Looking for a tip/trick to make my build easier! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32

Hey all - I have pieced together some Bowers&Wilkins speakers and need to know if anyone has a suggestion for me!

So far I have (temporarily) mounted the TV, and the L&R speakers (they only take a second to remove from the wall as they all use brackets).  My goal is to have 0 wires showing, so I will be routing them in the wall to a media cabinet in a spot not visible in the picture. 

My question is this:  Is there any way to not rip up a bunch of visible dry wall to run the speaker wire from the L&R to the center of the room (behind the TV)

Like this:  Red being speaker wires, brown lines being the studs, and yellow being a hole that wont be visible that I don't mind cutting into the dry wall to give me enough room to do the drilling in both directions, I will also have an electrical box and cable ran behind the TV as well.

Is there any long flexible drill bit or anything to drill through the studs in the wall without ripping the drywall up next to them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Install crown moldings in the room. Run all the wires in the walls straight up to the ceiling, bring them back out into the room just below the ceiling, and the off to the side wall, tucked behind where the crown molding will go...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Install crown moldings in the room. Run all the wires in the walls straight up to the ceiling, bring them back out into the room just below the ceiling, and the off to the side wall, tucked behind where the crown molding will go...

THIS. Unless . . . what is going on with that wall? Is that just a piece of trim, or a concrete knee wall of sorts? Maybe you could do something in that area?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bits like this can be handy
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Flexible-Drill-Bit-Kit-3-Piece-53721/203913339

Could be tricky if that is an exterior wall and insulated
TV looks on the high side, what about bringing every thing down closer to assumed knee wall and running cables there as NickTheGreat mentioned
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Tv looks high because the center channel needs to fit under it yet. Its not an exterior wall for some reason there is just a ledge around the room.

Thanks for the help! I'll look into that bit.

My plan is to remove the lowest trim piece by the carpet and stringing the cables down there (might have to cut the sheet rock an inch but that can be covered up by the trim when its put back on)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Buy a bit like this. My Dad has one and we use it for switches, speakers, just about anything that it can reach. Most of the time you can cut your two holes, drill between, attach the wire, then pull the bit back through the wall.

I'm confused too.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Baseboard. That's the way I would do it. After pulling a piece of baseboard, cut a 1" channel in the drywall. If the baseboard is taller than the footplate/sole plate, you can drill holes in the studs for the horizontal cable runs.

If you're careful cutting the caulk at the top of the baseboard (use a metal straight edge and a sharp utility knife) you may be able to get away without repainting and recaulking the baseboard.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone