• 1 Post By BasementHT5
  • 1 Post By GonzoNerd
  • 1 Post By GonzoNerd

post #1 of 28 Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

OK, so I am trying to make the best of what I have going.  I am about to completely finish my basement and I am looking to add a bedroom (for resale) a 3/4 bath and a family media room.

This is what I am currently looking at.  I really can't move the bedroom much because that is where the egress window is at and the bathroom is pretty set since it is roughed in.

I am thinking about a general purpose family room with a small bar and a fridge.  I am planning on decoupling in the media room area and possibly putting in a projector.  I know that my current layout isn't ideal, but at least I can close off the area.  the couch positions are pretty nominal.

I have spent a lot of time trolling the forums and I was hoping to get a second set of eyes (or a hundred) to see if there is something I am missing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

How tall are your ceilings?  Where will you be putting your screen?  Are there any windows in that media room?  Do you have room in the mech room walls facing the media room to put in a built in rack?

Other things to consider:  electrical usage (do you have empty slots on your panel), HVAC (if you're making that room airtight, you'll need separate HVAC setups), riser/stage (are you adding these and where).

Depending on how much you're spending, did you consider going through one of the dedicated theatre design guys here on AVS?

Good luck!!!!!  That's going to be a lot of work.

post #3 of 28 Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, I have been trying to figure out this framing thing, so far I have the wall just north of my stairwell framed in.  Hopefully I will get a bit faster as I get the hang of it.

The basement is 8' ceilings except I will have to have a soffit running the length where I will lose a foot of headroom.

I'm sure I have room in the mech room to carve out rack space.  I have a sump pump in the upper left corner that could be framed larger for the rack, or I could build into a closet that I have to enclose my electrical panel in the lower left.

I am in the military, so I know I won't be in this house for more than 3-4 years, so that means I might not get that dream theater room.  I just don't think I would get that money back on resale.  I would like to put in enough sound deadening so that I don't wake up the kids who will be sleeping 2 floors above when I watch a movie.  Something that I can't do now in my open living room

I have 6-7 open panels in my electrical box so I think that I should be good on that front.  

post #4 of 28 Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the slow progress.

I have also attached a few pics of the proposed media/family room.  I might have to clear it out a bit before I get that far. 

post #5 of 28 Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, the going is slow but I am making some progress.  I am just about finished with my framing and I could use some opinions from the experts.

My biggest question is what wall to put my projector screen on.  It looks like the 2 options are on the west wall next to my electric panel or on the south wall.  I am planning on putting a wet bar on the north wall (its the only place that I can plumb it).   The entire north portion of the rec room L has a shorter ceiling due to a soffit, it is only about 78 inches tall there.  My sump pump is on the left of the proposed bar area, I am planning on framing it in and using the area on top of it to house my rack space.

I would also like to find a place to put my old 50 inch plasma where it can be seen next to the projector screen for college football.

I have attached a new version of the floorplan and a few photos, thanks in advance for any advice.

post #6 of 28 Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure anyone is following but here is my update.  I have been traveling quite a bit for work so progress has been sporadic.

First a safety message, be careful when using big drills to drill plumbing holes.  I had the drill kick back on me and I have been sporting this shiner for the past 2 weeks.

OK here is the basement.  I now have more motivation to get it done since I pulled the trigger on a Benq w1070 that will be here next week.  Here is my potential office/treadmill room.  Plenty of network drops and a dedicated circuit in case I put a treadmill in there.  I also routed an HDMI from my rack location behind the theater.

Bathroom, I still need to route the supply lines and finish framing out the front wall once I get the shower in.

Here is the bedroom and closet.  I don't have a need for a fifth bedroom but I figured it would be good for resale.  I decided to put  french doors leading in so that I can let in some daylight (one of 2 windows in the basement) and have it almost be an extension of the media/theater room.  HDMI and network in here also.

:Here is my screen wall, I am going to mount the projector in the soffitt overhead.  It is looking like I am getting a 92-97 inch screen with a seating distance of about 9 feet.  I also ran HDMI to where you could put TV in the front and an HDMI to the left in case I get crazy and put up a flat screen for a second screen for college football days.

Here is the back wall of the theater nook. I have all of my HDMI from the basement routed here, my intent is to build the rack area above the sump pump.  The area to the right will be a wet bar where I will put a fridge (kegerator).  I am thinking about a 7.1 system using in wall/ceiling speakers for the rear and I just bought some Andrew Jones pioneer towers and center for the front.  I will probably have to get a new subwoofer once I get closer to completion.

I still have a lot of work to do, but the goal is to have it done before college football season.  I have all of my lights and outlets placed but I still need to route the romex throughout.  

post #7 of 28 Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Nice progress!!!!!  Looks like you're approaching the drywall stage soon.  I'd recommend farming that out.

RBalwinski likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Funny you should say that, I was just looking up h ow tough it would be to do it myself and I think it would be worth it to pay for the taping and mudding. I already bought the drywall lift and I am planning on paying the delivery charge to get the sheets to the basement.

Progress has slowed a bit due to work and vacation. Im taking tomorrow off of work to flood my basement, I mean to turn off the water and connect the plumbing supply lines.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoNerd View Post

Funny you should say that, I was just looking up h ow tough it would be to do it myself and I think it would be worth it to pay for the taping and mudding. I already bought the drywall lift and I am planning on paying the delivery charge to get the sheets to the basement.

This is the way to go. Check to see if the contractor provides the mud or if you do....Also, can you save some money doing your own cleanup? It's a pain, but not nearly as tedious as mudding/taping yourself.

I'm confused too.

post #10 of 28 Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looking good.

I am at the drywall stage myself. Hasn't been started just yet. I had someone lined up to do it all for me (I buy the drywall) but right now I just don't have the lump sum of cash on hand so I'm thinking about just starting the drywall little by little. But for sure I will pay to have someone tape and mud and hopefully clean up.
post #11 of 28 Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I didn't flood the basement.  But why would they ship a shower valve in the on position?  I got the supply lines in the bath, the wet bar sink, and I ran a cold water line for an ice maker for the fridge.

It was a busy social weekend so I didn't have as much time in the basement as I would have liked.  I did get some recessed lighting wired in.  Its my first time working with LEDs, it was tough spending $14 per light bulb but I think they look pretty nice.  I am still going to pay someone to hook up my circuits to the breaker box, I used the existing basement circuit to power the lights.

In the viewing area I am trying to get the lutron IR dimmer working.  I don't think I have enough wattage on  the circuit right now.  The LEDs will dim but they won't turn all of the way off.  Still under investigation but it would be cool to have lights dim when I press play on the movie.

Here is the only photo I took.

post #12 of 28 Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementHT5 View Post

Nice progress!!!!!  Looks like you're approaching the drywall stage soon.  I'd recommend farming that out.

Best money I've spent on my build. Drywallers loaded and hung all of the drywall in mine in one day - very impressive!
post #13 of 28 Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

It didn't take much convincing from you guys, but I have decided to hire a drywaller to tape and mud for me.  I already bought a drywall lift so I have committed myself to hanging it myself when the time comes.

I still have a few more things to do:

- Finish running electric and connect to breaker box

- Connect boots to 3 HVAC supply runs

- Hook up the drain for the bar sink

- Minor framing (drywall blocking, reinforce the half wall to basement, frame out dvd rack and av rack)

- Fireblock

- Insulation

But some of these will have to wait.  As I was cleaning up downstairs I noticed that there was a wet spot under my bar area.  I had a slow leak from one of my connections.  So I put the kids to bed and now I am waiting for the CPVC glue to dry before I turn the water back on.  I had a workout before all of this and I really need a shower so I hope there aren't any leaks.

post #14 of 28 Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK, small update. A week long family vacation really slows progress.

I have decided that I need to finish all of the little framing bits that I have been neglecting in order to get the saw and wood scraps out of the way down there.

I was working on framing out my dvd storage and AV rack when I came to the realization that I didn't have a very good plan on how I wanted the final product to look like. My AV rack is going to be above my sump pump, so I need to build in some kind of access to it. Do I cover the edges in sheetrock or painted or stained plywood? The fridge is going just to the right of the rack, but maybe I can put some removeable panels on the right to help wire everything up and grant access to the sump pump? I would love to have a fancy pre built rack that can pull out but I can't justify the expense on a house that I am not going to live in for that long. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DVD rack to left and AV/sump pump to right
rack.jpg

AV rack/sump pump front
rack2.jpg

Side view of AV rack/sump pump
rack3.jpg
post #15 of 28 Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

A small progress update. I am under the impression that I am done with framing so I have removed all of my scrap lumber and folded up my saw until trim work.

I cut down the wall next to the stairwell to make a half wall and open it up a bit. The bottom of the wall had way too much play in it so I did the following modifications. I probably have about 5 ramset nails in the floor plate and I don't know how many screws in there. It might not be pretty but that wall aint moving now.

20140630_192850.jpg

I also finished up my HVAC work by putting in some returns through my soffit.

20140630_192826.jpg

Finally I have cut the hole in the soffit for the projector to live in, I will test fit it a bit later tonight.

20140630_192816.jpg

Oh, and don't judge the electrical wires. I still have a bunch of electric work before this project is done.

Last edited by GonzoNerd; 06-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, progress is being made. I have completed everything on my punch list and as far as I know I am ready for my mechanical inspection. The inspectors will be coming over tomorrow at noon.

I also had 100 sheets of drywall delivered today.

I will post some pics tomorrow of the pre drywall stage.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

OK, the plumbing inspection went fairly well. I have about 20 minutes of work to do to get to where I need to be. I'm considering that a win. I'm waiting for the next inspector while I am typing this.

Here are some pics of the current state.

The stairwell got dinged up a bit getting the sheetrock down, I'm ok with it because I didn't have to carry it.
20140716_103431.jpg

Here is the first stack of sheetrock, this is the 1/2 for most of the walls.
14 - 3.jpg

Here is stack 2, this is the 5/8 for the ceiling and my new toy that will hopefully help the installation process.
14 - 1.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the fireblocking that I put up. For most of the walls I went with the insulation method.
14 - 4.jpg

And a shot of where I had to re route all of my coax to my unfinished mech room.
20140716_102509.jpg
gec5741 likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
looks nice! what's all the coax for?
post #19 of 28 Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Looking good! I can't wait to see how the drywall goes. I am close to starting to hang my own drywall hopefully in the next few weeks. I know how I did the ceiling I'm going to have a "fun" time getting it hung. Oh well I'll get the job done. I will definately be renting a lift for that job! I have been debating on going with 5/8 for the ceiling. Is there a big benefit to using that apposed to 1/2 inch? I would think it could help for sound.

P.S. Just looking through your layout pictures and it's funny how similar the rough layout of your basement is to mine. It's cool to see how other people tackle a similar setup.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Looking good! I can't wait to see how the drywall goes. I am close to starting to hang my own drywall hopefully in the next few weeks. I know how I did the ceiling I'm going to have a "fun" time getting it hung. Oh well I'll get the job done. I will definately be renting a lift for that job! I have been debating on going with 5/8 for the ceiling. Is there a big benefit to using that apposed to 1/2 inch? I would think it could help for sound.

P.S. Just looking through your layout pictures and it's funny how similar the rough layout of your basement is to mine. It's cool to see how other people tackle a similar setup.
I'm hoping that the 5/8 is a bit better with sound but the primary reason that I went with it is that it is supposed to dash less with studs on 24 inch center which is what I did in my soffit area. It's also supposed to be a bit better at staying level with stud inconsistencies.

Porpie, all of the coax to all of my drops and my satellite and internet were routed into the house right next to my electrical panel. I decided to reroute all of them to the same place that all of my network cable terminates.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Liked: 11
What program did you use for sketching the design? Thanks.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
What program did you use for sketching the design? Thanks.
I will have to check the program I used when I get home, I can't seem to remember the name of it right now.

I meant to write that the 5/8 drywall will sag less on the ceiling, not dash less. The joys of typing on a cell phone.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

The program I used ess home designer suite. It will give you a 3d rendering of your space, you can even paint your walls. It can do all kinds of things that I didn't take the time to play with.

My mechanical inspection was inconclusive. Everything looked good but the inspector didn't know if my fire blocking into the soffit was enough so he is bringing a different guy by on Monday. The good news is that I have clearance to start putting up insulation on the ceiling and sheetrock as long as I leave the question areas open
epepin likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-17-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

The wife has left today to take the kids to her parents for a few weeks during the summer so I have decided to take full advantage of the free time. After getting home from work I strapped on the respirator, put on an old baseball cap and started jamming r19 insulation in the ceiling. Fiberglass is awful stuff. I was making some great progress and I was in the back corner of my bar at about 9:00 this evening when I accidentally the plumbing supply to my icemaker and nearly flooded the basement before I was able to get to the shutoff........

Well, there were a few things that the plumbing inspector needed me to do, so I decided to take advantage of the water being shutoff so I ran to home depot to pick up a few things to fix the inspection problem. I get home and repair my damage and do the fixes really hoping that I get it right. I don't want to go to bed covered in fiberglass.
I wanted to give the cpvc glue at least 30 minutes to dry so I managed to finish the ceiling insulation so that I don't have to put that respirator on again tomorrow. /i turned the water back on and there wasn't anything gushing so I considered it a win. After a hot shower I am now having a victory martini. My living room is right above my theater area so I turned on the living room TV at the average listening level and I couldn't hear it downstairs (of course I did have a fan going downstairs to dry out the lake that I have down there.

I still have to insulate the walls between mech room and the theater area. I have decided to spend a bit more for the roxul stuff. It is a relative small area and I want to do all that I can to block the sound of the HVAC. Mostly I don't want to play with any more fiberglass.

Here are some pics, hopefully I can get a few sheets of drywall up tomorrow.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1405656988

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140717_203224.jpg (121.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20140717_225737.jpg (105.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20140717_203201.jpg (182.4 KB, 6 views)
post #25 of 28 Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 AM

Looking good. Sorry to hear about your water problem but glad you got it fixed and taken care of. Man I wish my wife would go away for a while with the kids! Not that I don't want to see them but to have some uninterupted time to work would be heaven!

I did the same thing as you with the ceiling but It took me a few weeks to get it all done. My joists were not 16 on center so I could not run my insulation in full bats. I had to make a million cuts to fit each cavity. Between that and all the things actually in the ceiling it was tedious to say the least. The walls were not much better because I have so much in the walls in at least half the basement. But it's done. I wanted to go with Roxul but I didn't end up using it anywhere. For me it just came down to cost but I wish I could of. If you can I think you will be better off for sound.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

The ceiling went much faster than I expected. One of the benefits of the unfaced fiberglass was that I could tear it to the size that I needed. My unfinished area isn't all that big so I think I can do the walls with two to three packages of the roxul
post #27 of 28 Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

OK, the good part about the family being gone is that I can focus all of my efforts in the basement. The bad news is that I have been focusing all of my efforts in the basement. Today is the fourth day in a row that I found myself down there until 9pm. To add to that I seem to have reverted to my basic bachelor state, 4 my last 6 meals have been leftover pizza. Hopefully I can survive the two weeks without the wife. I have called it quits for tonight and now I am posting my weekend update while having a beer and watching one of my all time favorite cheesy movies, Big trouble in little China.

I was able to insulate the walls around my unfinished mechanical room with roxul on Friday night, and I threw any extra that I had in the wall between the bedroom and rec room. Ever since then it has been fun with sheetrock. That stuff starts to get heavy after working with it all day. I have made a good dent in the rec room, as far as I can get while leaving the places that the inspector needs to check tomorrow. I then moved onto the bedroom. It looks better in the picture than it really is. I have focused mostly on getting the sheets cut and put into place, I will have to go back later and put more sheetrock screws in to get it ready for the tape/mud crew.

20140718_184845.jpg
20140718_184859.jpg
14 - 1.jpg
20140720_211218.jpg
20140720_211232.jpg

I have put in a request to take tomorrow off of work so that I could get more work done, but after this weekend I kind of with that I was going to work tomorrow.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing on dryawall installation. I bought a collated screwdriver, which is basically a belt fed drill. I was hoping that it would save me some time, it was a rigid from home depot and I couldn't get the thing to work, it would either misfeed or malfunction in some other way. So that guy will be going back to the store.

A tool that I will recommend is a rotozip 6 amp, it has made short work of all of my recessed lighting and outlet cutouts. I initially started using a black and decker dremel knockoff that I have had for years, but it broke during the first recessed light and I ended up buying the rotozip.

The drywall jack has been invaluable also, there is no way that I could have got this far by myself. I picked mine up from harbor freight for $130 after the ever present 50% off coupon and I have seen them listed for sale on craigslist for $120 so I don't think I will be out much once I sell it after the project. It should be considerable less expensive than if I had to rent one every day.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page