Moved into a new house, why not new equipment? (PICS) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello,

I have been a long time lurker on the forums with the occasional post. Last week I moved into my first home. I now have my own 17' x 22' living room. Only my A/V equipment and a sofa chair from college that has seen better days. I have used this forum and speaker auditions to slowly build my system. The FEDEX driver dropped of the two presents below today, bringing my system ( six years in the making) closer to complete, until upgrades of course. I will add the new components to my B&Ws and Onkyo receiver. I am now deciding what I want to do about the video. I can keep the current 47" Samsung (Decent picture) and get a projector with a 2.35:1 screen, wall mounted or, replace the current TV with a much larger one with a better picture. My budget is $4,000. I have been reading about the new Vizio Reference series that is supposed to come out later this year.

The floor is wood laminate, walls-drywall with tan/beige paint and a recessed ceiling with two fans. There is enough room in between the fans to mount a projector (might help keep it cool). I apologize for the mess, I am still moving in. I unpacked the important boxes first.

Any ideas or recommendations are welcome. I understand that the final decision will come down to my personal preferences however, I value the advice of the members on this great forum.

I have to find the best settings for the OPPO 103-D now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Assuming this is your primary TV location, I'd recommend a nice big LCD (70" or so).

Based on the amount of light coming into the room you'd have to control, and the hours you'll rack up on a primary display, go with a TV... You can move your existing one to the master bedroom, too.

Jeff
jayn_j likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I agree with Jeff. Go get a COSTCO membership and look at the selection of 70" or even 80" sets. The current display looks tiny and out of place. Suitable for the bedroom.

That room would take a lot of work to support a projector, and be less flexible to boot. Since this is a multi-purpose room, a flat panel type display is a better choice.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Just to offer a different opinion: my 70inch Sharp TV vs a $349 Viewsonic SVGA projector.

Once the TV shrinks the Blu-ray image to fit a 16:9 tv, picture Frozen on the tv with black bands at the top and bottom for a "small" overall image.

I have a 40, 47, 55 and 70 inch TV.  All we want to watch now is one of my two projectors.  Even the SVGA projector blows the TV out of the water (not in terms of image quality...but the image is good) but size-wow factor.

How about this as a option.  Get a cheap projector like the Viewsonic 5533 (720p) for $405 (Amazon) try it on your bare wall (move the tv and put the projector on a table/stand) for a while... and you still have over $3500 for the TV when it comes out.  If you prefer a tv, then use the Viewsonic as a portable projector in the yard, another room or when traveling.  If you decide you like the projector better....get a better projector and screen with the $3500.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

No question about the Wow factor of a projector and the larger image it will produce. But try that same experiment with all the lights on and the drapes open.

Unless you like living in the dark, I just can't recommend a projector setup in a real "living room" / "family room" as the primary TV... Now, absolutely nothing wrong with a combination (retractable screen, etc.) as the "best of both"...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the recommendations. I have started to look at 70" and 80" panels. Vizio has a nice 80" panel. As much as I would like a projector, I might just have to wait. I am a single guy.

Oh decisions.

I set up the emotive amp and 103D last night. AWESOME!

Would not even have known about these products if it was not for this forum. Good for me, bad for my wallet.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM

I will offer one last opinion.  Go for the 80 inch.  Shortly after I got the 70 inch I started looking at the 80 and 90 inch models while trying to figure out how to convince my wife we needed one.  I bought my first projector to hold off the urge until the price of the Sharp 80 inch TV dropped below $3000.  Seventy inches in your room will not look "that big".

Of course my 20 foot ceiling and open concept (family room/kitchen) doesn't help, but it really doesn't seem much bigger than the 55 inch I had on the stand before the 70 inch.  Plus, you really do lose most of the image size with a blu-ray.

In your picture, the 47 inch tv looks more like a 32 inch, so 80 inch would fit the room perfectly.

Also, Jautor is right about living in the dark.  Sometimes in my basement with the blinds plus blackout curtains, I miss the sun when not watching/using the projector, and yes, I can open the curtain and blinds but the setup complicates the process...but, in your case: new house + single = other "empty" rooms for a future projector.  I know I lost, but I had to try one more time.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

I will offer one last opinion.  Go for the 80 inch.  Shortly after I got the 70 inch I started looking at the 80 and 90 inch models while trying to figure out how to convince my wife we needed one. 

Yep, bigger the better. One thing when shopping them, though - calibrate your thinking by first looking at a 46" (your current screen size) at the store, then move to the larger ones. Even a 60" TV will look tiny compared to the 80-90" sets without context. Just make sure you have an idea of how much bigger it will be in your house... That said, a very large display won't be nearly as imposing when it's flat and hung on the wall. Especially not when compared to the Big Screens of yesteryear!

post #9 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Jautor, remember he is putting it in a 17x22 room.  I looked at his picture and his current tv (47inch) looks more like a 32 inch one in the photo.

I'm not sure he could go "too big" in that room...other than the larger the TV the more of a pain it is to hang/move.  My tv looks small in a room with 20 foot ceilings, and his room looks equally impressive.

I could really work with his room and put the TV on his "current wall" and occasionally shine a projector on the opposite wall (less light to deal with and all the connections are right with the projector and TV) for a 150 inch plus image for "boys night" (Superbowl, etc).

post #10 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

Jautor, remember he is putting it in a 17x22 room.  I looked at his picture and his current tv (47inch) looks more like a 32 inch one in the photo.

I'm not sure he could go "too big" in that room...other than the larger the TV the more of a pain it is to hang/move.  My tv looks small in a room with 20 foot ceilings, and his room looks equally impressive.

Agreed... Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression - it's just that when looking at 70" or 80" displays in the store, you can forget how big that really is, especially when the 50" and 60" TV next to them look tiny. Coming from a 40-46" that image will be huge, regardless, and will take some getting used to. Just didn't want him to be shocked by that...

post #11 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM

Sorry if I gave or got the wrong impression, but you are right.  I jumped from a 47 inch to the 70 inch in my basement and after the first two hours of using it, I thought I had made a mistake and gone too big, but within a short while (a few days), I (we.. the family) got used to it.  We started watching more blu-rays, and the aspect ratio made the 70 inch seem small, so then I really wanted a 90 inch but could not justify (to the wife) the $10,000 price tag at the time. 

So you are right, any jump from a 47 to 60 or 70 or 80 will take getting use to.  

TheSeanO, I look forward to seeing what you purchase for your house. 

post #12 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, still doing the research. I plan to hit up the local best buy this weekend to check out the different sizes.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Agreed... Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression - it's just that when looking at 70" or 80" displays in the store, you can forget how big that really is, especially when the 50" and 60" TV next to them look tiny. Coming from a 40-46" that image will be huge, regardless, and will take some getting used to. Just didn't want him to be shocked by that...

Remember folks the viewable area goes up by the square of the diagonal. So an 80" set has about 1 3/4 times the viewing area of a 60" set and a whopping 3 2/3 times the viewing area of that 42" set. The impact is huge, but as Jeff says, you will get used to it very quickly.

In addition to jeff's comments about light control, you also need to consider that a general purpose room is, well general purpose. You are going to want to have the set on while you are working on a project, or reading, or whatever. This is extremely difficult with a projector.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Agreed with above. My 65" seemed like a huge upgrade over my prior 52" at first. Now it seems it could be bigger. I was jonsing for something bigger and now use the 65" for the primary living room and for the most part content for its purposes, but then use "110 pj in my basement for movies.
Even still I feel that gets small when you lose such a large chunk of screen for bands on 2.35 movies

For your space though and with the light, i would go with a bigger panel

post #15 of 15 Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I decided on the JVC 4910u (Thank you to Mike at AV Science for the great price). I have always wanted a projector, so my decision was biased. After looking at the prices of TVs over 75", I felt that I would get more bang for my buck with a projector.

I plan on painting the room a darker flat palette with blackout curtains and a large curtain in order to separate the kitchen from the living room.

I wanted to get the projector first and play around with screen size options and aspect ratios before settling on a screen.

Screen Options:

-Paint a screen on the wall

-Mount a screen on the wall

-Mount a motorized screen on the ceiling that is AT and have it come down in front of the TV (mounted on the wall) and center channel speaker.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page