Speakers behind the plasma tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speakers behind the plasma tv

Ok, now that this forum has talked me out of installing ceiling speakers for my home theater sound, would it be bad to install my front left and right speakers behind my tv? I realize that this would not be the most ideal place, but would the sound quality be ruined? I have a stone wall where my tv is placed, but it was designed for the tv, so there is roughly a 3 1/2' x 4 1/2' area on this wall where there is just sheet-rock (drywall) for the tv to be placed. The tv completely covers the drywall area and there is the stone wall surround it. I have a 60" plasma tv in this location. When I use my home theater for the sound, it currently comes from speakers that are on a rack system on an adjacent wall, which makes the sound weird, coming from the right, rather than from the tv area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguard29 View Post
Ok, now that this forum has talked me out of installing ceiling speakers for my home theater sound, would it be bad to install my front left and right speakers behind my tv? I realize that this would not be the most ideal place, but would the sound quality be ruined? I have a stone wall where my tv is placed, but it was designed for the tv, so there is roughly a 3 1/2' x 4 1/2' area on this wall where there is just sheet-rock (drywall) for the tv to be placed. The tv completely covers the drywall area and there is the stone wall surround it. I have a 60" plasma tv in this location. When I use my home theater for the sound, it currently comes from speakers that are on a rack system on an adjacent wall, which makes the sound weird, coming from the right, rather than from the tv area.
I think you received some audiophile snobbery in your previous questions about ceiling speakers in a home theater application. Sure, it's not the best choice, but sometimes other factors carry more weight in a household than "perfect fidelity". Burying the speakers behind the TV can't be the answer. Everything will be reflected sound, which is the absolute last thing you want for clear dialog and good channel separation. If you absolutely can't use surface mount speakers on top of the stone, and don't have space to place a passive sound bar under the display, that doesn't leave many choices, does it? (Buy an articulated TV mount to allow your plasma to be pulled out past the stone and mount a sound bar on it? 65" Plasma would require a pretty robust mount, at least if my family was living under it, but it could be done.)
I've heard several family room theater setups using a good quality ceiling speaker that allows you to tilt the entire driver so it is angled more toward your listening position, not straight down that were a big step up from the home theater in a box or sound bar. Many companies make models with a pivoting tweeter, which is better than nothing, but angling the entire output of the speaker towards your ears helps the overall sound. Proper positioning is key here, you need to take some time and figure out how far in front of your listening position they need to be placed to be aimed at your head. Then figure out how to get wire there.
If money is no object, Sonance or Triad offer some very nice sounding speakers in this category, but you are talking about spending $500 each or more. For something in a more budget friendly category, check out these from Yamaha. Available from many online outlets at less than $150 a pair.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...te/?mode=model

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 06-20-2014 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Is there room to hang a low-profile LCR speaker bar below the TV? There are brackets that can attach in-line with the TV mount so that the speaker can be suspended (instead of attached to the wall directly):

http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack.../dp/B0036UTT4E

For refernce, I've got a DefTech SSA3 passive LCR speaker bar in my bedroom setup mounted just under the TV and I'm quite happy with the quality. I just mounted it to the wall, though...

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-xtr-ssa3

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
I think you received some audiophile snobbery in your previous questions about ceiling speakers in a home theater application. Sure, it's not the best choice, but sometimes other factors carry more weight in a household than "perfect fidelity". Burying the speakers behind the TV can't be the answer. Everything will be reflected sound, which is the absolute last thing you want for clear dialog and good channel separation. If you absolutely can't use surface mount speakers on top of the stone, and don't have space to place a passive sound bar under the display, that doesn't leave many choices, does it? (Buy an articulated TV mount to allow your plasma to be pulled out past the stone and mount a sound bar on it? 65" Plasma would require a pretty robust mount, at least if my family was living under it, but it could be done.)
I've heard several family room theater setups using a good quality ceiling speaker that allows you to tilt the entire driver so it is angled more toward your listening position, not straight down that were a big step up from the home theater in a box or sound bar. Many companies make models with a pivoting tweeter, which is better than nothing, but angling the entire output of the speaker towards your ears helps the overall sound. Proper positioning is key here, you need to take some time and figure out how far in front of your listening position they need to be placed to be aimed at your head. Then figure out how to get wire there.
If money is no object, Sonance or Triad offer some very nice sounding speakers in this category, but you are talking about spending $500 each or more. For something in a more budget friendly category, check out these from Yamaha. Available from many online outlets at less than $150 a pair.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...te/?mode=model
Thanks for the insight Weaselfest.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Is there room to hang a low-profile LCR speaker bar below the TV? There are brackets that can attach in-line with the TV mount so that the speaker can be suspended (instead of attached to the wall directly):

http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack.../dp/B0036UTT4E

For refernce, I've got a DefTech SSA3 passive LCR speaker bar in my bedroom setup mounted just under the TV and I'm quite happy with the quality. I just mounted it to the wall, though...

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-xtr-ssa3

Jeff
The soundbar with the soundbar hanger is an option. Do soundbars provide good home theater sound?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
The soundbar with the soundbar hanger is an option. Do soundbars provide good home theater sound?
I was suggesting a "speaker bar" - aka the Left/Center/Right speakers all in one package, but still connected to an AV Receiver and with separate surround speakers mounted elsewhere (ceiling / wall / otherwise).

Those will perform better, IMO, than in-ceiling LCR speakers - but that is also highly dependent on the quality of the speakers used in comparison, too.

Soundbars (self-contained, powered units with "artificial" surround sound) will vary greatly in their performance and functionality depending on how the source(s) attach and what the capabilities of the TV are (since the TV may be in the audio chain for a soundbar setup).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy for advice, but didn't feel that they were really any more educated about this stuff than I am. I did listen to their $1300 Sony 7.1 soundbar and wasn't all that impressed, especially for the cost. I decided to attach some pictures, so this forum may have a better understanding of my layout. I am still completely up in the air about using ceiling speakers, or a sound bar. I could even mount my Polk speakers to the upper (sides) part of the wall, adjacent to the fireplace wall. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Living Room.jpg (53.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Living Room 2.jpg (77.0 KB, 19 views)
post #8 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for the pix, helps show the situation far easier. If the ceiling fan is staying, ceiling speakers for your front channels are out of the question.
Jautor reinforced my idea of a sound bar speaker, but one that is powered by your receiver, not some feeble all in one thing.
Check out this model from Polk. Contains speakers for your front left, right and center, connects to your receiver, then maybe ceiling speakers, or some small satellites on stands right behind the couch. Newegg features a clever mount that will let you hang this off the same VESA holes as your wall mounting hardware. You may need to buy some longer screws (probably metric thread) and some washers to bolt the whole works together, but it would be a clean looking solution.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290267

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 06-23-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why can't you wall mount the fronts just off the stone wall pointing towards the sitting position and hang a center speaker off the TV?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Aesthetically, I think a soundbar would look much cleaner. I have to have the girlfriends approval, and she is not a big fan of me having exposed speakers hanging off the wall, especially the stone wall.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Aesthetically, I think a soundbar would look much cleaner. I have to have the girlfriends approval, and she is not a big fan of me having exposed speakers hanging off the wall, especially the stone wall.
I was thinking of hanging them on the dry wall sections to either side of the stone so you don't mess up your stone look. If you look at this picture of my system (STILL IN PROGRESS OF SETTING UP) of the surround you could hang 2 up high and those supports can pan and tilt as needed. In my opinion these will out preform soundbars. Just my two cents. More info on the mounts here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, a soundbar will probably be the cleanest look except for in ceilings which I wouldn't rule out. If the aesthetics of not having speakers visible I would seriously look into this. Go to a store where you can listen to some. Some in ceilings can tilt the whole speaker or just the tweeters towards the sitting position.

Last edited by smarcus3; 06-25-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page