post #121 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

I'm not a fan of 2ch stereo either, or all channel. It just sounds flat. I'm with you about more sounds better though. I usually listen to neo studio, but have been listening to thx for music some too, along with dolby ex.

You might fall in love with 2 channel when you get those mains built! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Yeah, we'll see... I'll keep an open mind!

Archaea - how many watts are you feeding the mains and the new surrounds? What amps to where?

post #123 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Prolly like 1/2 a watt to the 228HT per channel peaks at -10dB from reference. And likely as much as 1 watt to the mackies at the same volume.

It's not really the utmost model of efficiency because the Sherbourn 7-350 amp I use draws about 100 watts just being switched on.

The remaining two front wide channels are driven by a crown xls-202.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #124 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

I'm trying to figure out what to use for my front heights. All I have is a couple of spare ep4000 and that would be way overkill for the Volt v-8

post #125 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought my crown xls-202 for $125 off craigslist. Its 200 watts per channel. My opinion on amps is most any will do just about as good as the other. Just look for something reliable and inexpensive IMO. A lower wattage pro amp of any of the decent brands fits the bill

post #126 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a couple options
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/4500544420.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/4497249852.html

post #127 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

One thing I know for sure...I don't need any more bass than those two JTR Captivators.

that's a lie and you know it biggrin.gif

New space is looking very nice

post #128 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm many things. A intentional lier is not one. The two caps are bonkers.

I need to do some compression sweeps with my caps.

Adam are you considering coming up for the savoy opening? Reef is coming. Its gonna be a blast!

post #129 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

When is it?
I'm currently in Taiwan

post #130 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

June 28
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498786/the-savoy#post_23929566

post #131 of 534 Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

that does look like it will be an insane time. Might be tough for me as its only 4 days after I get back from vacation

post #132 of 534 Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The room looks really nice, Archaea. But what I am hearing you say is you need to sell off a bunch of stuff. haha like the pre-pro setup, the extra subs and boxes, amps, and who knows what else. It's time to simplify and come out money ahead. tongue.gif A normal receiver and just your caps is all you really need. You could have a coming back to sanity sale. Carp could use some sanity too before the Iowa trip. eek.gif But that’s another story. Then again I’m the guy with 7 year old stuff that needs to make some upgrades. redface.gif

post #133 of 534 Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha -

yes - pretty much Tim!

I do think I've surpassed reasonable on some things in this hobby. If I could be so bold as to counter three typically recommended pursuits in this hobby and perhaps save someone else some $..
1) don't spend too much money on amps, you'll not likely be able to tell in a blind test the difference between and AVR and a audiophile amp. (assuming the use of high sensitivity speakers)
2) Mid tier AVRs are where it's at. You gain little performance in the top level pre-amps or AVRs as compared to a mid tier AVR as far as the things you can actually tell a difference in. My Onkyo TX-NR1007 was excellent. My Onkyo PR-SC5508 and Sherbourn 7-350 are also excellent! Could my ears tell you the difference? Probably not. However, my wallet could.
3) Don't worry too much about chasing the lowest subsonic frequencies - the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Go for low distortion, multiple subwoofers, and reach the SPL level's you want, and then forget about being flat to 5 or 10hz.

post #134 of 534 Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally stood up the projector screen tonight after the work to see how it all looks!

WOW

What a difference that made in my contrast levels - going from a white celling to a dark one. It's a night and day difference! The Panasonic AE8000U really looks its best now!

My wife sewed some strips of velvet together and we tacked it onto the bottom of the AT screen so the front wall's wood trim would be covered where the bottom of the screen would otherwise be reflecting light from the wood.

I can't believe how good my image looks at this size. It made me giddy all night as I was watching demos!

Bass isn't rattling the drop ceiling now at my normal listening volumes at all - and it was super annoying before the work!

Here are some pictures from tonight using my wife's camera for a change instead of my cruddy cell phone camera! I'm really looking forward to having some of the local enthusiasts over to take a look/listen!

Scott Simonian and hltr like this.

post #135 of 534 Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Your room is looking so good, can't wait to check it out. So cool that your projector looks much better!! I have been meaning to ask you, can you tell any audio improvement from going to the baffle wall?

post #136 of 534 Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Didn't realize you had a build thread going Archaea! I spend most of my time on AVS over in the dedicated thread and just jumped over here this evening and had to read it from the start. Your room is looking great!

post #137 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Looks amazing archaea. Can't wait to see it.

post #138 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sweet room. There looks to be plenty of room under the screen for more subs...even if you didn't use your sealed boxes you could do a couple of martys under there. They should match well with your Caps.
post #139 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Plenty of room for more subs. He is right....it's a sickness....there's always a little voice whispering in your ear "you need more subs...you need more subs." And it doesn't ever, ever stop. Even popalock and Rhed are still hearing the voice smile.gif

post #140 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WHat are your thoughts on putting your subs in the wall like you did your front three? You could use GOM or somthing to cover them. Just a thought. The room looks great! Can't wait to see how much better the projector looks now after all your work.

post #141 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 08:27 AM
d_c
Advanced Member

I agree with stitch1, but it looks great

post #142 of 534 Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I didn't know about this thread until I saw you post about it in another thread. Now I need to go through it.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #143 of 534 Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow nice archaea
post #144 of 534 Old 06-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I finally stood up the projector screen tonight after the work to see how it all looks!

WOW

What a difference that made in my contrast levels - going from a white celling to a dark one. It's a night and day difference! The Panasonic AE8000U really looks its best now!

My wife sewed some strips of velvet together and we tacked it onto the bottom of the AT screen so the front wall's wood trim would be covered where the bottom of the screen would otherwise be reflecting light from the wood.

I can't believe how good my image looks at this size. It made me giddy all night as I was watching demos!

Bass isn't rattling the drop ceiling now at my normal listening volumes at all - and it was super annoying before the work!

Here are some pictures from tonight using my wife's camera for a change instead of my cruddy cell phone camera! I'm really looking forward to having some of the local enthusiasts over to take a look/listen!

Very nice!!!! I like the clean look of the dual Caps up fro t.
Archaea likes this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #145 of 534 Old 06-08-2014, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Looks fantastic Jonathan! So going all black on the ceiling is worthwhile? Should I go for it?

post #146 of 534 Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Andrew,

Absolutely! The certainteed theater black f ceiling tiles look fantastic. Both my wife and I agree it looks better in person than in the pictures. For their sound absorbing capabilities (NRC .75) and their light reflection control (3%) I highly recommend them. Its a big advancement for the projector picture too. Do you have pink fluffy in between your ceiling floor joists now? That helps too. I used r30 unfaced pink fluffy (9.5" x 15") for the effect of an entire ceiling of bass trap. The ideas compliments of Craig John and his room's ceiling. He used certainteed capul open floor plan tiles which have identical light reflectivity, and have a black nubby texture. They make these tiles in several thicknesses. The fiberglass material that composes the tile reminds me of oc703 in texture and yellow color.

post #147 of 534 Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Looks amazing. Look forward to the feedback once it's up and running. Inspiring ideas for my place.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #148 of 534 Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Looking good Jon !!

I'm curious how the 228's sound behind the screen? Do you find they are being held back a bit?

The acoustic tiles look great. Where did you get them? You may have mentioned this, but I just skimmed through the last couple of pics.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #149 of 534 Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reef,

Post # 53 has the info you need on the ceiling tiles...
Archaea's multi-purpose Home Theater room

As to the baffle wall effect on the 228HT. I don't notice and extreme difference personally. The overall treatments in the room make a pretty dramatic difference to me and being that I basically did it all at once with not a whole lot of time spent listening to music/movies with the speakers in the process I can't really say. Carp brought his eD Cinema 6 surround speakers over to hear in the baffle wall and he stated they sounded significantly better in my room in the baffle wall than in his own room without a baffle wall. That means a whole lot of nothing because of all the room and audio memory variables - but FWIW Sheldon said he liked the baffle and thought it was a positive thing.

I do like the baffle wall for the additional treatment behind screen function and of course the L/C/R speaker behind acoustic transparent screen function. Is it an absolute must have? no... The JTR's sounded really good in my old room without a baffle wall and the center placed below my old 16x9 non AT projector screen too! But the baffle wall and AT screen are a positive upgrade IMO.

Last edited by Archaea; 06-13-2014 at 03:28 PM.
post #150 of 534 Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I

LOVE

your theater!!!

Wow, wow, wow!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page