Updating room for reduced reflections - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Updating room for reduced reflections

Hi, as I am updating my home cinema room by making my own fixed frame, so I also thought about improving the overall cinema experience by reducing light reflections in the room. (Got egg-white ceiling and egg-white walls)

I was thinking about adding 40" of black velvet in the ceiling and the walls (see attached picture).
But when it comes to the colour of the projector screen wall, I have been told to not go with black, because then your eyes will have a reference point, as the wall is darker than the black levels of the projector. So I was thinking on going for dark burgundy velvet on the screen wall.

Is this a good solution, or does anyone have some input here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
check out the dedicated theater forums "Show me your....." screen wall thread. Lots of examples of what others have done. I'd take the advice on not using black on the screen wall with a grain of salt. You'll see more theaters with red walls and black screen walls than the other way around.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
check out the dedicated theater forums "Show me your....." screen wall thread. Lots of examples of what others have done. I'd take the advice on not using black on the screen wall with a grain of salt. You'll see more theaters with red walls and black screen walls than the other way around.
Hi, I checked the thread you are talking about, but generally 95% of all the pictures are in a whole other class than what I am looking for.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm a huge fan of foam, absorbs light and sound. Some good adhesive (and the occasional screw) will keep in it place. The issue is room size:screen size ratio. When you're that close to the walls (ESPECIALLY white walls), it's extremely difficult to block light. I once built a home theater in a 10' X 9' room, and that was with a 110" screen. I was right up against the walls and ceiling like you are. I covered the ceiling, and bottom half of the walls, with a 1/2" black foam, then used dark burgundy fabric on the upper portion of the walls. I got a crazy red glow during certain scenes, but it was MUCH more bearable than having that immense white glow all the time.

The secret is the buy in bulk, not sure where you're located, but there's a place in Oakland, Ca. called Bay City Upholstery, their baycityfoam site looks like it's incomplete so I just use it for basic reference then just call them. I'm sure you have a lot of good upholstery suppliers in your area, just avoid places like "jo ann fabrics'. the only reason I say that is because they cater to the crafter, if you're buying a yard of vinyl, it's a nice quick place to buy from, but when you're buying 100 yards, you're better off saving like 20-40% from a upholstery supplier.

Of course if you're looking to go DIRT cheap, flat black paint.

EDIT: Not sure who told you about that whole not going with black thing, but I'd say you'd be ok.

Last edited by MSHax; 06-14-2014 at 09:38 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
I'm a huge fan of foam, absorbs light and sound. Some good adhesive (and the occasional screw) will keep in it place. The issue is room size:screen size ratio. When you're that close to the walls (ESPECIALLY white walls), it's extremely difficult to block light. I once built a home theater in a 10' X 9' room, and that was with a 110" screen. I was right up against the walls and ceiling like you are. I covered the ceiling, and bottom half of the walls, with a 1/2" black foam, then used dark burgundy fabric on the upper portion of the walls. I got a crazy red glow during certain scenes, but it was MUCH more bearable than having that immense white glow all the time.

The secret is the buy in bulk, not sure where you're located, but there's a place in Oakland, Ca. called Bay City Upholstery, their baycityfoam site looks like it's incomplete so I just use it for basic reference then just call them. I'm sure you have a lot of good upholstery suppliers in your area, just avoid places like "jo ann fabrics'. the only reason I say that is because they cater to the crafter, if you're buying a yard of vinyl, it's a nice quick place to buy from, but when you're buying 100 yards, you're better off saving like 20-40% from a upholstery supplier.

Of course if you're looking to go DIRT cheap, flat black paint.

EDIT: Not sure who told you about that whole not going with black thing, but I'd say you'd be ok.
Hi, good suggestions, only problem is that I live in Europe.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Rankiz, what you want to do will work very well.. My wall treatment are removable.. If you click the thumb nails and scroll down there are some comments about the photo under most.
Living room Updated

Last edited by airscapes; 06-14-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankiz View Post
Hi, I checked the thread you are talking about, but generally 95% of all the pictures are in a whole other class than what I am looking for.
Don't get overwhelmed by the scope of some of those rooms, I was just suggesting using the color palettes for inspiration, nothing more.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page