Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #91 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I am jealous of Archaea's new digs....perhaps he will trade for a townhouse in the DC area (only 40 miles, which is 2 hours on a good day).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
carp - you know you could easily put a similar rack into your wall where your shelfs are now. Not that you need it - but it is definately something you could do if you like the look.

Use the search term 19" rack in Craigslist to see what's avail. That's how KCNitro07 and I bought ours.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/search/?sort=rel&areaID=30&subAreaID=&query=19%22+rack&catAbb=sss

If you want new - you can find them on Amazon - Middle Atlantic is one popular seller. Mine is a Cooper. They are pretty pricey new.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #93 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

I am jealous of Archaea's new digs....perhaps he will trade for a townhouse in the DC area (only 40 miles, which is 2 hours on a good day).
That is a long commute back to KC - with or without traffic. tongue.gif

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #94 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a lot of IT jobs here....quality of life probably takes a hit though.

post #95 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

carp - you know you could easily put a similar rack into your wall where your shelfs are now. Not that you need it - but it is definately something you could do if you like the look.

Use the search term 19" rack in Craigslist to see what's avail. That's how KCNitro07 and I bought ours.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/search/?sort=rel&areaID=30&subAreaID=&query=19%22+rack&catAbb=sss

If you want new - you can find them on Amazon - Middle Atlantic is one popular seller. Mine is a Cooper. They are pretty pricey new.

It seems you don't know me at all. ^ biggrin.gif

However I would attempt it if I didn't have the closet. It doesn't look nearly as sharp though....
post #96 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll help you if you like! There is no way your storage room wall is load bearing and your cuttout wouldn't be in a corner so it'll be a couple hour job from beginning to end.

You find an enclosed rack you like and I'll come over to help you install it with my tools.

Tatersly has better tools (being that carpentry is his trade), but I have adequate enough tools to get the job done and knowing your wall - there are no concerns about the corner/structure issues where your shelfs currently are.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #97 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm I was just thinking how it will be tough to get to my gear in my closet when the 215's get here since they take up so much space. If that's a problem I may have to do it...
post #98 of 805 Old 06-02-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Didn't know you had a thread going...awesome progress and I love what you're doing with the space. Wish I could see it soon but unfortunately out trip to KC got cancelled. Will be down soon though and would love to see it.

Subscribed!!!
post #99 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Lookin good. So close. The rack is awesome.
post #100 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That aerosal adhesive spray is nasty stuff. The overspray goes everywhere and hangs in the room like a cloud. I've determined the spray adhesive doesn't even work till you spray it down quite liberally. It seems like I've got a handle on it now but those 3" foam pieces kept popping off for a while. Everytime I'd go downstairs there'd be 2 more on the floor that popped off on their own. I'd spray again and stick it. If you don't do it thick you might as well not even do it apparently. I'm using the general purpose and the medium duty locktite adhesive spray.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54193-69-1712314_0__?productId=4634593&Ntt=locktite&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlocktite&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_275900-69-1713065_0__?productId=4595333&Ntt=locktite&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlocktite%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

What's weird about it is that those foam pieces weigh like nothing but they still don't stay on as easy as you'd think. If I was to do that again I'd buy some sort of paint on adhesive, but the paint on rubber cement sold at lowes specifically said not for use on polyurethene foam and so it was not an option. I'd still recommend looking for something else for adhesive use inside.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #101 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Looks great!

I've never seen anyone as good as Carp at getting friends to volunteer to help him out. biggrin.gif He acts like he can't do it or the task is somehow just a little to difficult.
Quote:
Carp - "My new show shovel doesn't seem to work well with the type of snow we just got. Also, 3" is a lot of snow. Probably take hours to shovel."

Archaea - "I think you have a better shovel than me. You just have to learn how to hold it right. I'll come over. I bet I can shovel it in 20 minutes."

3M Super 77 is what I use for spray adhesive. dlbeck used it on his acoustic foam, I believe. It works great and is easy to use with no (or little) overspray.

Archaea likes this.
post #102 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Checking flights now and with the wife tonight. smile.gif

Shut down. ;( That is our anniversary weekend and apparently the wife has plans for us on Saturday.
post #103 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Looks great!

I've never seen anyone as good as Carp at getting friends to volunteer to help him out. biggrin.gif He acts like he can't do it or the task is somehow just a little to difficult.
3M Super 77 is what I use for spray adhesive. dlbeck used it on his acoustic foam, I believe. It works great and is easy to use with no (or little) overspray.

Spit soda on my keyboard..

post #104 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Looks great!

biggrin.gif
chirpie likes this.
post #105 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #106 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

That aerosal adhesive spray is nasty stuff. The overspray goes everywhere and hangs in the room like a cloud. I've determined the spray adhesive doesn't even work till you spray it down quite liberally. It seems like I've got a handle on it now but those 3" foam pieces kept popping off for a while. Everytime I'd go downstairs there'd be 2 more on the floor that popped off on their own. I'd spray again and stick it. If you don't do it thick you might as well not even do it apparently. I'm using the general purpose and the medium duty locktite adhesive spray.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54193-69-1712314_0__?productId=4634593&Ntt=locktite&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlocktite&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_275900-69-1713065_0__?productId=4595333&Ntt=locktite&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlocktite%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

What's weird about it is that those foam pieces weigh like nothing but they still don't stay on as easy as you'd think. If I was to do that again I'd buy some sort of paint on adhesive, but the paint on rubber cement sold at lowes specifically said not for use on polyurethene foam and so it was not an option. I'd still recommend looking for something else for adhesive use inside.

Try Loctite PL or something similar. That's what I used for my baffle wall and it worked great.
post #107 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hahah...these last few posts made me laugh out loud at work. Nice joke Michael, Nice reply Sheldon.

funny - -- - except the post where Andrew said he isn't coming for the Savoy opening and a KC visit...BOOOOO.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #108 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

DD - I used the spray adhesive applying the Kraft paper to the 4" OC703. I think it worked well to reflect the higher frequencies while absorbing some of the upper bass. Another recommendation from Nyal.
post #109 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

post #110 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

LMAO!

Stitch sent me a funny one yesterday through text message. Said it was carp and I.
asoofi1 likes this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #111 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, another friend of mine recently showed me that clip. I'm the dude in the glasses for sure but substitute metal for dubstep. biggrin.gif

"What is that..........is that music?!?!?!?!?"
post #112 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Also I have about 70lbs of Kraft paper left if you want some smile.gif
Toilet paper for the Open House?
post #113 of 805 Old 06-03-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I TP'd a few houses back in the day, Archaea watch out. I may just drive 18 hrs to relive junior high.

post #114 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought some black velvet from JoAnns to place over the top of the wood paneling right below the speakers. Megan is going to sew it into a long mask to tack to the wall so the wood doesn't reflect light back through the AT screen at the bottom of the screen. The velvet will be hidden behind the screen.

Reefdvr messaged me and asked if I was selling the 228HT because he wasn't seeing them in my pics.

no way - I was just playing with the Mackies for a short while. Are the JTR 228HT worth nearly 8x's more money than the Mackie C200. Well that's a perspective question - but to me yes. The JTR 228HT are right up there near the very pinnacle of anything I've ever heard. The Mackie sound great for the money, but are no where near the best I've heard --- at least for stereo 2 channel use. Oddly, they sound amazing in all channel stereo with nine playing or for movie use, - much better than much more expensive speakers in even some dedicated home theaters I've visited with speaker that cost many many times as much. But drop them to stereo mode and they leave something to be desired (to me anyway). Excellent when played in a group, mediocre when played in a pair. It's a strange equation I'm sure, but the people who have heard them feel the exact same way. The oustanding question is why do you need to play in 2 channel stereo? If they sound awesome in all channel and meh in 2 channel - just use all channel right? perhaps!

Anyway - I put the JTR 228HT back in their new home last night, and hooked up the JTR Captivator subs. Before doing so I tried to change the center speaker's horn orientation to match the fact that it would now be placed vertically instead of horizontally like the old house. It has a 60* x 40* pattern and you are supposed to rotate the horn so the wider dispersion of 60 degress is on the horizontal plane. However, when I took the 228HT horn out I realized it was already setup correctly for vertical use - meaning my request to have it built for horizontal use at my old house was missed and I was using a 40* horizontal spread from the center at my old house and 60* was spraying on my tile floor and drywall ceiling. rolleyes.gif ha. I didn't even know it. Looking at it you can't tell - even looking at it closely - so I thought to use a dixie cup bottom to determine which dimmension was elgongated. That worked fine and I could see which opposing sides were the 60* angle with the dixe cup bottom in the horn mouth.

I was soo tired yesterday I didn't even want to swap out the speaker wires (speakon to bananna clips) after I hooked up the JTR so after just listening to the rear channels with the JTR subs, I just went to bed. Today is one of those days where I just have zero energy for some reason and I don't even know why. It started last night. Too many late nights in a row is my only guess.

One thing I know for sure...I don't need any more bass than those two JTR Captivators. So why in the world am I buying eight sealed again? I need a head doctor to examine my raging addiction to this hobby. I'd be better off to sell the eight sealed cabs and the iNuke amps and walk away - and I'm considering it. The Caps are incredibly effective in my new room, despite the room being larger than my last room. It's excessive stupidity to go after more...

I need to cut out a hole in the front wall for the subwoofer wires, but will wait until I fine tune subwoofer placement - so right now wires are just on the floor.

Cruddy blackberry cell phone pics of the JTR 228HT in their new homes:

Left

Center

Right

perspective from seat...

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #115 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried all channel stereo, it's been awhile. The soundtage becomes incoherent. Where is the singer, where is the drummer, the guitarist, etc.? The instruments seem to be everywhere and nowhere. In 2 channel you close your eyes and it's all laid out in front of you (and depending on the recording, can seem to be all around you). Well as long as you are in the sweet spot. wink.giftongue.gif

Nevermind all that though, I'm very curious what the 9 Macke's sound like in your room since both you and Tim have very good things to say.

What are your impressions of the Macke's as surounds with the 228 front 3 for movies? Have you had time to try that much yet?
post #116 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, and that baffle wall looks absolutely bad-a$$ man, well done. smile.gif
post #117 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Perhaps its the difference between all matching speakers like swolephile says.

I liked it when I had all wharfedales and I like it with all mackies. When I've had a hodgepodge of speakers I didn't much care for it. I really think you will dig it with all nine mackies.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #118 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm really starting to hate my surrounds.... that could be the problem too. I really wish I hadn't moved 2 of them up to the front of the room to try stereo out on them.
post #119 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 240
It looks nice as it is. Will look even better once the velvet is on place. Also, velvet absolutely eats up any light, it will be a VERY dark screen wall. smile.gif

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #120 of 805 Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
d_c
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I'm not a fan of 2ch stereo either, or all channel. It just sounds flat. I'm with you about more sounds better though. I usually listen to neo studio, but have been listening to thx for music some too, along with dolby ex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page