Plight Media - Planning Phase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new house has a 19x20 foot room that is a blank canvas. I initially wanted to do a full on, pure home theater build, but the allure of having my "arcade" room proved too great. So I HAD to find a way to accomplish both. I didn't want to carve out the room, so I tried to think of a more "elegant" solution. What I think I have settled on is partitioning off the room with a heavy drapery. I think it would help with the home theater look, as well as give me 4 or 5 feet on the other side for the arcade. It would ideally be able to be mounting on the north and south wall to keep open, and closed during movies.

Apologies for the proportions. I kind of hammered this out while waiting for a server to install at work. I will update the image to a more accurate proportions later this evening.

Thoughts? Would this have an adverse affect on sound? Any special considerations when partitioning off a room like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
What's your goal with the curtain?

I think I'd consider rotating the screen onto the right wall, and lining the south wall with the arcade machine(s) - pinball towards the back (left side) to keep the deeper machines out of the way. Then cover the windows with heavy blackout curtains as needed.

No matter what you do with this arrangement, you won't be able to use both at the same time - pinball machines are loud, arcade games (and the players!) aren't much softer...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM

The main goal with the curtain would be to separate the space. It would also serve as to block the light from reflecting off the shiny surfaces.

And yes, it would be one or the other. I hate background noise interfering with my movies. wink.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just one row of seating with such a large space? How many bodies do you need to seat?

With such a low seating demand, have you considered dividing the space into a dedicated theater and a
dedicated arcade space?

How wide are the arcade and pinball machine? Have you considered putting them side by side to create a wider
room, and using an acoustically transparent screen to get a large screen in a narrower space?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I may add an additional row, its kind of up in the air atm. We were just going to throw a couple loves aks in there, But I am also considering tiered seating.

I don't want to carve off the room via a remodel. I would rather throw my available funds at gear rather than a renovation.

The arcade and pinball machine have yet to be sourced.... I KNOW I want them, the question is how to make it work in the room without affecting the viewing / sound experience. I was initially going to go acoustically transparent, but am finding it really hard to justify the cost. A good quality acoustically transparent screen is considerably more than a similar Zero Edge judging by my quotes from Star Power.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Why not DIY with Seymour XD material?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm just not feeling the DIY angle in regards to the screen. Plus I have 2 toddlers running around and a solid, hard back screen is much easier to clean. wink.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Could I just put them in the room along the back wall without diving them up? Would this adversely affect sound in any way? Any other reason so some how separate it?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by plight View Post

Could I just put them in the room along the back wall without diving them up? Would this adversely affect sound in any way? Any other reason so some how separate it?

Sound-wise, no, not going to do much. But you might get reflections from a pinball back-glass onto the screen which could negatively affect contrast. And that all assumes the machines are turned OFF while using the projector -otherwise you're going to be throwing a LOT of light towards the screen. And again, the noise from them would be a non-starter...

I still think you should rotate the room 90 degrees clockwise, and place the arcade against the south wall facing into the room.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #10 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jautor. After thinking about it, that is probably the way to go. But I figure I may as well put it on the opposite wall and use it to help block the window (will put drapes as well probably). May put it on a track in case I did want natural light.

I think being on the wall with the window will also help with the flow of the room since it does not need to be offset.

Here is a new visio design ive done, with accurate dimensions.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page