Inherited AVS: Bringing the Old into the New - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-22-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Greeting to all, being new here I hope I'm posting this in the right area.  I have inherited an old audio/video system from my grandfather.  Its mainly consisted of a Pioneer VSX-504S Receiver, 2 Venture speakers, a KLH 5.1 speaker set, an old CD player, a turn table, and a Hitachi 55" DLP TV (2 HDMI and 2 Component HD inputs on the back).  I already know I'm gonna need a new receiver to take advantage of HD (any suggestions would be helpful, please and thank-you:D) since the receiver only has component I/O.  But basically I would like to hook a DirecTV HD receiver, and a HD DVD player to a new receiver that will be in an old book case, about 12' away, with the CD player and turn table in that.  While the SAT receiver and DVD player will be on the stand with the TV.  I have the speaker wires run though the attic, so whatever cables need to be run for it, they will likely be run though there as well.  I was wondering  what all it would take cable wise to run the signals for the SAT and DVD to the case and back again.  I've seen the RedMere HDMI cables @ Monoprice, so I figure I'll need them for the long run.  I'm also interested in knowing if it would be possible to be able to switch between surround sound and not for the TV, so I can turn it on for like movies and off for regular shows.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If the TV supports HDMI-HDCP, you could go HDMI directly to the TV, and then backfeed with component to the AVR. I hope you mean Blu-ray, not HD-DVD?!?!?!

I'd centralize everything if at all possible, having the AVR away from everything else sounds like a nightmare.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind, that AVR doesn't support Optical, which is what I meant to say above, not component... It doesn't look like it supports surround sound at all...
post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

No the AVR doesn't support Dig Audio, but the TV does have a component out on the back.  I had tried it before, but it didn't work.  But when I saw your post I figured I'd give it a shot again, and after messing around with the TV Audio Settings, I got it to work some how.  It has Dolby 3ch Logic, SFC Mode (Studio, Simulated Surround, Arena), and Dolby Pro-Logic for surround sound options though.  Not sure which would be the best, or if it would be better to upgrade the AVR. Took some pics of the back of the AVR for y'all, and of the back of the sub too.  Not sure about the wiring for the sub though.  As you can see there are some labels from when it was hooked up, but the wires don't have labels on them anymore unfortunately.  Some help with that would be much appreciated as well. Thank-you again for the help, it is greatly appreciated. :)

post #5 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't look like it supports surround sound. Component is video, I meant S/PIDIF, it just got jumbled up in my brain...
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

The AVR doesn't support surround sound?  I mean the TV has both component audio (seen in the picture attached), and Optical out.  Would there be any sufficient sound loss to use the AVR and run the audio out of the "Audio to Hi-Fi" on the TV?

post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyber View Post

The AVR doesn't support surround sound?

It supports analog surround - Dolby Pro-Logic, which is derived from the L/R analog audio inputs, but not any of the digital audio formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.).
Quote:
Would there be any sufficient sound loss to use the AVR and run the audio out of the "Audio to Hi-Fi" on the TV?

Assuming the Hitachi TV will output the analog audio received on any of those inputs, there's nothing lost by doing that. When you upgrade your AVR, though, you'll probably want to wire everything to the new AVR, and just take one HDMI video out to the TV.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It supports analog surround - Dolby Pro-Logic, which is derived from the L/R analog audio inputs, but not any of the digital audio formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.).
Assuming the Hitachi TV will output the analog audio received on any of those inputs, there's nothing lost by doing that. When you upgrade your AVR, though, you'll probably want to wire everything to the new AVR, and just take one HDMI video out to the TV.

Jeff

Ah, I forgot about Dolby Pro-Logic. Thanks for setting me straight. Can most TVs output in that format? Is it truly 5.1?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-26-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it's 4.0... LCR and mono surround... DD5.1 is a huge increase in quality as it was the first format with discrete multichannel, instead of the derived-from-stereo method...

As long as the TV doesn't muck with the stereo inputs, the Dolby surround should pass through just fine

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

No, it's 4.0... LCR and mono surround... DD5.1 is a huge increase in quality as it was the first format with discrete multichannel, instead of the derived-from-stereo method...

As long as the TV doesn't muck with the stereo inputs, the Dolby surround should pass through just fine

Gotcha. Interesting.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does anyone have any ideas about the wiring for the sub (as pictured above)?  Are all the connections on the back just different ways of wiring it, or do they all need to be hooked up?  I had tried to find a manual for it, but I hadn't been successful.  Thank-you all for the help you have given me, it's all been extremely useful getting it set up.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have any ideas about the wiring for the sub (as pictured above)?  Are all the connections on the back just different ways of wiring it, or do they all need to be hooked up?  

That's an "active" sub which can take either a line-level preamp output or can be placed in-line with the main L/R speakers. Since that AVR has a pre-amp output for a subwoofer, use that. Connect it to the "mono" (Right / Red) input and you're done.

Jeff
jayn_j likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, OK. I had thought that it was something like that.  Thank-you for all the helpful info.  I've got it all set up at the moment, just waiting on a cable then it will all be good to go. :D

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms