Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #271 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I've found that when I'm running a super flat curve I like to run the bass quite a bit more hot than usual...for me this level is at least +12-15DB.

Glad that you're having fun with the experiment. I'd also be curious to see what you thought with stacks of four on each side....and a couple nearfield.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
OH HECK YES

DAFT PUNK AT REFERNCE WITH THE SUBS LIKE 15 dB HOT AND NEARFIELD MAKES IT ALL WORTHWHILE! BEST I'VE EVER HEARD THIS SONG!
THIS ONE SONG COULD ALMOST WASH AWAY ANY DOUBTS.........HOLY CRAP THIS IS GOOD!

I think my door to my storage room/baffle wall area is going to fall off the hinges...gotta get that straightened out!
Wow guys, burning the candle last night eh?!?! Jon must have the house to himself this week....So do I

What are your thoughts right now on the nearfield? I am so ready to get this box done and behind my seat it is killing me. Too many other household projects in the way for the next couple nights.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #273 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'll also add that all the subs in a row in the front probably isn't the best. I'd have two stacks of 3 on each side of the screen plus the 2 near-field drivers.

When I've stacked drivers, the response from each in the stack is shockingly close to the others, most of the time within 1db.

Stacking vertically definitely get my vote!

post #274 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Wow guys, burning the candle last night eh?!?! Jon must have the house to himself this week....So do I

What are your thoughts right now on the nearfield? I am so ready to get this box done and behind my seat it is killing me. Too many other household projects in the way for the next couple nights.
Yeah, I've been thinking about nearfield too - even though I posted recently that I was done with upgrades. It's tempting since other guys that have concrete floors love the results like Andrew, Luke, and now Jonathan. I have a small taste of what it's like with the MBM 12 behind me, but it only plays down to 50hz and honestly I find it distracting for movies. For music when I really crank the volume I like to use it for some extra chest punch feel but at low and normal volumes I don't like using it much.

I fell asleep around 4:30 last night, got up at 5:30. Haven't hit the wall yet but it's coming - I had the house to myself last night too.

post #275 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I'll also add that all the subs in a row in the front probably isn't the best. I'd have two stacks of 3 on each side of the screen plus the 2 near-field drivers.

When I've stacked drivers, the response from each in the stack is shockingly close to the others, most of the time within 1db.

Stacking vertically definitely get my vote!
Yep ^ this is exactly how it went in my room, each sub measured the same in the stack. Stacking gave a much more similar response throughout the room then having the subs setup like Jonathan has them now.

post #276 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Quote:

Yeah, I've been thinking about nearfield too - even though I posted recently that I was done with upgrades. It's tempting since other guys that have concrete floors love the results like Andrew, Luke, and now Jonathan. I have a small taste of what it's like with the MBM 12 behind me, but it only plays down to 50hz and honestly I find it distracting for movies. For music when I really crank the volume I like to use it for some extra chest punch feel but at low and normal volumes I don't like using it much.

I fell asleep around 4:30 last night, got up at 5:30. Haven't hit the wall yet but it's coming - I had the house to myself last night too.
Guess my demo was just a novelty for ya...lol.

Crawson's arent giving you what you want?!?!
post #277 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 666
I can't stack these subs if I have any intent to ever use them unstacked. The woof finish would mar in no time with the sub vibration and weight on top of each other...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #278 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
I can't stack these subs if I have any intent to ever use them unstacked. The woof finish would mar in no time with the sub vibration and weight on top of each other...
http://www.target.com/p/mohawk-home-...FUVo7AodqSkAkg
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #279 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #280 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those things stain a pattern on a wooden floor with time.

Ask me how I know.

Might/would probably do the same to the cabs???....

Last edited by Archaea; 08-26-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #281 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Those things stain a pattern on a wooden floor with time.

Ask me how I know.

Might/would probably do the same to the cabs....
http://www.foambymail.com/NE/neoprene-foam-sheets.html

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #282 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
hadn't considered that.

will.

hmmmmm... Pieces of thick mousepad?

Acutally - most likely if I'm going to stack them I'm going to sell these cabs and build a big low tuned ported floor to ceiling box, or comission d_c to build me some ghorn cabs that I can cut the mouths into my baffle wall...but enough of that type of thinking...for now.

post #283 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Bass Enabler

It's what is used in commercial sound and cinemas to dampen the vibration made by cinema loudspeakers.

I think it's the right way to go for such an application.

I'm using it between all my new speakers and subs. Anywhere a cab is touching another is a layer of that. Works great.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #284 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

You know how they say that clean-distortion free SPL sounds quieter than SPL with added harmonics... I bet if you were to measure the Caps and UM at reference seperately, the UM would sound subjectively quieter.
I was thinking the same thing. When I switched from ported 15s to sealed LMS-U, I was underwhelmed. They measured much better, but sounded different enough that it took some getting used to.
post #285 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When I switched from ported 15s to sealed LMS-U, I was underwhelmed. They measured much better, but sounded different enough that it took some getting used to.
I think a lot of people feel that way about flat response as well. I hear all the time that they do not like flat response and bump up the mid-bass area.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #286 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Or maybe it's the reverse -- you know a properly designed and capable ported alignment has LESSSSSSSSSSSS disortion around port tune than the sealed.

chew on that.

post #287 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Bass Enabler

Good luck with that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #288 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Guess my demo was just a novelty for ya...lol.

Crawson's arent giving you what you want?!?!

Hahaha, ahhhh shite. I knew I was forgetting something when I posted that, my brain is very foggy today.

The ultimate near-field setup!!

The Crowson is awesome. It can completely recreate low bass as far as the feel. However, it cannot give you exact same chest punch. It actually comes close though, it can fool me into really feeling like the bass is punchy for music when I have it crossed over really high.

post #289 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You were to excited about getting back to the classroom to sleep. The molding of young minds.
carp likes this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #290 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 02:15 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Or maybe it's the reverse -- you know a properly designed and capable ported alignment has LESSSSSSSSSSSS disortion around port tune than the sealed.

chew on that.
You have nailed it dead on! 4 ported dual UM18 would be the ticket here!

Double stacking the sealed boxes to 4 groups at 1/4 points in the front of the room would be a good start too.
post #291 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Looking forward to tomorrow morning so I can read about the results of another all nighter
post #292 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Placebo is a powerful traitor.

post #293 of 513 Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Placebo is a powerful traitor.
Sounds like someone is falling for the new girl in town...
post #294 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Don't leave us hanging

post #295 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Don't leave us hanging
Give him time to come to terms with it Luke...

The first time one tunes in full bandwidth playback to perfection can be overwhelming.
post #296 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Yup.

Give it time. It's a big adjustment.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #297 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM
The Truth Hz

I feel like this is an intervention thread....

post #298 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Bass Enabler

That's because it sort of is.

This only works when Jonathan is ready.
popalock likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #299 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Perhaps he collapsed in excitement from the last listening session?
popalock likes this.

post #300 of 513 Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hhaha...I wanted to let that comment stew for a while. It was in relation to my Sherbourn 7-350 vs. Crown XLS 202 thought process.

I've compared several amps A/B (level matched quick switching) before on two occassions and readily admit I can't tell the difference (though the amps compared were not my Sherbourn vs. my Crown).
I sold my Sherbourn 7-350 yesterday, and installed a spare Crown XLS-202 in its place for L/R and listened to some stereo music for an hour or so last night.

I felt the Crown sounded crappier during my session than I'm used to with the Sherbourn - which must be nonsense.

That's why I said placebo is a powerful traitor. Even having tested like I have with amps - I still felt I downgraded when I actually swapped out the amps.
My listening session was no where near reference, and no where near taxing the amp. The loudest I got was -5dB. --- So I would have been using exceptionally minimal watts with my JTR 228HT and their 98dB sensitivity. Even bias known is difficult to shake when you go from an expensive component to an inexpensive one.

I don't have anything new to add on the subs except that I expected to like music better with the sealed and movies better or basically equal with the ported.

What I'm finding is I actually like music better with the caps and movies better with the sealed in my room with the stuff I've tried so far. Irony. Call me HuskerOmaha.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page