Looking for Ideas for FROG - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello -  I'm moving into a new house that happens to have to FROG...  I'm looking for some ideas to set this up as my man cave... I was thinking projector but I'm not sure with the roof lines if that would be wise..  I would prefer to stay under 1K for A/V... If it is a must for me to break that budget, I'm sure I can pull from the overall budget but if I don't have to, I would prefer not to.  I have attached a few pictures... I can get more in a couple days, the house is being cleared at the moment. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Frankly, 1k for a new projector setup is going to be a stretch, unless you get a good deal on used equipment.

Screens, Projectors, cables, light control for that window, speakers, receiver, etc. It can add up very quickly.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Screen over the window or motorized over the window. I think your room is a lot easier than mine to set up. At least you have an almost rectangular room. Is the $1k for everything or just the projector? As Johnny M said, it adds up fast even with a cheap projector. I would say at least $1500 if you get everything used. I'm looking at close to $5k for my room and I'm getting all new or manufacture refurbished stuff.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
FROG? As in, Kermit? biggrin.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Free room over garage?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I've always been told that it means Finished Room Over Garage...

post #7 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

Screen over the window or motorized over the window. I think your room is a lot easier than mine to set up. At least you have an almost rectangular room. Is the $1k for everything or just the projector? As Johnny M said, it adds up fast even with a cheap projector. I would say at least $1500 if you get everything used. I'm looking at close to $5k for my room and I'm getting all new or manufacture refurbished stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

Frankly, 1k for a new projector setup is going to be a stretch, unless you get a good deal on used equipment.

Screens, Projectors, cables, light control for that window, speakers, receiver, etc. It can add up very quickly.

I don't mind increasing my budget.. I just need ideas on making it work in this space... I would prefer to go projector but I can do a TV as well if the solution will be too clumsy.  I have access to some discounted equipment from my AV Integrator partners as well...  I'm a member of the Tech Team for my church. ..  

post #8 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Oh that type of FROG. wink.gif

What are the dimensions of your room? Is it big enough to support a PJ? I agree that the $1k budget isn't going to cut it. Maybe $1k for just the PJ.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 42

I recently put up (mounted $24) a Viewsonic 5533w (Amazon $405) for a co-worker and he uses his wall as a screen.  He caught a Denon HTIB for $300 (regularly $599).  Add in cables and he is still under $800.  (While the system is 720p, most of the content he watches is 720p with the occasional blu-ray thrown in.)  The picture/sound are great for the amount of money spent. (I should add that he lives in a gated lake community and he is still proud to show what $800 will buy.)

In my case, I originally started with a SVGA Viewsonic ($349), a Sony 3d blu-ray player ($89) , 4 sets of 3d glasses ($80), a Logitech 200 watt THX 2.1 system ($99), ceiling mount ($24) and cables/misc (HDMI, audio, component, etc) ($150).  I still use the SVGA on a small camp chef screen 92 inch ($150), but the "screen door effect" (lack of usable pixels) limits the screen size.

As I went bigger (from 130 inch image to a 169 inch image using a wall as a screen), I upgraded to a cheap 1080p Epson for $799 and added a 5.1 system ($750).

I included a photo of my cheap SVGA Viewsonic image on a off white wall verses my 70 inch Sharp. (I would take my cheap projector over my 70 inch TV any day of the week.)

Amazon has several cheap screens for indoor/outdoor use and a 144 inch screen (runs from $229 to $239) that you could simply hang from two hooks from the roof.  Throw in a blackout curtain for the window ($20ish) and a cheap projector/audio, then you will have have a movie room which will still "wow" your friends for not much money.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

I recently put up (mounted $24) a Viewsonic 5533w (Amazon $405) for a co-worker and he uses his wall as a screen.  He caught a Denon HTIB for $300 (regularly $599).  Add in cables and he is still under $800.  (While the system is 720p, most of the content he watches is 720p with the occasional blu-ray thrown in.)  The picture/sound are great for the amount of money spent. (I should add that he lives in a gated lake community and he is still proud to show what $800 will buy.)

In my case, I originally started with a SVGA Viewsonic ($349), a Sony 3d blu-ray player ($89) , 4 sets of 3d glasses ($80), a Logitech 200 watt THX 2.1 system ($99), ceiling mount ($24) and cables/misc (HDMI, audio, component, etc) ($150).  I still use the SVGA on a small camp chef screen 92 inch ($150), but the "screen door effect" (lack of usable pixels) limits the screen size.

As I went bigger (from 130 inch image to a 169 inch image using a wall as a screen), I upgraded to a cheap 1080p Epson for $799 and added a 5.1 system ($750).

I included a photo of my cheap SVGA Viewsonic image on a off white wall verses my 70 inch Sharp. (I would take my cheap projector over my 70 inch TV any day of the week.)

Amazon has several cheap screens for indoor/outdoor use and a 144 inch screen (runs from $229 to $239) that you could simply hang from two hooks from the roof.  Throw in a blackout curtain for the window ($20ish) and a cheap projector/audio, then you will have have a movie room which will still "wow" your friends for not much money.

Thanks Steve.. What kind of epson projector are you using? 

post #11 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 79
That room could work out quite nicely.

Something like a DIY acoustically transparent screen and speaker gill fabric front wall could give you a nice budget room
while hiding the front speakers and sub.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 42

I have the Epson HC2000 which runs anywhere from $749 to $799 on Amazon.  Not the best "blacks" or contrast, but the picture is still excellent.  What sold me on it was the $99 dollar replacement lamp.  (In the interest of full disclosure, I have not been able to purchase a backup lamp since they sell out as soon as Epson notifies me.)  I have over a 1000 hours on it and I got it in late November, so we use it like a TV.  We still use the Logitech 200 watts speakers since it is one push button on and then the volume can be controlled with the Epson remote (the family does like to fool with the 5.1 except when I am around). 

This would still be in your price range if you go the DIY screen route.  It has two HDMIs in, so cables can get expensive.  (If you are a heavy "gamer", I'm not sure this is the projector for you due to the processing lag.  For what we play, we have had no issues.)  Also, you can get fairly cheap 3D glasses via Amazon.  I have six pairs...2 rechargeable (approx. $40) and 4 battery ($20 a pair).  Of course, the family tired of 3D and I am the only one who uses it now.

Most reviews and photos I've seen indicate that the Benq 1070 or 1080st has a sharper picture, but you pay more for the replacement lamp and the projector.

On the included photos, not the best ...but the projector  was fairly easy to mount.  Since the Viewsonic had a different "throw distance", it was much closer to the back wall than the Epson.  (It is in the basement, so I didn't need to worry about how it looks mounted.)  When I originally took these photos I was trying to give a sense of image size (169in diagonally), so Cap stands about 6ft 2in and the Window about 5ft 8in.

JJenkins2005 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Oh that type of FROG. wink.gif

What are the dimensions of your room? Is it big enough to support a PJ? I agree that the $1k budget isn't going to cut it. Maybe $1k for just the PJ.

Sorry for the delay.. I had to measure when we went to the house.. The room is 13 feet wide x 19 feet from the window wall to the stairs.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page