AVS Forum banner

Where to place recessed boxes

399 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wkearney99 
#1 ·
I am in the middle of building a house and I will be installing the Arlington recessed boxes (3 gang). I am trying to figure out the best place to put them on the wall considering I am not positive what size TV I will use though I have general ranges.

If you have recessed boxes, how did you figure out where to put them? Should I put them slightly below where I expect the mounts to be?

#2 ·
Yeah, slightly below is good, but you've got a lot of leeway assuming the TVs are a decent size - there's a lot of screen to cover the outlet(s). And since the mount will go "over" the recessed box, it won't get in the way.

I put my Arlington boxes mostly at the planned middle of the screen, and I used both the 2-gang and 4-gang versions. I'd use the 4-gang everywhere, or more likely the newer 8x10" boxes. The only issue with the mount placement is that you may need to forego the trim piece of the Arlington box if it interferes with the mount. But that's minor, since the whole thing is hidden anyway.

The larger Arlington boxes give you a lot of flexibility in getting the cabling tucked away, too.

Jeff

#3 ·
Thanks. I'm going with the angled boxes for now. They were the only new construction ones I could find with plenty room for category cable and an easy place to feed my HDMI cable thru. I looked at the 8x10 boxes but they don't appear to be for new construction and I need to be able to rough-in the box.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjon  /t/1518642/where-to-place-recessed-boxes#post_24378096

Thanks. I'm going with the angled boxes for now. They were the only new construction ones I could find with plenty room for category cable and an easy place to feed my HDMI cable thru.

That's why I like the 4-gang box, too, but yes, I forgot about the angled power one, which is also good. The bottom opening for cables is probably easier for snaking HDMI cables.
Quote:
I looked at the 8x10 boxes but they don't appear to be for new construction and I need to be able to rough-in the box.

Gee, I just always assumed there was a new construction SKU along with the retrofit version, but you're right, I don't see it either. I wonder why they didn't do that?

#5 ·
I would have preferred the 8x10 boxes too. One weird thing about these angled boxes is that they don't come with any grommets like the 8x10 boxes. The holes are just open. It would be helpful to have one of those rubber grommets. Any ideas on where you can buy one? I wouldn't want the HDMI cable sliding back down in the wall. My fallback is using a romex connector.

#6 ·
As someone that's just built a new house I'd suggest waiting until you have the TV and the mount. And then figure out just exactly how you expect to view the TV. This because in three different places I'd placed boxes they all could stand being in slightly different locations. You don't necessarily know where this will be until you've got the gear on hand and can inspect how it'll all come together.

The one TV up on the wall in the exercise room has it's outlet just a wee bit too close to where part of the mount's back plate needs to rest on the wall. I'll have to add a thin box extender ring to it and then put the wall plate over the edge of that plate. It's behind the TV so the look won't matter. But if I'd had the mount on hard to start with I'd have stood a better chance of moving the box just the slight bit needed.

The one for the family room would've been too high. Thankfully the subcontractor that was supposed to build the cabinet for that location flaked (run screaming from Capitol Closets in Vienna, VA). So the new location, about 6" lower, won't be an issue once the cabinetry is installed.

So if you don't have it all on-hand ahead of time, or aren't absolutely sure where you're going to place things.. wait. Old work boxes can be installed very easily after the fact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.