post #211 of 518 Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Shipped, arrived, tested with some 20hz sine waves briefly outside the box. No problems. All eight still outside the sealed boxes on the floor. Intending to put them all together this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 667

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #213 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Looking pretty dam IMPRESSIVE! Cant wait to get back to KC to hear your new room and subs.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #214 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Looks awesome Archaea....can't wait to see it!!

post #215 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Bass Enabler

YES!!!!

This has been a long, long time coming. They Ultimax has arrived.

Jon, I know you've been waiting for what seems like forever for these to be installed. Hope now you can rest easy and enjoy them.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #216 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Dude, if that setup doesn't absolutely rape your room then something is not setup correctly.

Have fun!

post #217 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know what happened to me but lately all I can listen to is metal. I just can't get enough. I have suddenly realized the talent involved in actually playing real instruments as opposed to the silly stuff I used to listen to.

post #218 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know what happened to me but lately all I can listen to is metal. I just can't get enough. I have suddenly realized the talent involved in actually playing real instruments as opposed to the silly stuff I used to listen to.
Another convert!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #219 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Has your account been hacked?? Carp? Haha.
popalock likes this.

post #220 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Funny....that's the first thing I thought is that Carp was at his house, sat down at his PC and posted away.

post #221 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 486

post #222 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Seriously though, he told me he has watched Through the Never multiple times and he really likes it! We watched some of it and his system is sounding awesome. At one point he wanted to make sure the inukes weren't clipping. Not even close, we were just tickling the 10 db's below clipping light when Doris fell apart and crashed down on the stage.

post #223 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm is the light under the clipping light -10 on the inukes? It is on my cv 5000 so I assumed it was on the inukes too.

post #224 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Another convert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Funny....that's the first thing I thought is that Carp was at his house, sat down at his PC and posted away.

Ha,
Carp was over tonight visiting. I went upstairs, and carp posted this under my account.

Through the Never is fun - but I'm still not a metal fan.

post #225 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Jonathan, I got the Mackies all setup over here at my place. I crossed them over at 100 and put on a bunch of clips. I didn't do anything fancy but they sound fantastic. I can definitely push them a lot harder than my SVS without any distortion or break-up. Crystal and I watched a bunch of demo clips on them. Her only real commit was that I really need a better sub. haha!

So when do you want to go blind?

post #226 of 518 Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Ha,
Carp was over tonight visiting. I went upstairs, and carp posted this under my account.

Haahaha, got me for a sec.

Sneaky basterd....
NWCgrad likes this.

post #227 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ha,

Good one @carp !

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #228 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Hey Jonathan, I got the Mackies all setup over here at my place. I crossed them over at 100 and put on a bunch of clips. I didn't do anything fancy but they sound fantastic. I can definitely push them a lot harder than my SVS without any distortion or break-up. Crystal and I watched a bunch of demo clips on them. Her only real commit was that I really need a better sub. haha!

So when do you want to go blind?
Tim, I'm glad you are liking them! I do too as you know. They excel for the price!

As far as blind testing - I think I can tell the difference - but I'll put that to a test. I can do it any night this week. Luke Kamp is coming over tonight, Sheldon was over last night, you were over Saturday, KcNitro07 was over twice this weekend, ChldsPlay was over Friday. My wife is out of town - so I have the ability to play with this gear as much as I want.

If I can't reliably tell the difference between JTR 228HT and Mackie C200, then I'll sell the JTR and pocket lots of money, but I get the remote volume, and yes it's going to reference for short stints. I don't really NEED to go above reference - in fact I'll put a limiter on my preamp so I can't - but I do reguarly turn it up to reference and even 5 dB over for bluray concert demos. Sometimes 10 over for ridiculous gun shot scenes (briefly of course) - but admittedly that gets stupid loud!

As you know, I do a lot of demos for random people and avsforum enthusiasts at reference - so I'll need/expect the Mackies to sound clean and clear, indetectably so, at reference like my 228HT do - in order to consider the sale. I thought I could tell a difference on the music at reference between the two - the blind test will tell me if that's owner bias or legitimate - so I'm game!

Last edited by Archaea; 08-25-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #229 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Your space really came together Archaea, I really like it.
I am planning my very open space (~800 sqft) and will be looking at baffle walls and treatments.
But my concern is the cost vs improvement. Lots of research to do
Thoughts?

Did you do anything for sound proofing?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day

post #230 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb

Quote:

Archaea, I was at a government Science and Technology meeting a couple of weeks ago and was briefly briefed on Therapeutic Whole Body Vibration. Basically exposure of muscle tissue to bass frequencies between 26 and 50 (optimal range 26-30 Hz) has been empirically demonstrated to improve muscle strength. Research also demonstrated that the collagen which makes up the cartilage of your joints and the discs between the bones of the spine responds to a slow pulse of 4 Hz and the ideal frequency window for stimulating bone growth is 30 Hz. Bottomline: with your new bass super system, and @popalock dropping down to a meager 2x 24” subs, you will be positioned to beat popalock in arm wrestling upon his return (and prevent joint injury at the same time).

Based on your satisfaction with the JTR subs and well known calls for rational behavior, I assume you have also seen this research.
Archaea and popalock like this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #231 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Bass Enabler

Lol!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #232 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha!

AUSTIN, you'd better watch out!

post #233 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What's crazy is that we are even wanting to compare a $200 speaker with a $1300 speaker. Even more crazy is how close they are when we are not blind. I hope you have a lot of comments while testing them blind. I think it will be very interesting.

post #234 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Your space really came together Archaea, I really like it.
I am planning my very open space (~800 sqft) and will be looking at baffle walls and treatments.
But my concern is the cost vs improvement. Lots of research to do
Thoughts?

Did you do anything for sound proofing?
Baffle wall and AT screen (in my opinion) are nice, but not necessary. I think their value gets exaggerated sometimes. For music listening, I'm not really sure the baffle wall does my 228HT any favors. I thought they sounded better in my old room, and carp thought they sounded better in his room (when he borrowed them for a couple weeks) than they do in the baffle wall. In fact, carp's visit last night he had a hard time believing the speakers behind the screen where my 228HT - he felt the sound stage was smaller than in either my old room or his room. For movies having the speakers behind the screen makes up for it. That is nice, and warranted and I admit the center especially is great behind the screen. If I were to do it over again I'd probably place my left and right speaker outside the screen frame so as not to limit exact placement and toe in.

My sound proofing so far is coverage of the front wall with 3" studio foam and behind the AT screen with Certainteed Theater Black f ceiling tiles. (.65 NRC) and 3% light reflectivity.

My drop ceiling tiles were replaced, Pink Fluffy installed in the rafters, and then the same Certainteed Theater Black f celing tiles used. As Craig John would say, my entire ceiling is a big bass trap. I put a line of studio foam on the front (projector screen side) of my hvac drop down as well. I've not yet hung any wall treatments other than the front wall. I intend to make some panels - but it isn't that pressing. With the constant directivity horn design of the JTR 228HT's compression driver, there is only a 60* wide dispersion pattern and the sound reflection issues of a typical 180* dispersion pattern speaker are largely mitigated.

post #235 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
What's crazy is that we are even wanting to compare a $200 speaker with a $1300 speaker. Even more crazy is how close they are when we are not blind. I hope you have a lot of comments while testing them blind. I think it will be very interesting.

Friday night then?

6:30 - 7PM start-time?

post #236 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Have you powered up the Daytons yet?

post #237 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yep.

Honestly - at this exact point in time I like the caps better. I'm going to continue to play.

In other news I sold my Sherbourn 7-350 today. Sigh. It was a really nice amp, but it's overkill on power with my high sensitivity speakers and I can put some money back in my pocket by going with smaller amps, like the crown x1000, or a regular receiver. To my ears I couldn't tell the difference between my Onkyo TX-NR1007 with onboard amps and my preamp Onkyo PR-SC5508 with the Sherbourn 7-350. I'm not one to keep expensive gear that I can't tell the difference in - perhaps my speakers are sensitive enough it just doesn't matter, because I hear some folk really love the Sherbourn and preamp combo and felt it made a big difference. I've got a couple pro amps lying around I can use to power my speakers and I can pick up a few extra Crown X1000 amps from guitar center to fill in the rest of the channels.

post #238 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks,
With all that power you have, how do you find the sound levels outside the room?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day

post #239 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Which of your amps are you powering them with?

post #240 of 518 Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Thanks,
With all that power you have, how do you find the sound levels outside the room?
The basement is underground, but is a walk out on the back - You can hear it outside at reference levels - but because the part of the basement that holds the theater is underground - it isn't terrible, and the spacing in my neighborhood is such that it wouldn't bother anyone.

Upstairs, immediately above the theater room you can hear it certainly, but the pink fluffy helped above the drop ceiling in reducing some of that. Frankly there isn't much you can do to absorb very capable subwoofer sound frequencies at high SPL levels unless you spend a lot or use thick concrete. I didn't do the extensive double drywall and green glue and special mounting mechanisms to absorb or contain the sound, but I can reference someone who did. The most impressive display of sound proofing I've seen at any AVSforum member's house was at nebrunner. In his house reference movie level in the basment is only about mid 70dB rating on the floor directly above. I've been to a lot of rooms - his was clearly the most contained. Even right outside the room (double, HEAVY doors) it was hard to tell how loud it was at reference levels.
I had/have sound reflectivity deading as my goal - not sound blocking - the bedrooms in my house are all on the second floor - so basement listening isn't a problem for me. I also have eight sealed subwoofers and two ported caps - and as you mentioned that's a lot of bass power. I like listening to the bass hot and my favorite element of a home theater system is the subwoofer. Ultimately, within my financial means, and living situation, I'd rather concentrate on the sound inside my room, than worry too much about the goal of minimizing sound outside my room.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page