On a 12ft viewing distance, would you go with 120" with a pretty amazing Image quality, or 135" with decent image quality ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First post after lurking for awhile :). 

Putting together my dedicated home theater. No windows, 100% light control with a 12 foot viewing distance. I just picked up a used Panasonic PT-ae4000u. Incredible image quality! My last projector was an Optoma GT750 (more for convenience rather then "awesome" PQ, obviously)... and waaayyy before that, I used to have a Panasonic PT-AX100u that I absolutely love (hence the decision to go with another panny).

My theater room's absolute max accommodation for a screen is 135", which is what I wanted. I didn't calculate the throw distance on the AE4000u prior to purchasing, and discovered that butt up against the rear wall, the max screen I can get is 123" (or 120"). 

When I had the PT-AX100u, I was doing 135", and it was awesome. I really loved that completely immersive theater experience where the picture was so large, just a lliiittttttllleeeeee bit of the picture was ever so sliiggghtttllyy out of your side vision, but not to the extent that really required you to move your head side to side.

With this 120", I don't quite get that, but I could with something like the BenQ w1070, which is in all respects, inferior to the AE4000u in overall image quality (don't want/need 3D).

So I pose the question, if you were me, would you opt for the more "epic cinema" experience, or the better image quality.

BTW, before someone mentions, I can't really move the sofa up to the wall, because the double doors to the theater room are positioned in a way that would make you run into the sofa if it were pushed up anymore. 

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Have you considered using a first surface mirror to give you the additional throw distance you need to get 135" out of the PT-AE4000u? It might be an easy way to get you the image size you want with the projector you already have and are happy with.

post #3 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Never heard of that as an option. Interesting route, but I'm a big proponent of keeping things as simple as possible. 

post #4 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

It's not difficult. Mount the projector at an angle 90 degrees to to the screen and reflect off a mirror placed at a 45 degree angle. You would only need to move the projector a foot or two and the mirror wouldn't have to be very big. (I'm guessing 6-8" or so). Let me know if you want to pursue it and I'll try to help work out the specifics.

post #5 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Is there any difference in image quality to any degree when reflecting off a mirror? What other considerations are there (if any) ?

post #6 of 15 Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

There shouldn't be any noticeable differences with a good quality first surface mirror. The only real trick is to get things lined up properly so you don't introduce geometry problems, but you have to be careful with that when you mount a projector anyway.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-16-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
A first surface mirror will cost you a little bit of brightness. First surface mirrors are also not cheap.

I myself would go the 120" screen, with a dark finishes to capture stray light coming off the screen, and enjoy the brighter image.

Maybe you can't move the sofa, but you could reduce the viewing distance with an acoustically transparent screen and screen wall
up front....
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM

Liked: 18
For DIY project you can salvage a large first surface mirror out of an old projection TV. You can probably get this for free and the mirror might come with a mounting frame and angle adjustment screws.

Randy
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

A first surface mirror will cost you a little bit of brightness. First surface mirrors are also not cheap.

I myself would go the 120" screen, with a dark finishes to capture stray light coming off the screen, and enjoy the brighter image.

I agree with Tedd.

You're definitely going to lose some brightness - even if using a high quality first surface mirror, and I think there will also be a marginal hit to your image quality. Finally, working out the proper geometry and calibration is going to be difficult. And once it's calibrated, you'd better have it rock solid secure because any tiny change in the mirror's orientation is going to be noticeable on the screen for sure. You may wish to take a look at how Runco accomplishes this with the LS-100d.

The dimensions you mention above - are you talking about 120" wide or diagonal? And I assume you're using a 16:9 ratio? Either way, it's a sizeable screen from that viewing distance and I would definitely choose a nice punchy 120" image over a less bright and more muddy 135" one. Just my two cents...

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It sounds like you want a 135" image (you said so yourself). If you go with a 120", you'll prob regret it.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It might hurt the sound quality but as the other dimensions aren't known, have you considered sitting slightly closer to the screen?
Assuming a narrow room you might be closer to the "ideal" triangle??

Bastogne
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I have a 120" 16:9 screen and a 128* 2.35:1 ( diagonal measurements ) and we watch from 12 1/2 feet. I wouldn't want to be any closer, or have a bigger screen, without a 4K projector. Pixels are not quite visible at my current distance - so I vote for better picture quality and a slightly smaller screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 73
NKim

What did you do?

Bastogne
post #14 of 15 Old 06-13-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 653
tough situation...
a current gen 70" HDTV has a better picture quality than any projector I've seen - - but I'd take the projector.

I recently went with a panasonic AE8000U and it's a significant upgrade my my Epson 8350. I was considering a 70" HDTV this next go round after investigating the new TVs - but ultimately when I zoomed down my projector image size to get an idea - I new that wasn't really going to float my boat - no matter how good the picture quality was. I currently use a 144" scope screen which is the equivalent of 152" 16x9 at scope mode and 114" 16x9 in native mode from about a 13' viewing distance. I'm digging it!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #15 of 15 Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
120" sounds about right for that distance. If you look at the THX distance calculations, they recommend exactly what you'd have- the math works out to 10" of screen per foot of viewing distance for a truly immersive experience. What I have found on a far smaller screen (60"), however, is that with a service provider that compresses their content heavily, the closest I can get before I go nuts is about 1.5x the THX optimal distance, but still within their recommended ranges, or about 9' with a 60" screen. I'm hoping to go bigger/closer if/when I move and have a service provider that can provide better picture quality like VZ FIOS. Of course none of this matters for Blu-ray, HDX, iTunes, etc, but it can make things rather jarring when you switch back to TV...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
Gear in this thread - ae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page