Help Setting Up New Theater W/My First PJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Help Setting Up New Theater W/My First PJ

Alright guys, I recently moved into a new home and am thrilled to have a finished basement and room I can dedicate to gaming/movies. Room is completely dark, no windows, is carpeted and painted by the builders but I will be painting it a flat dark color to aid in reducing reflections. Drop ceiling, I already painted the tiles flat black and am in the process of painting the rails (pain in the a*#!).
I have a brand new Yamaha Rx-v373, HD Cable Box and PS4 to be used in the room along with a few years old set of 5.1 Sony Surrounds (that to me sound fantastic) and a JBL (?) Ported Sub and I will more then likely get a 3D blu ray player unless they update the PS4 soon to work with 3D blu ray. I am not going for a pro theater here, just a high quality fun room to entertain friends and myself with.
The plan is to go with a BenQ W1070 shooting for a 100" screen size, on a reasonably priced fixed screen (remember dedicated room, no need to retract it). Now for you projector guru's here I could use tips and advice. Here are the details of the room...

Dimensions:

Width - 11.45 Feet (137.5")
Length - 14.66 Feet (176")
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

On the wall that will be the screen wall, if your looking at it there is an entry door on the right corner of the screen wall, which I will change to swing out of the room. On the back wall (seating area) I have a near new sectional that just happened to fit the back wall PERFECTLY so I will not be going for theater seating right now, this is a perfect comfortable way to seat up to 8 people.
For the nity gritty, being a drop ceiling I have already run 5.1 wiring in wall and terminated with banana clip wall plates and have mounted the rears, the fronts and center I will wait until I size out the screen. I am going with 100" because it will fill the screen wall nicely and leave me enough room on either side to mount the R and L speakers. In the ceiling, dead center width wise is a ceiling fan, that just happens to be the 8.4 feet from the screen wall that according to the calculator on BenQ's site is dead on where I want the projector to sit to throw the 100" screen, being that the room is nice and cool in the summer and warm in winter (central air) I plan on removing the fan and using the power feed to it for an outlet for the PJ.
My biggest two questions right now are how low off the ceiling should the PJ be mounted to provide me a screen at a comfortable viewing level from a couch that puts my seating at lets say 14 feet from the screen wall?
And that leads to my second question, will the projector being mounted from the ceiling approximately half way between the seating and screen be a big issue for the viewing experience or will it not matter? If I was to mount the PJ closer to the seating I would end up with a screen larger then I feel is necessary in the room/would take up more then the desired amount of the screen wall.
Anyone have any more tips for me on this? This will be my first projector so I am trying to plan this out properly. Thank you guys!

If anyone that can help needs pics or more details I will get whatever is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Crestwood,

Check projector central for throw distances and ceiling drops. http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

In looking at that link I see it puts the BenQ right in the middle of the screen height wise. Perhaps some of the owners here might have a recommendation.

On using ceiling fan power...just make sure the wall switch doesn't turn off the pj.

I'm confused too.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post
Hi Crestwood,

Check projector central for throw distances and ceiling drops. http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

In looking at that link I see it puts the BenQ right in the middle of the screen height wise. Perhaps some of the owners here might have a recommendation.

On using ceiling fan power...just make sure the wall switch doesn't turn off the pj.
My plan is to install one of those keyed switches in place of the current switch on the wall to make sure it does not get turned off.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Check local codes, but you should be able to take the switch out of the equation completely. You'll just need to leave the blank plate on the wall as you're not allowed to seal a junction. Again....best to check local codes or get professional advice.

I'm confused too.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post
Check local codes, but you should be able to take the switch out of the equation completely. You'll just need to leave the blank plate on the wall as you're not allowed to seal a junction. Again....best to check local codes or get professional advice.

Sometimes it's worth having a small local electrician come do a 1/2 day worth of wiring for you. I had a dedicated 20 amp line run in to my theater and some misc. items like this done at the same time.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Sometimes it's worth having a small local electrician come do a 1/2 day worth of wiring for you. I had a dedicated 20 amp line run in to my theater and some misc. items like this done at the same time.
Always an option as I have a friend that is a local electrician that has done work for me in the past, however my thinking on putting a locking switch in place of the current switch is because it would give me the option of cutting power completely to the PJ while I am either A: not using it for extended periods or B: want to shut down/unplug all of the equipment in the room during storms. I have a whole home surge system but still prefer to disconnect my equipment because it only takes a few minutes and is another layer of protection.
Am I wrong in thinking that is a good plan or would I be safe just having it removed?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page