Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thank you for allowing me to show my wife how much worse I could be. LOL!
Room looks amazing! Great job!
post #33 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post

Thank you for allowing me to show my wife how much worse I could be. LOL!
Room looks amazing! Great job!

Thanks Nick, glad I could help you out there, and I know exactly what you mean. All of the surrounds and subs will get covered with white grill cloth in some frames that match the cutout and profile of the soffit - so they will all be hidden. That is the only way I could get this plan signed off on by my wife. I will take a break for a bit, move along a little slower, and enjoy the summer a bit now that the big stuff is complete. I'm tired!
post #34 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

The fan and LEDs for the soffit are here, and I have a pile of fixtures to install, but here are a few pic to show the panorama of where the room is today. I still have painting to do in the kitchen and an island to build, granite top to order.

IMG_2448_zps1f1e4b97.jpg

IMG_2444_zpsadee8de9.jpg

post #35 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

post #36 of 121 Old 06-04-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Fantastic work!  A serious transformation of the space.  Keep it up, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

post #37 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

With the wall gone, how are you planning to vent the stove? I can see the original hole for the vent in this picture, but I have not seen a picture from this angle since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Nope, no vent. Not yet. If it causes an issue, I will install a vent directly above and assign a switch with the Insteon system, but I don't think we will need it. We aren't greasy cooks, unless we are talking about meat candy (bacon).

It looks like a gas range, which requires venting. The greatest concern is the carbon monoxide produced by the burning gas, if not properly vented it can be very dangerous. Waiting until it "causes an issue" is a really bad idea when that "issue" could be fatal.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #38 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Co is a deadly gas, and I'm freaked out by it since it is odorless, colorless, tasteless. We have a co detector in the kitchen and have yet to get a reading above 0ppm, even with the ventless fireplace log set. The cooktop is a DCS which burns very efficiently. The oven is also gas and is vented. When one of these has an issue with the gas/air mix, then the co becomes a problem. We have another detector in the next room closer to the bedrooms that will send text alerts through the Insteon system in the event of co or smoke.
post #39 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

Quote:

With the wall gone, how are you planning to vent the stove? I can see the original hole for the vent in this picture, but I have not seen a picture from this angle since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Nope, no vent. Not yet. If it causes an issue, I will install a vent directly above and assign a switch with the Insteon system, but I don't think we will need it. We aren't greasy cooks, unless we are talking about meat candy (bacon).

It looks like a gas range, which requires venting. The greatest concern is the carbon monoxide produced by the burning gas, if not properly vented it can be very dangerous. Waiting until it "causes an issue" is a really bad idea when that "issue" could be fatal.

It doesn't require venting - not by code, not even by best judgement. There are quite a few houses in the midwest built with gas ranges on cooktops or islands in the kitchen - with no venting. I looked into it when we were considering a gas range for our house. It's all about how big your house is, how much airspace there is, etc. It's basically a ratio. It's not going to be a problem in his big kitchen unless he cooks for hours and hours and hours.

https://www.inkling.com/read/nfpa-national-fuel-gas-code-handbook-denise-beach-2012/chapter-12/12-3-specification-for-venting

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #40 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Very cool build d_c! I can't wait to hear it. eek.gif
post #41 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Seriously nice work and attention to detail.
post #42 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Truly nice work!
post #43 of 121 Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Thank you guys. Stitch - come by for the BBQ and we will let 'er rip.

Speaking of detail, I installed the LEDs on top of the soffits last night and they lit up some spots that need to be fixed on the ceiling. Also, I didn't realize that the led strips need a special dimmable power supply, so I have to order 3 of those. I want to solder the connections once those are in and then I will secure the strips down.

post #44 of 121 Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

The couch has been delivered after having to get a replacement on 2 out of 2 pieces. They scratched the first one bringing it in the house and the other piece had obviously be repaired at some point before I had it. There was a big section on the back that look like it had a big scratch that had been filled and spray painted over with a not-so-good matching paint. I will scratch my couch plenty myself, thank you very much. We are loving it so far. It's BIG.

I will be working on the island over the next few weeks, and hope to have it ready for granite by the first of August.

I built some temporary cabs for the LCR to listen to while I build some nice curvy pieces with veneer and piano finish on the baffle. I knew I would hurry them so I could listen to them, so building some quick ones to tide me over was the only way.

Last edited by d_c; 07-04-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #45 of 121 Old 07-04-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Forgive me if I missed it.. did not read the thread just zipped through the pictures.. great work!! BUT where is the projection screen? All that audio and a tiny flat screen???
post #46 of 121 Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Forgive me if I missed it.. did not read the thread just zipped through the pictures.. great work!! BUT where is the projection screen? All that audio and a tiny flat screen???
Fair assessment on the screen. It's a 60", but it's dwarfed by everything else. It will work for now with our 13' seated distance and since we just upgraded from a 42" last year, it seems just right to us. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it in this thread or not, but I do plan on installing a PJ and 120" tensioned motorized screen at some point soon. I have no clue what to get as of now, but I have some things to finish up before I start shopping screen and PJ.

To do list:
Build the island and buy bar stools
Install blackout drapes for the windows and sliding door
Re-eq the subs
Integrate the Insteon ISY-994i
Initiate J-Rule and buy an iPad
Program lighting scenes
Build screens for the subs and surrounds
Tidy up the a/v rack wiring
post #47 of 121 Old 07-21-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

I measured and EQ'ed and am happy with the results for the first run. I won't get serious about it until the window treatments are in and rug is down.

post #48 of 121 Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Wow Doug your room transformation looks amazing! Great job.
post #49 of 121 Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Wow Doug your room transformation looks amazing! Great job.
Thanks Luke - I'm loving it so far. I have quite a few hours listening to music and figuring out what settings to use on the AVR. I still haven't had a chance to watch a good movie that will do it any justice yet. I have watched plenty of demo scenes and last night we watched The Grand Budapest Hotel. My wife is set on watching Orange is the New Black so that is what I get to watch for now, and that looks and sounds terrible streamed off of Netflix.
post #50 of 121 Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Thanks Luke - I'm loving it so far. I have quite a few hours listening to music and figuring out what settings to use on the AVR. I still haven't had a chance to watch a good movie that will do it any justice yet. I have watched plenty of demo scenes and last night we watched The Grand Budapest Hotel. My wife is set on watching Orange is the New Black so that is what I get to watch for now, and that looks and sounds terrible streamed off of Netflix.
re orange is the new black....yeah, streaming wont be blu-ray quality, but you have to admit that it's a damn good show and super funny.

Sometimes when the wife and I are starting to fight, I'll say to her "you better settle down, crazy eyes!" and I'll imitate her angry face including crazy eyes. We'll both start laughing at that point, and it usually blows over.
post #51 of 121 Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wow. Amazing build. You've got skills. Love to see the stealth concept being applied with huge speakers. I thought I had a great and understanding wife. I've tried to go the stealth route as well, but went with rather large in walls and just finally added the retractable screen and pj. The screen drops down in front of a 50" plasma when used. Again, great work and vision.
post #52 of 121 Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post
Wow. Amazing build. You've got skills. Love to see the stealth concept being applied with huge speakers. I thought I had a great and understanding wife. I've tried to go the stealth route as well, but went with rather large in walls and just finally added the retractable screen and pj. The screen drops down in front of a 50" plasma when used. Again, great work and vision.
Thank you! It's not stealth yet: the 11 speakers are the first things people notice when they walk into the room. I am enjoying vegging on the couch listening to tracks too much to build the covers. I knew this would happen, and so did my wife. I look forward to having a bigger screen and PJ, but I'm content with the 60" for now. I'm not looking forward to spending a minimum of $2k for the screen and PJ.
post #53 of 121 Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The only thing I question is the flooring. I prefer pre-finished because the finish on pre-finished is way more durable than anything they can use when doing it at your house. That's all.
post #54 of 121 Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
The only thing I question is the flooring. I prefer pre-finished because the finish on pre-finished is way more durable than anything they can use when doing it at your house. That's all.
There is no doubt that it is more durable and can look pretty nice. I have never been a fan of prefinished or Pergo style mostly due to the space between the boards. They look cheap to me even though they can be much more expensive. I do really like the style that looks like planks or repurposed wood. But, I like the seamless layer of a traditional wood floor. It looks more "furniture grade" to me. All this said, we have already scratched the heck out of it in several places...
post #55 of 121 Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by BeerParty

I cook bacon in the oven. I never cook it on the stove -- too messy.

Bob
post #56 of 121 Old 07-26-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no doubt that it is more durable and can look pretty nice. I have never been a fan of prefinished or Pergo style mostly due to the space between the boards. They look cheap to me even though they can be much more expensive. I do really like the style that looks like planks or repurposed wood. But, I like the seamless layer of a traditional wood floor. It looks more "furniture grade" to me. All this said, we have already scratched the heck out of it in several places...
We have prefinished engineered maple flooring (4mm top layer, can be refinished three times). We chose the hand scraped version. I think it looks stunning. To me, there the spaces between the wood, especially with hand scraped aren't bad. However, it still scratches, even with 9 layers of finish on it.

The prefinished flooring is upstairs and the "regular" maple flooring is downstairs. There is a difference in spacing, but we also bought wide plank prefinished (5 inches wide?) versus maybe 2.5 inches wide downstairs. To me, the upstairs, prefinished is stunning; the downstairs, normal is OK.

Bob
post #57 of 121 Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
d_c
Advanced Member

I found the perfect size mirror to cover the access panel for the equipment rack on sale at Hobby Lobby. It has a pressed tin frame, so I welded two old door hinges that I saved from the remodel to the inner frame. It overhangs a few inches and sits about 3/8" out from the wall, so plenty of airflow can escape with the fan sitting inside the closet. I still need to tidy up wires in there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krakhen likes this.

Last edited by d_c; 08-30-2014 at 01:15 PM.
post #58 of 121 Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 773
that looks great!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #59 of 121 Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Absolutely awesome! I think the concrete hearth blows the doors off granite and won't ever looked dated.

post #60 of 121 Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page