GonzoNerd's basement build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 62 Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK, here is the weekend update. I'm heading out of town for a week so this is as far as it's getting for awhile.

My goal was to get the boards up and to cut all of the openings. I am going to have to go back later to ensure that I have enough screws in to pass the next inspection. I didn't quite get to my goal of having all of my boards up before my trip, I still have about 5 small pieces that need to be fashioned.

I don't have any moisture resistant drywall, so the bathroom still requires some work.

It's beginning to look like I am going to miss my goal of having the projector operational before the college football season, it might be a few games in before it's completed.

Here is the office area off of the stairwell
Click image for larger version

Name:	office.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	181682

View down the hallway

Name:	hall.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	181674

Bedroom

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	181666

Looking toward the theater area from bedroom

Name:	rec.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	181690

Screen wall (somewhere behind all of the drywall scraps)

Name:	20140726_195930.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	181658

Shaky pic of the seating area

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	181698
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Weekend update time. I got back from my business trip mid day on Saturday and got back to work. I managed to install all of the pieces of drywall, throw all of the craps into the bagster that I got from home depot, and sweep out most of the mess. My family is coming home tomorrow and I really wanted to have a bit of the wow factor, but I am pretty worn out now. I had a few friends come over to help put more screws in, but there is plenty more work to be done to make sure that I have a screw every foot.

I also still have to drywall my small bathroom. I bought the mold resistant drywall this morning but I just didn't have anything left to get it down stairs. I am thinking that I should be able to get it done in 4 sheets.

Here are the pics.

View of the theater area from bedroom

Name:	rec1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	195689

View of the seating area

Name:	seat1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	195705

The screen wall

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	195697

The AV rack

Name:	rack and dvd.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	195713

I know that alot of people on this forum have some amazing racks that pull out, spin around, and transform. I thought about going that direction but decided on keeping it simple. I am going to put a door in the side to access the rear of the components. It means that I would have to move the fridge to do it, but I am hoping that I won't have to re-wire it very often after setup.

Name:	rack side.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	195721

Time to mix my victory martini and watch some netflix before bed.
post #33 of 62 Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I have been throwing a lot more screws into the drywall and ensuring that the screws are Deep enough. I got 2 quotes for taping and mudding so far and neither of them are making me happy. $3800 and $2700 so far. Seems pretty high for around 900 sq/ft.

I really don't want to go DIY on this but that might be how it turns out.
post #34 of 62 Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoNerd View Post
Ok, I have been throwing a lot more screws into the drywall and ensuring that the screws are Deep enough. I got 2 quotes for taping and mudding so far and neither of them are making me happy. $3800 and $2700 so far. Seems pretty high for around 900 sq/ft.

I really don't want to go DIY on this but that might be how it turns out.
Wow that does seem high. I'm not really sure what.the going rate is but I have a guy lined up to hang it, tape, and mud for 2100. I have them coming by next week for another walk through as that was a while ago. I do have to by the drywall and other mats though so maybe that's lowereing the price a lot.
post #35 of 62 Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have one more quote that I'm waiting on, then Ill make the decision. I installed my shower base today and I have been hanging the mold resistant drywall in the bathroom.
post #36 of 62 Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I have finally found a quote that I can work with. I have to buy the materials but he can tape mud, prime and paint for well under the next lower quote. He will be starting today. Pretty excited now. My quotes ranged from $1300 to $4700
post #37 of 62 Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Nice. Prime and paint would be sweet! The guy's that are going to be hanging, taping, mudding my basement also will paint and do trim. I'm still waiting for them to call me to setup another walk through though and at that time I was going to get a price on the painting and possibly the trim work. Can't hurt to get a price at least. But i suspect I'll be doing all that myself.
post #38 of 62 Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I was resigned to prime and paint myself until I found this guy.

I got my rough drywall inspection done this morning (I forgot about this inspection and I was lucky that they could come out this morning before my drywall guy got started.
He noticed a few spots that needed some more screws so I took care of that when I got home. I then put up the cement backer board in the shower area so that the drywall can be finished up to it.

Most of the seams have been taped, it's probably going to take 3-4 days. My wife and I need to hurry up and pick some paint.
post #39 of 62 Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update time. I didn't know what to do with myself with someone else working in the basement so my wife and I have been on a spending spree. We picked out carpet and tile for the bar/bathroom, bought light fixtures, picking up a craigslist fridge this evening, and I am renting a trailer to pick up doors and baseboards tomorrow.

The walls are looking great. The first coat of primer is going up now and color is going up tomorrow. I'm taking some vacation time and my father in law is coming into town to help get to the finish line. Doors, baseboards, and tile going in this weekend and carpet next week if everything goes well.

I'll post some pics tomorrow after the walls are done
post #40 of 62 Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

That's awsome! I'm jealous. I'm still waiting to get my drywall started. Killing me having to wait too! I have a quick question for you if you don't mind?

How tall are your ceilings? Mine are close to 9' for most of the basement save the parts that I had to fur down for the duct work. So I'm having a hard time determining how to do the walls where the ceiling is 9'. I was planning to purchase 4x10 sheets. If I hung them vertically then I could cut a foot or so off the bottom and span the space from floor to ceiling. However I would rather not hang my drywall vertically in case my studs are not perfectly flat. I could cause my walls to not be flat. On the other hand if I go horizontal it would leave me a foot on the bottom and give me another seem to have to deal with. I guess I could go with 54"12' foot sheets but they are more expensive and just harder to move into the basement. I was just wondering if you had a similar issue and how you dealt with it?

Thanks in advance.
post #41 of 62 Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't have that problem, I wish that my ceilings were a little bit taller. My ceilings are right around 8 at the tallest, I ran them horizontally.

If you could get the 10 footers into your basement then that is what I would do in your case. You would have less seams to deal with, and a good taping guy will be able to mud the seams so that they are seamless. One of my taping estimate guys said that is what I should have done with 8 footers.

I hope that helps.

I took a walk through the basement this evenings and everything is white down there. Pics posted tomorrow.
post #42 of 62 Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. I rented a trailer today to pick up my doors and baseboards. Unfortunately I had to go to 3 different stores to find all of the sizes that I needed. While at Home Depot I found out they were having a sale on in stock cabinets so I picked up a few for the future bar.

My tape guy finished painting today around 2 oclock and since then I have been running some lights back up and learning the art of hanging doors. It would be a lot easier if I didn't have to cut most of them down to fit under the soffits. I have the bedroom closet door hung so far.

Here is how it looks as of now.

Bedroom:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1408673582

Office:

Rec area towards theater area:

Screen wall somewhere behind the plastic covered items:

My second carpet estimator came by today and I am hoping to get it installed next week. Tomorrow I am putting down the floor tile in front of the bar and in the bathroom and then start the baseboards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint bed.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	223081   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint office.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	223089   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint rec.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	223097   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint seating area.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	223105   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint screen wall.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	223113  

post #43 of 62 Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

That's awesome! Lookin real good. I have my drywallers starting tomorrow morning. they say they can hang it all in one day. Then Sunday the tape guy will do the first coat of tape and mud. 3 visits it will take him to finish the job. Then it's up to me to prime and paint. I have to get to HD tonight and rent one of their trucks to pick up the 80 sheets of drywall. Going to suck to move it all but I couldn't get delivery for tomorrow morning and that's when I need it there by.

Looking forward to pictures of what you went with on Trim and doors! Your almost there!

Last edited by gec5741; 08-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #44 of 62 Old 08-23-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Made some pretty good progress the past few days. My in laws cane into town to lend a hand.

We hung all of the doors, put a coat of paint on the base boards, put down tile in the bar area and the bathroom, and started to hang the door molding.

That's when things went wrong. My father in law was cutting a shim when the knife slipped and got his wrist. Luckily he didn't lose too much blood before we got it stopped. He is fine and is waiting to get stitches.

This basement is looking to disfigure everyone who takes part in the project. I still have remnants of my black eye. I'm not giving up though.
post #45 of 62 Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

So, we got my wifes father all bandaged up late last night. He just has to keep from using the arm for 2 weeks and I managed to clean up most of the crime scene.

As far as the project goes I installed the door molding and started on the baseboards. I am envisioning having to use a good amount of caulk and puddy to line everything up.

I also put the projector up and fired it up. It looks pretty good on the wall, so I wont be in too much of a hurry to build a screen.

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bed door.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	228193   Click image for larger version

Name:	office door.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	228201   Click image for larger version

Name:	proj test.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	228209   Click image for larger version

Name:	tile.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	228217  
post #46 of 62 Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Wow I'm sorry to hear about your father in laws accident! that is scary! Glad he's going to be OK. Luckily I've only managed to get a sliver during my build. it was a bad one though. big chunch of wood went into my nail up to the base of it. Had to get half the nail cut off to get it out.

Those pictures look great. It's crazy how similar in way's your basement looks to mine as far as layout. The first picture is freaky close to the same view I have going out of my media room. I framed a double door as you did! I'm not putting a door on it for now though. I'm leaving it open but if down the road I ever change my mind I could go with a door. The basement is looking good! Keep it up!

Last edited by gec5741; 08-25-2014 at 12:18 PM.
post #47 of 62 Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have been hustling to install baseboards and my carpet is going in tomorrow.

Very excited! pics tomorrow.
post #48 of 62 Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am counting it as achieving my goal. I got the projector up and running before the college football season. Right now I have it showing right on the wall and it looks pretty good. My wall color is versatile grey from sherwin williams and I think it is good enough to keep me for awhile. I havent measured what size throw that I have yet but I am guessing around 100.

I have had a setback though. I designed the space around using my old couch setup, and my couch isn't going to fit down the stairs. It is time to look for another solution.

I bought a Denon s700 receiver and I am very happy with it so far. Way better than my 7 year old Onkyo that I got in a HTIB that is in my living room.

My cell camera doesn't do the screen justice, I am going to watch the first movie this evening.

My son playing ps3 marvel Lego. Note the custom center channel stand.

Name:	game.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	239169

Game Day!

Name:	rough draft.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	239177

Here is the rough draft of the AV rack. It still needs a bit of work but it does the job.

Name:	rough stereo.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	239185
post #49 of 62 Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Lookin good! I don't have my PJ yet but have to start thinking of the big day when I go to the store and drop a butt load of cash. I need to get a 60ish inch for the my two boy's game/hangout area. I need around a 37 inch tv for above the bar location. I need the PJ and reciever and some speakers! But that is a good month or two away i would say. I'm in the middle of painting now. I spent the entire weekend down there and managed to get everything primed. Yesterday I spent 6 hours getting 2 coats of the actual ceiling color on the ceiling. I also put the first coat of very dark grey on the back screen wall and the ceiling above. Hope by the weekend to have all the walls done!

What PJ do you have again? The picture looks great on it! OH and I love the center channel stand!
post #50 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Gec, it is the Benq w1070.

I have found that my progress has slowed since I got the projector up and running, and I am really ok with that.

Here are a few updates:

OK, so game day brought on a family dilemma. The wife loves Notre Dame and my Auburn Tigers were playing at the same time so I had to move another TV downstairs. She had the better matchup so she got the bigger screen.

Name:	2 screen.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	253442

I also installed the tile, and the vanity and toilet. There is a moment of victory when you get it all set up and you don't see any leaks.

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	253450

I am now building the shelves for my big hall closet. It will be nice to get some of the Christmas decorations out of the garage. Hopefully I can get to the point where we can park in there before it starts snowing. After that I think I am going to take a crack at painting a better screen. The wall looks great, and everyone says I should just leave it but if I had that mentality then I would still have an unfinished basement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sconce.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	253458  
post #51 of 62 Old 09-08-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and batman came to watch the games.
post #52 of 62 Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Not the most exciting update but I wanted to prove that I am still working. I finished my hall closet and have populated it with holiday decorations. I even still have some more room to cram some stuff in there.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...260810&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...260802&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...260794&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...260818&thumb=1

I have made all of the cuts for my built in oak dvd/bluray rack and I am currently waiting between coats of stain for the rack and the cabinets for the wet bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closet1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	260794   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	260802   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	260810   Click image for larger version

Name:	closet4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	260818  
post #53 of 62 Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man - great looking room so far.
post #54 of 62 Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Update time. I have decided on just painting the wall for the time being. The majority of my walls are Sherwin Williams versatile gray in eggshell which seems to be close to the beige family. I painted my screen with Behr's new marquis paint matched to sherwin williams unique gray. I was pretty impressed with the coverage of this product, I was able to completely cover the wall cover with one coat. I then added 2 coats of my unique gray mixed with satin poly in a 1/4 mixture. I think it looks great, but I don't have that much experience with projectors.

I then build the frame. It is built out of cheap home depot common boards that are 3.5 inches wide and mitre cut. I then wrapped each piece in velvet from Joannes fabric and assembled them with the L brackets. I then hung it using the hangman cleat system.

I also installed the cabinets for the wet bar stained the same Java color as my DVD rack. My countertops are still being worked on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140919_170427.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	278609   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_170423.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	278617   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_170356.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	278625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_151351.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	278633   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_151402.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	278641  

Name:	20140920_151329.jpg
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	278649  
post #55 of 62 Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet! Frame looks good. How big of a screen did you end up with and how did you stretch the actual screen material?
post #56 of 62 Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

It's at 97 inches. No screen, my drywall guy did a pretty good job do I painted the wall. I'm happy with the size at my viewing distance. There is still plenty of work to do in the basement but it's nice that I can at least use the projector.
post #57 of 62 Old 09-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looks great! I'm envious!
post #58 of 62 Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Yea I agree it looks great. I'm very close to being able to just get the PJ and at least use it. Not sure how long till I have carpeting though in that room. My goal is to get the hard wood down for the bar area (basically the middle part of the basement. Get trim and doors in and then get the carpet for the remainder which would be about the last big thing to get done. Well except for the bathroom so that may get done before the carpeting too. It would be nice to be able to use that sooner then later!
post #59 of 62 Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Yea I agree it looks great. I'm very close to being able to just get the PJ and at least use it. Not sure how long till I have carpeting though in that room. My goal is to get the hard wood down for the bar area (basically the middle part of the basement. Get trim and doors in and then get the carpet for the remainder which would be about the last big thing to get done. Well except for the bathroom so that may get done before the carpeting too. It would be nice to be able to use that sooner then later!
Fun build. makes me want to build some walls and hang some drywall !
post #60 of 62 Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Basement progress has slowed for a few reasons. The first being that I have an operational projector and I have found my motivation to throw myself at the project at the same fervor that I had before unnecessary. The second is that I have been traveling a bunch for work.

But I have made some progress in the bar area. It took me longer to stain and poly all of the pieces but here they are. I was initially going to look for some remnant granite but I couldn't get a good enough price in my area and my wallet is looking thin here at the tail end of the project. Instead I got some birch butcher block that I used for the bar top and for the matching table behind the couch. This is the second time that I stained those two items. The first time I stained, put on 6 coats of poly, then carried down to have my wife tell me that it clashed with the floor (she was right) so I had to buy a belt sander and start over.

I'm still not quite sure what to do with that pole.

Here are the pics:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...333178&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...333186&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...333194&thumb=1

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...333202&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	333178   Click image for larger version

Name:	bar3.jpg