Conspiracy Basement Build - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Greetings,
In an effort to help push me further along a basement remodel, and to document progress I am starting a build thread.
Back story: My family purchased our home in Fall 2013. One of my buying "must haves" was a good basement layout for a future bar and theater area, as well as space for the kids to have to themselves. After visiting 80+ homes over the span of 6 months, we found exactly the home we wanted. As someone who values function over form. I was quick to purchase my projector, speakers, sub, and build a DIY screen. Once you have a functioning spot for games and movies, what else do you need? Well, it turns out I'd like to have some walls, maybe a real sectional, some dedicated lighting, and some soundproofing to help drone out the footfall from above. The strangest thing about the basement is that all the interior walls have been finished. I have light fixtures, ceiling fans, outlets, trim, and best of all a fully finished ceiling! After going back and forth with how to address these issues I decided to start a tear out of my ceiling with plans on rewiring the 6 lights all connected to one switch. I also expected there to be nothing above my drywall since footfall is so loud. Once I started wtih the tear out I saw not only was there insulation already up there, there was also a 2" piece of foam. Since I am getting this much noise with all that up there...not too sure about trying to go the soundproofing route. This leads us to the next section...

Plans: I have some good space to work with. I plan on doing the following sections in an open concept:
15x18 Theater
13x13 Excersise Room
13x15 Bar
14x14 Kids room (Separated by Wall)

All dimensions are approx, before walls go up.

Theater:
I plan on creating a family theater section. Complete with Fireplace, 60" Flatscreen, and 7.2 surround sound. There will be a soffit all around to give some separation from the rest of the ceiling. The soffit will house my projector and motorized screen, which will come down infront of the fireplace and flat panel. Still deciding on my screen wall, whether to do built in cabinets to house speakers or keep them floor standing. Either way I'll probably go with an AT screen so the speakers are behind the screen when down. I haven't decided on whether I want to go with a Rack housed separately or just put my components in the built in shelving on the screen wall. Depending on WAF I will go with either a large sectional or theater seating in an X^XX^X format. Either way, I plan on building a cinebar behind for additional seating. I'd like 4-6 recessed lights/sconces? on a dimmer dedicated to the theater. Crown molding around soffit with rope light on switch. Carpet.

Exersise Room:
This room should just be simply framing, carpet, and electrical wiring. I do want to run A/V for a wall mounted TV. I'd like dedicated lighting. Carpet with Rubber flooring over.

Bar:
There is a perfect 6x10 bump out for a bar outside of the 13x15 space. In the bar I plan on doing cabinets along the back wall with a mini fridge. I do not want to break into the concrete below for plumbing, but have seen pumps that can handle waste going back up to the drain in the kitchen. My sink should in the kitchen should be directly above and about 8 feet to the left. If I can figure the drain pump out, my wife would appreciate having a sink in the basement. Above the sink between two cabinets I'd like to mount another TV. There will be a bar at the opening of the bump with stools. In the bigger 13x15 area I'd like a full size air hockey table. Dedicated lighting for bigger area, plus lighting for bar with pendants over bar itself. Likely to use vinyl tile in a wood look.

Kids Room:
There is an existing wall separating the kids room from the open space, but it only goes up approx 6.5" then its open air above. I'll be filling that in so there is a full wall there. The kids room is were my electrical panel is located. My panel now is full with single switches, not sure if I can double up on a switch or if I'd like to put in a subpanel. The kids room will have bookshelves, seating, craft table, and another TV station. Open to flooring. Will not always be a kids room, cannot be technically considered a bedroom.

Storage:
I have a rather large storage room that doubles as the bathroom now. I am not planning on doing anything in there with this build but am open to suggestions. My wife would like to have a finished bathroom down there with sink, toilet, and shower. So that we can turn the kids room into a bedroom for guests. With the layout of my hot water heater and furnace, I'm not sure I have much room to create a finished space.

Soundproofing:
Very skeptical of what I can achieve within my budget. Original owner used 2x4's as furring to attach drywall to joists. I get a lot of footfall and would like to cut that down. I am not overly concerned with other noise getting in or out. Plan on doing single layer of 5/8 GG to the subfloor of my kitchen above the theater area. I will fill the joist cavities with r19 and reuse the existing foam up there as well. Then attach single layer 5/8 to the 2x4 furring. At the top of the stairs is a single louvered door. That will be replaced with a solid core door and something to gap the bottom. I cannot put a door at the bottom of the steps. In my demo I did not remove the dryall from the soffits in the basement and plan on not treating them. Again its mostly the footfall I am concerend with. Hopefully the GG and drywall on the subfloor helps in that regard.

Currently owned equipment:
Pioneer SP-52 series towers
Pioneer SP-22 center channel
Pioneer SP-32 bookshelves (Originally planned for 5.1 probably will be used elsewhere)
Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer (Will purchase another or DIY two for the subs)
Pioneer VSX 1122 AVR
Playstation 3
Playstation 4
Xbox 360
Wii U
Centurylink Prism HDDVR
120" DIY Flexi-White Screen
50' Monoprice Sub Cable
100' Monoprice 12AWG speaker wire
24 GLS Banana clips
Harmony 650 Remote

Future purchase equipment:
3 Wall Mounted TV's
4x In ceiling speakers for surround
Roku or Apple TV
120+" Motorized AT Screen
Theater Seating/Sectional
Barstools

Here is a picture I created in Room Sketcher of what I current plans look like:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 95

I'll post pics of the ceiling demo and overall room layout when I get home.

Thank you to everyone thats offered advice thus far and a big thank you to everyone that will offer advice and support in the coming months.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the pics of the basement before I started demo on the ceiling. It has served its purpose but time to get it fully finished. I originally wanted to keep the pressed brick concrete walls but it got too cold down there last winter.

Screen wall from middle of air hockey area. Plannig on doing the soffit where the projector is at back a few feet to house rear surround in ceilings.

Bar bump out

Wall opposite of the bar bump out. The door goes to an under the stairs storage area and gives access to sump pump and back of furnace

Middle of theater looking into exercise room. Door with sign is entry to storage/bathroom

Exercise area looking into theater

Theater looking back into air hockey area. See the partial wall? Who knows what the point of that was...

Kids room looking back through to main space. Electrical panel is directly behind.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Should be fun Conspiracy. That bathroom could be long and narrow, but you could make it work.

Glad to see that there's a fellow video game console collector in the construction phase. Anxious to follow your progress.

I'm confused too.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Subscribed, looking forward to your build

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

Should be fun Conspiracy. That bathroom could be long and narrow, but you could make it work.

Glad to see that there's a fellow video game console collector in the construction phase. Anxious to follow your progress.

I'd thought about doing a narrow bathroom, but that doesn't leave much room for the storage on the other side. The room looks larger on the sketch up than it really is, which is weird because everything else looks to scale.

My "theater" is really an arcade. Probably 80% gaming, 10 % movies, 10% football games.

I've been following your thread too, one of the reasons I'd decided to make a build thread.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic my idea of what I'd like my screen wall to look like.

The wood on the sides would be covered in screen material to house my towers. The shelving on the bottom would house components. There will be a TV mounted just above. I'd like to get a ventless fireplace in there somewhere but not sure how I'd pull it off. This wall has a motorized projector screen that drops out of the soffitt above, just like I want.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That looks like a sweet setup....only thing that'd make it look better is swapping the red N with a black and gold M. Too each his own....

I'm confused too.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

That looks like a sweet setup....only thing that'd make it look better is swapping the red N with a black and gold M. Too each his own....

Mizzou huh? I was just talking about how we should try to get a home and home series going with them every few years.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great layout! Definitely leaves me jealous in just the space alone! A build thread definitely helps to keep you accountable. wink.gif
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some more pics. I am close to finished with the ceiling drywall demo. Just have the area over the bar to tear out. I am hoping I don't have to demo the soffits. I dont' want to if I dont have to. Please let me know what you think.

FIrst pic is the wall with my sump pump drain. I have to frame off this wall an additional 3-4 inches to clear the drain.

Second is a cleaner shot of the screen wall. The bump out is where my fireplace is at above. I'm thinking its a perfect spot for a ventless fireplace but not sure how I'd build the cabinets around it or where then to mount the TV and center channel.

Next is a clean shot from the bar area into the theater/execise area.

Next is outlets. I'm pretty sure all the outlets in the basement run on one circuit. I've had all my electronics plugged into them, along with a 300w space heater with no issues. An electrician told me he didnt think I'd need a new circuit, but I'll have more connected. Also...electrician said I need to pull the romex out of the conduit in order to secure to my framing. Sound right?

Next up...the shotty insulation job originally done. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be stuffed in there like that. Theres only fluffy on about 40% of the celing. I'm planning on pulling it all out and putting r19 the right way up there. Think that will help with some of the noise from above?

Next...pic showing 4 light fixtures all on same switch. Theres a fixture above the steps and one to the left as well. Thats 6 lights all on one switch. Not sure how to fix this on my own. Can I use the existing wiring and just run it to a new switch?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Check what your local code is for devices on a circuit.
Here we are only permitted a max. of 12 (plugs / lights / combination) per circuit.
With your lights you can use existing wiring but you will have to separate it from the existing and run some new wire from the new switch.
The switch will also require a power source
Now is the time to consider the lighting zones that you would like to have and wire accordingly.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya I'd thought about the lighting zones and rewiring for them.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question: I am planning on using green glue and screws to attach 5/8 drywall directly to my subfloor above the theater/bar area. I have large staples protruding from the subfloor about 1" all throughout. I'd have to apply the GG, hammer the drywall into place, then screw. Will this cause issues with the application? I dont' want to have to cut down all the staples.

Thanks,

Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You mentioned the footfall noise from above being an issue. You can stuff as much insulation in your ceiling as you can but your not going to kill the impact sound that is caused from something like shoes walking on the floor above. Have you looked into installing a resiliant channel system at all before drywalling your ceiling? I haven't done all the research on it and have 0 experience with using or installing it but from what I gather it's a thin metal channel that you screw into the floor joice that your drywall then attaches to. Basically it floats your drywall and makes it so it's not directly attached to the wood. so I guess what happens is the sound isn't transfered through the wood and dryall but channeled away.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've thought about it but to listen to the folks in the soundproofing thread, standard Home depot resiliant channel isnt going to get the job done. I really dont think I have the budget to do with clips and hat channel. If it comes down to making a decision to spend an extra $800-1000 over just looking like an Ahole for yelling at the kids playing upstairs while I am playing video games...well I can yell for free. smile.gif

Edit - I'm hoping the drywall with GG attached to the subfloor helps cancel out quite a bit of that noise. I understand it'll be coming through the joists as well but it'll stop some of the boom I'd guess since the cavity will be filled, no?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yea I would think it will definately help. And yes I agree yelling is easier and free to boot! I do plenty of that in my house. When I first started my build I was all gung-ho (sp?) on sound proofing but then the reality of the final cost hit me and I was like, "well i can just stuff r19 and hope to muffle the airborn sound from going up and waking my sleeping wife up 2 floors up". smile.gif You do what you can. I'm sure it will be good. I didn't even plan to go the extra step of using green glue myself. rolleyes.gif
Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I....Edit - I'm hoping the drywall with GG attached to the subfloor helps cancel out quite a bit of that noise. I understand it'll be coming through the joists as well but it'll stop some of the boom I'd guess since the cavity will be filled, no?
Conspiracy - Are you planning on using double drywall and GG? I don't remember reading where it's recommended to put GG on the studs directly and then a sheet of DW - if that's what you're saying. But my memory is bad. smile.gif You generally use it when using 2 sheets of rock, or some other 1st layer like plywood. You put the GG on the 2nd layer of DW and screw it up normally.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
He's talking between the joists on the bottom side of the above subfloor.

Conspiracy
I know you don't want to clip off all the staples that are poking through but I'm not sure your going to get really good contact with the subfloor above if some bend over when your trying to hammer it up. I would just clip them frown.gif

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

He's talking between the joists on the bottom side of the above subfloor.

Conspiracy
I know you don't want to clip off all the staples that are poking through but I'm not sure your going to get really good contact with the subfloor above if some bend over when your trying to hammer it up. I would just clip them frown.gif

Red - Exactly what W00lly said. GG and drywall up between the joists directly glued and screwed to the subfloor.

W00lly- Exactly what I didn't want to hear but was expecting to hear. We're talking thick staples, like can't cut with a simple one handed snip tool. Might have to break out the compressor and use a cut-off tool. Any other ideas?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 40
discussion on the "cut off" VS "bend over with hammer" on Dedicated Theater Forum: people that had the opportunity to perform the task more than once said they wouldn't go to the trouble to cut off again after installing over bent over fasteners once.
In my own experience, I only had to deal with a few errant nails meant for the joists, so where I couldn't bang them into the side of the joist, I'd nip one side of the fastener with a dremel cut off wheel then grab and bend until metal fatigue worked its magic (wish I would have had a real cutoff wheel, could have been much easier).....but if you have several hundred square feet filled with flooring staples, I'd try hammering over a small section and see what you think of how the drywall sits on top of it. It's a tedious process regardless, but well worth it.

underachiever extraordinaire
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up on hammering them down. I'll take a look at that thread.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I would contact Ted with green glue and see what he thinks. I would think you would want good contact with the green glue on both surfaces for it to do its job and I'm thinking hundreds of bent over staples will not allow that but I could be wrong

A angle grinder with a cut off wheel would make short work of those staples.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I would contact Ted with green glue and see what he thinks. I would think you would want good contact with the green glue on both surfaces for it to do its job and I'm thinking hundreds of bent over staples will not allow that but I could be wrong

A angle grinder with a cut off wheel would make short work of those staples.

Ya I've been in contact with him. I'll double check with him on this. I've seen two other dedicated theaters in which they just hammered the staples down. I'm guessing the drywall will depress around the staple to get that flush contact. I'd be using a rubber mallett to get the bond right.

Edit: Done some searching and found the BIGmouth seal of approval for hammering the staples up to the subfloor and attaching drywall without cutting.I'll get started tonight as long as my kids baseball game doesn't go too long. smile.gif

Old 04-04-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

almost a year and not a peep

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's