and sub set way down. After some research on the audssey site, they stated that audssey will set up and the avr will take over and could change the settings. This is exactly what happened in my case. Set the speakers to small with 80hz crossover and dialed in sub to my liking and what a change for the better. Something very simple is wrong if your friends htib sound better than your system. A picture will help to see your setup. Good luck in the chase for better sound!
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Are there acoustic treatments in the room? From your description, it also sounds like you have a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. That may be part of your center channel problem (dialogue intelligibility).
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 14

It sounds like your Audyssey setup is limiting your output. Try resetting the amp back to factory settings and use it as-is for a few days, uncalibrated. It's not difficult to redo the Audyssey setup later if you need to.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Are there acoustic treatments in the room? From your description, it also sounds like you have a lot of hard, reflective surfaces. That may be part of your center channel problem (dialogue intelligibility).

Your Klipsch speakers should sound plenty "full" and should fill that space nicely. With wood covered walls and hardwood floors you are going to have serious reflections / echos which will amplify and distort the highs making vocals nearly intelligible and make it painful to listen to at loud volumes.

Definitely need some acoustical treatments in there.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I suspect the problem is simply that OP doesn't like what a system with reasonably flat response sounds like. The first thing to do is see if the desired sound can be achieved by adjusting the tone controls.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Rc62 Black 2 Way Center Channel Speaker , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page