Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 651 Old 06-19-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Question.....How does the carpet impact the sound compare to the tile floors you had at your last house?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #153 of 651 Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I went to Jonathan's last week to check out his room. The amount of changes he has made since the last time I was there are very impressive! The picture quality improvement from the 8350 is obvious even to me, a non videophile.

I also think the baffle wall is a impressive upgrade (although it could be the treatments he has done), I brought over 2 of my surrounds (elemental designs Cinema 6's) and with the speakers in the baffle wall I thought the sound was way better than what I heard in my room when I tried the eD's up front as mains. In fact, I preferred the eD's to the Macke's head to head for 2 channel stereo. The Macke's have a "echo" sound to them, like some kind of receiver dsp setting (concert hall or whatever but not that pronounced, it's very slight). Off axis the Macke's are much better than my eD's however, so as surrounds I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Jonathan has said for a long time that the Macke's sound great with all of them going in all channel stereo. Well, I agree. Jonathan's Onkyo must do all channel stereo different than my avr. With mine, you lose the soundstage it just sounds like all sounds are coming from everywhere and nowhere. At Jonathan's you still have this great up front soundstage, singer in the middle, etc. and just a nice full sound around you without it being obvious that the surrounds are on.

With all the Macke's going I didn't hear the echo sound that I heard in 2 channels that I didn't like.

We watched parts of Gravity in 3D and the effect was awesome - loved it. However, we watched Men in Black 3 and it was just ok, in fact I think I would have preferred the 2D.

I never did get a chance to hear the 228's in the baffle wall, I'm very curious what that sounds like.

The screen is awesome - looks massive but crystal clear at the same time. Is AT all it's cracked up to be? Well, I've now experienced a LOT of AT setups and honestly the only difference to me is when I'm fully reclined in the chair with my feet up. When I'm sitting like this in my room I can tell my center doesn't sound great and sometimes it's harder to understand speech. However, when I'm sitting upright in my room I can't tell the difference between my setup and AT. The problem is I ALWAYS watch movies in the reclined position so......

Bottom line, awesome room man and still getting better!
hltr likes this.
post #154 of 651 Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

carp.... That is a good thing that you cant tell a difference between AT and non AT. So does this mean that you might get an AT screen now?
post #155 of 651 Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I went to Jonathan's last week to check out his room. The amount of changes he has made since the last time I was there are very impressive! The picture quality improvement from the 8350 is obvious even to me, a non videophile.

I also think the baffle wall is a impressive upgrade (although it could be the treatments he has done), I brought over 2 of my surrounds (elemental designs Cinema 6's) and with the speakers in the baffle wall I thought the sound was way better than what I heard in my room when I tried the eD's up front as mains. In fact, I preferred the eD's to the Macke's head to head for 2 channel stereo. The Macke's have a "echo" sound to them, like some kind of receiver dsp setting (concert hall or whatever but not that pronounced, it's very slight). Off axis the Macke's are much better than my eD's however, so as surrounds I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Jonathan has said for a long time that the Macke's sound great with all of them going in all channel stereo. Well, I agree. Jonathan's Onkyo must do all channel stereo different than my avr. With mine, you lose the soundstage it just sounds like all sounds are coming from everywhere and nowhere. At Jonathan's you still have this great up front soundstage, singer in the middle, etc. and just a nice full sound around you without it being obvious that the surrounds are on.

With all the Macke's going I didn't hear the echo sound that I heard in 2 channels that I didn't like.

We watched parts of Gravity in 3D and the effect was awesome - loved it. However, we watched Men in Black 3 and it was just ok, in fact I think I would have preferred the 2D.

I never did get a chance to hear the 228's in the baffle wall, I'm very curious what that sounds like.

The screen is awesome - looks massive but crystal clear at the same time. Is AT all it's cracked up to be? Well, I've now experienced a LOT of AT setups and honestly the only difference to me is when I'm fully reclined in the chair with my feet up. When I'm sitting like this in my room I can tell my center doesn't sound great and sometimes it's harder to understand speech. However, when I'm sitting upright in my room I can't tell the difference between my setup and AT. The problem is I ALWAYS watch movies in the reclined position so......

Onkyo is the only brand other then yamaha where the all channel mode sounds good to me.
post #156 of 651 Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Have you tried Denon? Theirs sounds the same as Onkyo's to me.
post #157 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought there was a blind avr shootout and people could not tell the difference between different brands?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #158 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 916
If anyone knows of the shootout Pain Infliction is referring to I would like to read it.

KC group did an amp comparison that no one could tell the difference in, but the processor comparison/Audyssey vs. MACC, vs YAPO, vs Trinnov comparison is still a future plan.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #159 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Sheldon.
I agree with everything you said. I think baffle walls/AT screens are perhaps are a minor (but more than slight) improvement. Not sure they are worth tearing apart a room or building in - unless you to do unless you already have an easy way to implement like I did. It's not like I couldn't tolerate a non AT screen now that I have an AT screen. It's nice to have the center dialogue come from directly behind the screen, but the Left/Right to me don't really matter if they are directly behind the screen. AVR processing is so good these days with 5.1 and 7.1 tracks that I think as long as your speaker distances are set correctly - you have some generous flexibility as to the placement of your speakers.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #160 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I thought there was a blind avr shootout and people could not tell the difference between different brands?
We are talking about the processing of all channels stereo.Some brands process it differently. I think Archaea's two channel stereo is WAYdifferent than what I am use to hearing. However, when it comes to amps, youare correct; no one could tell a difference.
post #161 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thanks Sheldon.
I agree with everything you said. I think baffle walls/AT screens are perhaps are a minor (but more than slight) improvement. Not sure they are worth tearing apart a room or building in - unless you to do unless you already have an easy way to implement like I did. It's not like I couldn't tolerate a non AT screen now that I have an AT screen. It's nice to have the center dialogue come from directly behind the screen, but the Left/Right to me don't really matter if they are directly behind the screen. AVR processing is so good these days with 5.1 and 7.1 tracks that I think as long as your speaker distances are set correctly - you have some generous flexibility as to the placement of your speakers.

I would agree with you for the most part. But think of howmuch further out (left and right) your speakers would have to be with thatgiant screen, putting your right speaker much closer to the corner of your room.Also, your center would be much lower than it was in your old house. You dohave a big room that helps a lot for placement. However, think if you wantedthat super wide screen in a much narrower room. I think by going with an ATscreen you added a lot of convenience.

In my mind, for a lot of rooms there are far more pros thanthere are cons for an AT screen. Yourold room would have been a PITA to do an AT screen in though. Some rooms work others don’t.But overall if someone has the option to do an AT screen, then I say, go forit.
post #162 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

Sounds like a good day. I went back and forth on an AT screen and decided for many reasons for myself why I am not doing it, some would not agree, but again they are my reasons. Probably when I build a new home and build a new theater the proper way I will certainly do it, but for now I am happy with my plan for a fixed screen. One weird part of me likes to see my equipment. I would hate to upgrade up to the 215's and never see them?
post #163 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
We are talking about the processing of all channels stereo.Some brands process it differently. I think Archaea's two channel stereo is WAYdifferent than what I am use to hearing. However, when it comes to amps, youare correct; no one could tell a difference.
Ok gotcha.
post #164 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you tried Denon? Theirs sounds the same as Onkyo's to me.
I have not. I found I did not care for Sherbourn's and a couple other brands. I think pioneer and sony.
post #165 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
carp.... That is a good thing that you cant tell a difference between AT and non AT. So does this mean that you might get an AT screen now?

I CAN tell though when I am in my room and I'm fully reclined since some of the sound from the center channel gets blocked. Still, I don't know if it's enough to push me to go AT. There are always trade offs, for one I'm sure I'd lose a lot of brightness from the screen.
post #166 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would agree with you for the most part. But think of howmuch further out (left and right) your speakers would have to be with thatgiant screen, putting your right speaker much closer to the corner of your room.

That's how I do it in my room and my screen is even wider, but luckily stereo sounds better to me with the mains really wide. I've tinkered with that sooo many times and I always go back to the wide mains - with the 212's anyway - hopefully it will be the same with the 215's.
post #167 of 651 Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Sounds like a good day. I went back and forth on an AT screen and decided for many reasons for myself why I am not doing it, some would not agree, but again they are my reasons. Probably when I build a new home and build a new theater the proper way I will certainly do it, but for now I am happy with my plan for a fixed screen. One weird part of me likes to see my equipment. I would hate to upgrade up to the 215's and never see them?

Exactly, I gotta be able to see those behemoths!!

If I ever do go AT I'm willing to bet I'll only have the center channel behind the screen.
post #168 of 651 Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be hosting a movie night this Friday 7/18 at my place for anyone who'd like to come and see my new setup. Panasonic PT-AE8000U, 144" Seymour XD 2.35:1 screen, Mackie C200 surrounds, JTR 228HT L/C/R, JTR Captivator subs, etc.

I'll be showing the movie Collateral (hopefully it's something you guys haven't seen yet)
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/collateral/
Or if people attending veto that one for some reason or another - I'll pick another film. I prefer lesser known but great movies (or new movies) to avoid boredom of a full movie rewatch, but will surely show a few well known demo clips for the comparisons - including a brief 3d demo with the movie Gravity for anyone who hasn't seen 3d at home. (anyone have any extra compatible 3d glasses? I currently only have four)

Let me know who is attending so I know how many to plan for. I can PM my address for those who don't know it.

Be there at 7PM - eat dinner before you get there - but I'll have soda/beer/snacks. We'll go as long as people have interest.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #169 of 651 Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll be hosting a movie night this Friday 7/18 at my place for anyone who'd like to come and see my new setup. Panasonic PT-AE8000U, 144" Seymour XD 2.35:1 screen, Mackie C200 surrounds, JTR 228HT L/C/R, JTR Captivator subs, etc.

I'll be showing the movie Collateral (hopefully it's something you guys haven't seen yet)
Or if people attending veto that one for some reason or another - I'll pick another film. I prefer lesser known but great movies (or new movies) to avoid boredom of a full movie rewatch, but will surely show a few well known demo clips for the comparisons - including a brief 3d demo with the movie Gravity for anyone who hasn't seen 3d at home. (anyone have any extra compatible 3d glasses? I currently only have four)

Let me know who is attending so I know how many to plan for. I can PM my address for those who don't know it.

Be there at 7PM - eat dinner before you get there - but I'll have soda/beer/snacks. We'll go as long as people have interest.
Live closer. Kthx.
post #170 of 651 Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hahaha

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #171 of 651 Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Why dont you bring your room with you to PA? You could put it in my basement in MD.

I should get back to KC in Dec/Jan; would love to see/hear your awesome new space.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #172 of 651 Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I look forward to giving you the demo!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #173 of 651 Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Anyone know an inexpensive teleportation service?

You guys have a great time. I'm sure Archaea will post how the event goes.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #174 of 651 Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post
Live closer. Kthx.
For cereal.
post #175 of 651 Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Exactly, I gotta be able to see those behemoths!!

If I ever do go AT I'm willing to bet I'll only have the center channel behind the screen.
I have heard just the center behind the AT screen sounds better. I was talking with someone the other day about it and his comment was it completely disappears. Last night I was looking at options for an AT screen, but I thought maybe just the center channel might be a possibility. I only have about 18" as the window is in the way. I'm going to give it a shot.

Quote:

I picked up the Prestige that you mentioned way back in this thread and I really liked it. I had never even heard of it until you mentioned it. Speaking of 3D glasses. I have 4 pairs of Samsung glasses for my HDTV. Do you think that they will be compatible for the Panny 8000 ?
post #176 of 651 Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

3 nights with guests in a row! That was fun! I think everyone enjoyed themselves. I had three guests tonight - AVSForum Cvinfig and ChldsPlay w/ his G/F. Co-workers the previous two nights.

Good times!

We watched Ender's Game tonight and did some demo clips. I hope they enjoyed the evening and will join the KC group for future movie nights.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #177 of 651 Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
3 nights with guests in a row! That was fun! I think everyone enjoyed themselves. I had three guests tonight - AVSForum Cvinfig and ChldsPlay w/ his G/F. Co-workers the previous two nights.

Good times!

We watched Ender's Game tonight and did some demo clips. I hope they enjoyed the evening and will join the KC group for future movie nights.
I am so jealous of you guys who have your home theater ready for guests. Mine is always 'coming soon'...
post #178 of 651 Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I am so jealous of you guys who have your home theater ready for guests. Mine is always 'coming soon'...
I'm with you brah. I started my theater build and plans in September and it is almost September again. Would have been done a month ago if the guy helping would show up. The guy I hired has been a nightmare. He is doing it on the side, but still, he just finds a million reasons to not come. Great guy and all, but man he just does not want to work. This week has been the most he has worked yet. Hoping to be done by next weekend.
post #179 of 651 Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I'm with you brah. I started my theater build and plans in September and it is almost September again. Would have been done a month ago if the guy helping would show up. The guy I hired has been a nightmare. He is doing it on the side, but still, he just finds a million reasons to not come. Great guy and all, but man he just does not want to work. This week has been the most he has worked yet. Hoping to be done by next weekend.
Don't get me started on contractors. My house has been in renovation for 2 years now. Electrician, Plumber, etc, always find excuses...

But slowly and steadily, it'll eventually come together.. fingers crossed!!!
post #180 of 651 Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 335
What a gigantic difference from v.1 to v.2. Excellent work.

Question about the baffle wall treatments....is that OC703 with black facing or something like Insulshield black? And was it available locally or did you have to order it online? Looking for similar for my baffle wall and need to place an order soon.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page