DJEarl's Basement Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 142 Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Basement and Annapolis,

Paint then tile...sounds good. Will use the transition strips between carpet and tile for certain. The one in Annapolis' picture are almost identical to the ones we have upstairs.

Currently have a quote in hand from Lowe's to do the carpet. Costco is sending a guy out next week to measure and give a quote. May the best company win.

Back to sanding and finish mudding.....

I'm confused too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 142 Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

S and D were over yesterday to help paint. We got 3 coats of Offbeat on the ceiling, and 3 coats of film fest on the walls. The remaining portions will get Ocean Liner. Decided to go with an eggshell finish. Flat seems to catch everything, and the semi-gloss in the rest of the house would reflect too much light. It really boils down to personal preference. I took the light bulbs out of the cans during painting for three reasons. Didn't want to get paint on them as the stick down past the edge of the can. (Haven't adjusted them yet.) The roller could go straight over the can opening. Needed to put up the trim rings and this seemed like the right time to remove the bulbs.

After painting the walls there are a few spots that need some additional mudding/sanding. I think I'm going to do one coat of ocean liner so the whole basement has color and to find the flaws on those walls. (Plus it'll give us a chance to change our minds about the color if we don't like it.)Then pick up the trim rings for the recessed lighting and get the bulbs in place again. That should light the basement and find the true flaws that need touch up. I'll go back with the mud and touch up the needed areas throughout the whole basement. Then put on the final 2 coats. We've got the paint and it isn't nearly as labor intensive as the sanding.

The brownish/orange on the right and the brown on the screen wall are actually the same "film fest" color. They just have different lighting.

A few shots fo the bar area. The back bar wall will be the same color as the ceiling. The blue/green ocean liner just didn't seem to fit the feel of the bar that I wanted. (In theory, we'll see how it turns out.)

Here's the color samples from behr's website again just to give a comaparison., the film fest (dark brown) is actually much darker in the basement than the sample color on behr's website. We didn't want to do black. The film fest should disappear nicely when watching the projector. (We have a dark green behind the LED TV upstairs. When we watch it with the lights off the image is the only thing you see.)

I'm confused too.

post #93 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AVS Forum updated their interface....uploading images isn't as easy as it was two days ago. If there's an admin out there, please let me know how I can resize the images to the old "medium" settings. Thanks.

We'll here's the painted product....We also installed the trim for the recessed lighting. Once I realized the mounting bracket in the can had to be removed (angle bracket and circle metal piece) thus disconnecting the light socket from the can....Then the light socket attaches directly to the trim. Things went much more smoothly. The lights look great. All the same height and all the trims flush to the ceiling. Definitely worth taking the extra few minutes to understand how things work before proceeding.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting - Greens (4).jpg
Views:	572
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	110825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting - Greens (1).jpg
Views:	569
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	110833  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-12-2014 at 06:56 AM.
post #94 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Now it's on to tile in the bathroom....We went with the Messa Beige 9 X 12 tiles for the bathroom. Going to have a basic subway pattern. BTW, the bathroom is sky blue. Should look good with the beige tiles, dark brown vanity, beige vanity top, and white trim work.

Washed the bathroom floor with tsp last night and put a blower on it over night. D is coming by today to seal it with RedGuard. With any luck we'll be laying tile tomorrow afternoon/evening as time and work permits.

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-12-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #95 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
dj, Your space is looking very good. I'll bet you can't wait to get some furnishings in place and the electronics installed and operating. I'm just about done with getting my drywall up, but I'm going to leave the mudding, taping, and corner beads to the experts. A local DW contractor quoted me a price I can't turn down. Correctly done drywall definitely makes the finished room look much better. Then it will be onto the painting, doors and finish work. I'm getting closer...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #96 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

D was over to put down two coats of RedGuard before the tiling starts.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tile - RedGuard (2).jpg
Views:	559
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	111745  

I'm confused too.

post #97 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
dj, Your space is looking very good. I'll bet you can't wait to get some furnishings in place and the electronics installed and operating. I'm just about done with getting my drywall up, but I'm going to leave the mudding, taping, and corner beads to the experts. A local DW contractor quoted me a price I can't turn down. Correctly done drywall definitely makes the finished room look much better. Then it will be onto the painting, doors and finish work. I'm getting closer...
Congrats Red. Would like to see pictures when the time comes. I'm jealous that you won't have sore hands from mudding and sanding.

I'm confused too.

post #98 of 142 Old 06-12-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post
Congrats Red. Would like to see pictures when the time comes. I'm jealous that you won't have sore hands from mudding and sanding.
Even though I haven't started a build thread, I'm sure I'll post a few before and after pics. I just haven't had the time to keep up with a thread. Plus, I'm also tackling my whole basement. 2 finished rooms and 2 semi-finished rooms, plus a staircase! It has turned out to be a much bigger project and time consumer than I thought. And, we won't even talk about the budget!

When it comes to mudding and taping I'd like to think I know my 'handy-man' limitations. There are a few things I'm not willing or comfortable taking on around the house and mudding and taping is one of them. I had a real nice owner of a local DW business (started by his Dad in the 60's) come to the house yesterday to see the extent of the scope of work. I was pleasantly surprised with the final quote. I have high confidence the job will be top-notch. And no, I don't envy your sore hands.

redjr...

post #99 of 142 Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Made some great progress over the past few days. We now have a functional bathroom complete with tile, grout, vanity, sink, faucet, and toilet. Thanks to D for laying the tile and to D, UC, and UR for setting up the vanity, sink, and toilet. I need to put the knobs on the vanity, they came with 2 sets of screws (short ones and long ones.) The short ones are to short and the long ones are way too long. So, I guess I'll be picking up the right ones when I get a chance to get to the hardware store. The bathroom walls are sky blue.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bathroom and Doors (1).jpg
Views:	475
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	122122  
redjr likes this.

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-17-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #100 of 142 Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Woohoo! The electrical, HVAC, and plumbing is finished! (We'll do the finish plumbing for the bar sink when the time comes.) Huge thanks to D, UC, and UR!

So at this point the punch list is down to:

• Trim Windows
  • Trim Electrical Panel
  • Paint Doors
  • Install Door Knobs
  • Paint Trim
  • Install Trim
  • Trim work on sump pit bench (To match dining room)
  • Paint doors
  • Paint Speakers
  • Install Speakers (and Test)
  • Touch Up Paint
  • Finish Low Voltage
  • Install Projector/Screen (and Test)
  • Finish drop ceiling in raceway
  • Clean up and Inventory Tools
  • Assemble RTA cabinets for back bar area.
  • Pick out back bar top, sink, faucet....
  • Carpet Install (Lowe's came out to be about $2K cheaper than the other stores in our area. We didn't buy the top of the line carpet, but it is soft and mold/moisture resistant.)
  • Clean/Organize storage room
  • Have a drink

Feels really good today. About 18 days till due date and the baby punch list is getting more and more important over the basement list. The heavy dust is finished! Be trading a drywall trowel for a dirty diaper. Can't wait!

I'm confused too.

post #101 of 142 Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a few pictures showing the bathroom sconces and the installed doors. I would have painted them before hanging them...just ran out of time. So I'll paint the casing in place then carry the individual doors into the garage to be sprayed.

Sub Panel is dedicated to the basement, the Projector has a dedicated circuit. The media room has 3 total circuits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrical - Finished (3).jpg
Views:	493
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	122506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical - Finished (5).jpg
Views:	537
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	122514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical - Finished (1).jpg
Views:	496
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	122522  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #102 of 142 Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. You're making some real progress and it won't be long before you can move in.

redjr...

post #103 of 142 Old 06-22-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Painted the doors this weekend while D worked on finishing the sump pit bench. We managed to get the windows trimmed. So all we need to do now is to rehang the doors, a bit of casing and trim work, then install the baseboards. Then it's on the fun stuff like installing the speakers and hanging the projector.

Rented an airless sprayer (Graco Rental 230) to get a good finish on the doors. Mainly because I didn't want to paint the louvered doors with a brush. Here's a look at my make-shift paint booth. Not bad for a roll of plastic, $7 in PVC, and a roll of tape. Word to the wise, if you build a booth in the garage, cover the garage door sensors so they don't get covered in paint. Also be sure to unplug the garage door opener. The doors turned out really well. Ended up thinning my behr paint at a ratio of 1 cup (measured) per gallon. Ended up using about 2 gallons of paint an opening a third in order to keep the paint level high enough for the sprayer to work.

After the first coat. Was very surprised that spraying goes that quickly. Out of a 4 hour rental, about 20 minutes was actually spent spraying. About an hour for setup/cleanup, and the rest watching paint dry. (Which ironically is a very welcomed treat to someone with a two year old.) Opened the paint booth and put fans on the doors to help drying time. Managed to get 3 coats on the doors in the 4 hour rental window. I don't know if that's good or bad....

Here's a look at the inside of the paint booth during cleanup. "Not only did I manage to paint the doors, but I managed to paint half the garage."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painting Doors (1).jpg
Views:	439
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	131618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting Doors (2).jpg
Views:	450
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	131626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting Doors (7).jpg
Views:	452
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	131634  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-22-2014 at 06:45 PM.
post #104 of 142 Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's some of D's handy work on the bench. THe pictures really don't do it justice. The corners are all 45 degrees, doors open smoothly without touchings walls. Just needs a few coats of paint and some cushions.

Here's the bench open, there's 2 storage sections, an alcove for the power outlet, and the section for the sump pit. We're going to drill holes to serve as handles. That way there's nothing sticking up when someone uses it as a seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painting Doors (9).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	131658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painting Doors (8).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	131666  

I'm confused too.

post #105 of 142 Old 06-26-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good time for some unforeseen expenses.... The upstairs A/C stopped cooling. We had a contractor come out in May to look at it, they charged the freon, rinsed it off outside, and said that should take care of it. One $500 electric bill later I called them again. They came out yesterday and did some troubleshooting. Determined the coil was bad. They came back out today and replaced the coil....which didn't work. So, after a few hours of troubleshooting they discovered that the coil needed a piston which wasn't included in the box. In addition, they also found that the heat sequencer was stuck in the "on" position. Basically, when the A/C kicked on, so did a portion of the heating elements. Which doesn't help cool the house.

The unit is a 4 year old Lennox. Thank goodness the coil was under warranty. We are nice and cool now, but between the electric bill and the repair...out $1150. Ouch...that was my new projector money.

This is the coil that was replaced. Rusted about 2 thirds up both sides.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air Conditioner - Bad Coil (3).jpg
Views:	404
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	136921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Conditioner - Bad Coil (1).jpg
Views:	403
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	136929  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-26-2014 at 01:06 PM.
post #106 of 142 Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally getting to the part of the build that might interest the AVS forum members. Painted the speakers the other night. The circles will go in the ceiling. 2 as rear surrounds, 2 by the bar, 2 by the pool table. Painting speaker grills is a pain. Tried the Preval sprayer with the behr paint...didn't work. Tried a smooth sponge roller, tried a brush, washed of the grill, etc.... Ended up using very very light coats of 50% paint 50% water with a brush. D also recommended using an air blower attachment with an air compressor. I did that but it ended up pushing the paint around.

Front and Center - HD-W80
Rear Speakers - HD-R80
Sub - HD-IWS10A
Pool Table/Bar - MP-R80

Speakers go in tonight. Carpet goes in next Wednesday. Pool Table next Thursday. Baby next Friday? (Born on the 4th of July?) Lots of caulking and touch up painting to do before carpet goes down.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speakers Painted (2).jpg
Views:	413
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	136937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers Painted (1).jpg
Views:	396
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	136945  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 06-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #107 of 142 Old 06-27-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

As usually dj, your space looks very nice and color scheme inviting. I've had the DW contractor in the past couple of days putting up the first and second coat of tape, mud and corner bead. Next week they finish up. Yippee! It's amazing how much better DW looks with just the corner bead and a layer of mud up. The process can hide a lot of flaws in the hanging. Which in my case seemed to be many. While this phase feels like I'm making some serious progress, I realize there's a lot still to do once they are done. Paint, trim, ceiling, cabinets, electrical and split-mini. I'll be off the week after the 4th, so it's going to be 'balls-to-the-wall' that week. I should be able to get a lot done if everything falls into place. - Rick

redjr...

post #108 of 142 Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
As usually dj, your space looks very nice and color scheme inviting. I've had the DW contractor in the past couple of days putting up the first and second coat of tape, mud and corner bead. Next week they finish up. Yippee! It's amazing how much better DW looks with just the corner bead and a layer of mud up. The process can hide a lot of flaws in the hanging. Which in my case seemed to be many. While this phase feels like I'm making some serious progress, I realize there's a lot still to do once they are done. Paint, trim, ceiling, cabinets, electrical and split-mini. I'll be off the week after the 4th, so it's going to be 'balls-to-the-wall' that week. I should be able to get a lot done if everything falls into place. - Rick
Thanks Red. Hanging the drywall definitely makes a big visual impact to the space. Paint is the next one. Stick with it red. The end of the project is on the horizon for you.

I'm confused too.

post #109 of 142 Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was a busy weekend. D and I put in the front speakers, the surrounds, the sub, speakers by the pool table, and speakers over the bar. I left the grills off as there's a toggle switch on the speaker itself to raise/lower some of the frequencies. Since the grills are a pain to remove after the speaker is installed we figure it's best to wait until the audio tuning can be done before finishing them.

We also put up the baseboards, installed the access panels, misc electrical covers, etc....

We put the cabinets together last night. The RTA store needs to update the instructions. The video instructions were great, but some of the parts didn't match the parts in the videos...so that made it a little tougher. Also, they sent a cabinet that had been clearly returned by someone else. One side was chewed up in a few spots. It worked out as this side faces the wine fridge, but I would have been pretty upset if I spent that much money and couldn't use the cabinet.

Here's the screen wall. You can see the cabinet D made to cover the electrical panel.The sub woofer made the doors rattle, so we put a few felt pads on the back of the doors.

Managed to pick up the needed screws and install the bathroom cabinet hardware on lunch today. Also straightened the toilet so it's perpendicular to the wall. (Loosened the two bolts on either side of the bowl, then the toilet pivoted very easily.) Looks much better now. Also replaced the light bulbs in the scones so they match the soft-white of the rest of the basement.

We aren't sure what we are doing with the bar counter yet. Need to put up the screen/projector, but I'll do that after carpet. Have about 10 minutes of touch up painting to do on the ceiling. I think we're finished with the construction portion. Cleanup and tool inventory tonight after work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qtr Round in bathroom.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	143394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Speakers.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	143402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Starting.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	143410  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 07-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #110 of 142 Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec5741 View Post
Also is it possible to get that may speakers and speaker locations out of 2 dual zoned recievers? I am by no means an expert when it comes to that but I was under the impression that you were limited on your second zone. Again I'm sorry if I'm wrong or missunderstanding your diagram.

Build is looking good BTW!
Hi Gec - Wanted to clarify now that the setup is up and running. The basement speakers are all powered off one receiver. Currently they are running off the old yamaha. The 5.1 setup in the movie area is setup as normal (LF, RF, LR, RR, Sub, center to be installed in the next week). The 2 speakers by the bar and two speakers by the pool table are connected to a speaker selector and can be turned on/off independently. The "B" speaker terminals on the Yamaha receiver go to the input on the speaker selector. So, right now all 8 speakers and the sub can be on at the same time. Pretty cool to listen to clear music all over the place without having to turn the volume up too high. Happy to take pictures of the connections if you are interested.

I'm confused too.

post #111 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

WooHoooo! The tools are out of the basement! Just a few paint brushes and what's needed to hang the screen and projector. Expecting the carpet guys to be here in the next hour. Just in time too. My wife's doctor says the baby will most likely be here this weekend.

Here's the final lap of the main area before carpet.

Standing by the bench and looking at the screen wall....

Standing by the screen wall and looking at the bench....

Standing in the play area and looking at the back bar....

Another shot of the bar area....

Standing by the fridge looking at the entryway to the basement....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before Carpet (4).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	145402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Carpet (3).jpg
Views:	337
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	145410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Carpet (2).jpg
Views:	328
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	145418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Carpet (1).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	145426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Carpet (5).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	145434  

I'm confused too.

post #112 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any suggestions on a remote control? We have a Harmony One upstairs and love it. Unfortunately they were discontinued. Have an IR repeater system, so it doesn't need to be RF.

Thanks!

I'm confused too.

post #113 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carpet being installed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carpet - Being Installed (1).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	145521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet - Being Installed (2).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	145529  

I'm confused too.

post #114 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, the basement looks fantastic! I can't believe how fast you got through this project.

post #115 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now it's on to tile in the bathroom....We went with the Messa Beige 9 X 12 tiles for the bathroom. Going to have a basic subway pattern. BTW, the bathroom is sky blue. Should look good with the beige tiles, dark brown vanity, beige vanity top, and white trim work.

Washed the bathroom floor with tsp last night and put a blower on it over night. D is coming by today to seal it with RedGuard. With any luck we'll be laying tile tomorrow afternoon/evening as time and work permits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBalwinski View Post
Wow, the basement looks fantastic! I can't believe how fast you got through this project.
+1

redjr...

post #116 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBalwinski View Post
Thanks RB and Red. We've been blessed with some very handy/retired family members, saved up our budget before starting the project, and my wife amazes me every day taking care of our daughter.

We did the dining room last year. Took me about 7 months because it was all cosmetic and I wanted to do everything I could one my own to learn. (Same folks did help with parts of that too though.) With the basement, the goal was to do simply get it done. As D always says..."Many hands make light work."

I have learned a ton through the process: There are many ways to accomplish the same thing, pick your battles, plan, measure twice....cut....cut...cut....measure....cut cut...., he who measures does the cutting, cleanup is important after a working session, it is possible to get sick of pizza, building codes are your friend, factory refurbished electronics are cheaper than new, no matter how careful you are you will have touch up painting to do, louder != right, wear safety gear, make sure it's level, hire someone to tape/mud, use the right tool for the job, 3/4/5 square is not always 9/16/25 square even though it's close, there is no such things as perfect, take a break every once a while, a two year old's opinion is important, do it right the first time...or fix it right away, if it cost $1000 for the cr@ppy one and $1200 for the one you really want...then the good one only cost $200 in terms of your budget, use a great lumber yard, research before spending money, let go at the right time, don't startle the person using the tool, use a drywall jack on ceilings, say thanks....a lot.
RBalwinski likes this.

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 07-02-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #117 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Hi Gec - Wanted to clarify now that the setup is up and running. The basement speakers are all powered off one receiver. Currently they are running off the old yamaha. The 5.1 setup in the movie area is setup as normal (LF, RF, LR, RR, Sub, center to be installed in the next week). The 2 speakers by the bar and two speakers by the pool table are connected to a speaker selector and can be turned on/off independently. The "B" speaker terminals on the Yamaha receiver go to the input on the speaker selector. So, right now all 8 speakers and the sub can be on at the same time. Pretty cool to listen to clear music all over the place without having to turn the volume up too high. Happy to take pictures of the connections if you are interested.

Hmmm yes I would love to see some pictures of how you have your speakers setup. I need to figure out how I'm going to be setting my systems up. I currently have a 5.1 yamaha receiver running 4 speakers that are in my main area that will eventually have a bar. I have my "jukebox" setup to it as well as it connected to my network for pandora. I will be purchasing a new 7.2 receiver for the actual media room eventually. I'm running a chase out to the back yard so in the future I can get speaker wire out there from my utility room where both these recievers are/will be installed. So I'm hoping to somehow tap off of one of these receivers in some way so I can easily switch over to some outside speakers and control with my android or IOS phone or device. I'm just a bit fuzzy on how that could work. I really don't want to end up with a 3rd receiver and would think there would be a way to avoid that.

thanks and btw your basement looks amazing! Nice work!
post #118 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So here's the stereo setup as it is today. My media rack is a storage shelf from Costco. Really don't need anything fancy as I don't show off the storage room in the house tour. It's about 2 feet off the wall so I have easy access to the front controls and the wires on the back. I apologize for the dust on the components and the blurry picture. Storage/media room has yet to be cleaned after construction. Have every intention of cleaning up the wires when I have "time". Also realized I "spelt" independently incorrectly in the last picture.

I hope this helps.... The key driver is that the Yamaha has outputs for both A and B speakers. The A and B speakers can be turned on/off independently.

I'm in the market for a networked remote control speaker selector. Have yet to find one, but haven't looked that hard at this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stereo Setup (1).jpg
Views:	331
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	145681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo Setup (3).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	145689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo_Setup_Front_Labelled.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	145697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo Setup (2).jpg
Views:	318
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	145705  

I'm confused too.

Last edited by djearl81; 07-02-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: I edit posts all the time...random thoughts
post #119 of 142 Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The carpet guys are finished. Did a great job.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carpet - Finished (4).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	145713  

I'm confused too.

post #120 of 142 Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Happy Pool Table Day - The guys from Cue and Cushion came by today to put the pool table back together. We bought the pool table from them about 10 years ago. Anytime we've needed anything they've been great. They were particularly happy to show off their new slate dolly. They talked about taking pictures, so I asked if they'd pose and they were happy to do so. The dolly turns the slate into the lever. They attached the wheels, then the top. Voila, easy to move around the slate.

Putting the table together....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pool Table Install (4).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	146762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pool Table Install (2).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	146770  

I'm confused too.