Let's Talk "Gear Spacing" and the Like... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-21-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Let's Talk "Gear Spacing" and the Like...

My main 5.1 setup is centered around this beautiful piece we got via Ashley Furniture:




I wanted to talk about gear spacing in this piece and get some feedback from you folks based on my equipment and where it's placed -- first of all, as you can see, there is a TON of possible storage space in this thing, even taking into consideration that my wife has used the entire left tower to fill with collectables, etc. My gear consists merely of an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player and HD cable box (no game controllers or anything else), and I have these pieces arranged as follows in this wall unit/entertainment center:

- Onkyo sits on bottom shelf of the RIGHT pier/tower cabinet (not the VERY bottom cabinet)

- OPPO sits on the glass shelf above it, so there is a TON of open space between the receiver and this player (good for ventilation)

- Cable box sits in the center low cabinet on the top shelf (where it looks like there's a DVD player in silver or something like that in the picture)

So, as you can tell, there is a ton of room still available in this unit but save for maybe adding a power amp or two down the road, which I had planned to store in that very bottom cabinet beneath the receiver, I don't have anything else to fill the spaces up with gear wise...

My question is this: Is it "alright" that there's so much "gap" between the receiver that sits in the right side tower/cabinet on the bottom shelf and the Blu-ray player above it on the next shelf? Gear doesn't HAVE to look as though it's installed "tight" and on top of each other, does it?

Some more to ponder: Is there another place you'd suggest I move the AVR and Blu-ray player to? My wife wanted that right pier/tower cabinet of the entertainment center to herself to add more collectibles (she says it "balances" the unit when both sides have collectibles instead of seeing the electronics on the right) but she understood that I wanted the electronics to be visible and also that I preferred the disc player in particular to be at EYE LEVEL and chest height when I approach, because I HATE having to bend down to put a disc in the tray if the player was installed lower...

That said, I COULD move the receiver and BD player to that lower two-shelf cabinet at the bottom right of the pier/tower (there were hole cutout provisions from the manufacturer there with the assumption electronics would go in there) so that way the receiver would "fill" the space much better and the BD player would appear to sit almost on top of it on the shelf above, if that makes any sense...

I also had the option to stack everything in that center low cabinet, where the cable box is now, so all three components would sit on top of one another in there...but I just didn't like that look when I visualized it...

What do you think? Anyone have any thoughts?


Last edited by IntelliVolume; 06-21-2014 at 03:43 PM.
IntelliVolume is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Wow... I thought I was anal retentive.

Mine have to be as symmetrical as possible. My wife understands my love of right angles...

Doesn't really matter where you put them as long as you like it and the wife approves.
UGAd13 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 06-21-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
Wow... I thought I was anal retentive.

LMFAO...I just thought it would make for some good discussion with other like-minded gear/HT freaks; I always look at the wall unit and think "should I do something else with it?"


You know what I mean...

Quote:
Mine have to be as symmetrical as possible. My wife understands my love of right angles...

Don't wanna know where that one is goin'...but do you mean you need to have the larger components on bottom and then smaller as they stack? Do you have any pics of your setup?

Quote:
Doesn't really matter where you put them as long as you like it and the wife approves.

But should they stack on top of each other to look "more impressive" and have a cabinet or stand "fill out" better, or is it alright to space them as dramatically as I have?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
UGAd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yup, I know what you mean. It doesn't really matter what a bunch of knuckleheads on a forum think. Having the bd player at eye level would drive me nuts for example.

But, I'd have all the gear under the tv. AVR in the middle (assuming the shelves are adjustable), then probably cable box and oppo on the right side, smaller one on top. Leaves the left side open to show off your favorite movies or other knick knacks.
UGAd13 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
It doesn't really matter what a bunch of knuckleheads on a forum think.

What are you doing here then?


Quote:
Having the bd player at eye level would drive me nuts for example.

Why? Just curious...


To me, it's much easier to "access" the tray of the player to insert a disc when standing than if the player was near the floor...

Quote:
But, I'd have all the gear under the tv. AVR in the middle (assuming the shelves are adjustable), then probably cable box and oppo on the right side, smaller one on top. Leaves the left side open to show off your favorite movies or other knick knacks.

Hmmm...interesting assessment; the shelves are adjustable in that below-the-TV cabinet (where my cable box is now and where they're showing the silver DVD player in the image I provided) but those smaller areas to the direct left and right of the center will NOT accommodate average width electronics...I measured...so those are out for storing the gear...


Also -- the "left" side you're referring to for leaving open for movie showcasing...is that the left "pier/tower cabinet" piece? If so, that's already taken with my wife's collectibles on display...and my film collection is already in a bookcase against the wall near the entertainment unit...


Last edited by IntelliVolume; 06-21-2014 at 07:31 PM.
IntelliVolume is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
weaselfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Home of the Hawkeyes
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The issue you are glossing over is thermal management. Your Onkyo receiver and cable box will generate a lot of heat that has to be dissipated somewhere or you're killing the longevity of your equipment. The last thing you would want to do is stack all the gear in one section. You want at least 3" of air space above your amplification and cable box and a path for that heat to escape.
The other factor to consider is ergonomics, which you already touched on with the idea on not wanting to stoop over or get on one knee to load discs. Your receiver doesn't have to touched that often if the remote pickup still works in a lower cavity. Sounds like the cabinet has some openings in the lower section for electronics. Do the top sections have any opening in the back panel, or is the cavity pretty much sealed with the door closed?
I'd leave the cable box where it's at, move the receiver to the lower left or lower right and then move the BD player down one shelf so it would be less conspicuous for your wife, but still very accessible. Check the IR receiver location on the bluray to make sure the door frame doesn't block it. This will probably require some longer cabling between components, if you don't already have some slack to work with, but puts the components in less predominant locations while still being visible.

underachiever extraordinaire

Last edited by weaselfest; 06-22-2014 at 05:11 AM.
weaselfest is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
The issue you are glossing over is thermal management.

I'm not really glossing over it, hence why I pointed out the fact that the receiver is sitting alone on the bottom shelf of the right pier/cabinet/tower piece with a TON of space above it, with the Blu-ray player sitting on the glass shelf above that...


Quote:
Your Onkyo receiver and cable box will generate a lot of heat that has to be dissipated somewhere or you're killing the longevity of your equipment. The last thing you would want to do is stack all the gear in one section. You want at least 3" of air space above your amplification and cable box and a path for that heat to escape.

Right -- and right now, the cable box is alone in that bottom center section below the display with room on top to ventilate, while the receiver sits alone in the that right side display tower cabinet...there is a ton of open space above the Onkyo...


But thank you for confirming the "stack on top of one another" element; for some reason it just looks more "complete" that way to me...


Quote:
The other factor to consider is ergonomics, which you already touched on with the idea on not wanting to stoop over or get on one knee to load discs. Your receiver doesn't have to touched that often if the remote pickup still works in a lower cavity. Sounds like the cabinet has some openings in the lower section for electronics. Do the top sections have any opening in the back panel, or is the cavity pretty much sealed with the door closed?

Yes, I would much rather have the disc player definitely at EYE level and waist level when I approach so I don't have to bend down to put discs in the tray...just a pet peeve. That said, there ARE wire cutouts (no full open back openings) in the tower pier pieces on the bottom shelf (where my Onkyo sits now) so the manufacturer of the wall unit (Ashley) must have assumed someone would put something electronic there; the very bottom cabinets have holes for wires too.


Quote:
I'd leave the cable box where it's at, move the receiver to the lower left or lower right and then move the BD player down one shelf so it would be less conspicuous for your wife, but still very accessible. Check the IR receiver location on the bluray to make sure the door frame doesn't block it. This will probably require some longer cabling between components, if you don't already have some slack to work with, but puts the components in less predominant locations while still being visible.

I agree on the cable box and shall leave it there. However, with regard to the Blu-ray player and receiver, I see what you're saying but I think that would look even more awkward -- moving the BD player down a shelf to where the receiver is now and then moving the AVR down to the very lower cabinet...it would seem strange for the player to sit alone in that really big bottom alcove of the tower cabinet. And, the thing is, my wife doesn't really mind the stuff where it is now, as she has come to understand that I don't want to keep the components very low, she just originally said the wall unit would "balance" better with the electronics down below...still, I never liked EVERYTHING towards or near the floor...

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Can anyone else lend any insight/opinion here with this entertainment unit?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
All I'm really looking for is some feedback/insight as to whether or not other people prefer their components at eye level (well, at least source components like disc players) or whether it would seem "better" to move my AVR and BD player to the very bottom of the unit (on the right side) so there's less "slack" and open space above the components as there is now (they're in the right side "tower" portion of the unit, with the receiver on the bottom level and the BD player on the shelf way above it)...


Anyone have any aesthetic input/insight?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Anyone?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
weaselfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Home of the Hawkeyes
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
ergonomics should out weigh aesthetics. don't place your disc player where you have to get on your hands and knees to load it if you don't have to.
of course, these decisions may have a lot to do with the conditions of your knees.

underachiever extraordinaire
weaselfest is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thank you, Weasel, for returning to this thread and lending some more insight; it's appreciated in the wake of what appears to be intentional lack of member interest (I'll just leave it at that)...


Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
ergonomics should out weigh aesthetics. don't place your disc player where you have to get on your hands and knees to load it if you don't have to.
of course, these decisions may have a lot to do with the conditions of your knees.

LOL, I understand what you mean about the "conditions of one's knees;" I just never preferred having to lean all the way down, almost to floor level, to load a disc...even if it was a CD player/changer...I've always kept such "source components" at eye or waist level. The thing is, I see so many people's systems (in pictures) which suggest all their gear is towards the very bottom of cabinets...the source decks, the receivers/amps, the power conditioners et al, and I always wondered why that is (unless, of course, it's more of a TV stand/cabinet that sits alone without "side piers" like my wall unit has). It would seem to me that most people would prefer to be able to access their players at eye level so they're not bending down to switch out a disc; though as you can see from one member's comments in this thread, some find it "annoying" (that is, he mentioned leaving a Blu-ray player at eye level would "drive him nuts" though I'm not sure why).


At any rate, are you ultimately suggesting that it's okay for me to leave the receiver on that bottom shelf of the right tower pier of the entertainment center -- with a ton of space above it -- and leave the Blu-ray player on the glass shelf above it? There's no "worry" about gear being so "greatly spaced apart" like that?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
weaselfest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Home of the Hawkeyes
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I fall back to my original point: Onkyo receivers generate a lot of heat. The more space you can provide above to help dissipate it, the better. As far as how far apart they are, until you start talking dozens or hundreds of feet, I wouldn't be concerned. Make sure your cables aren't putting strain on their jacks, and don't bundle low voltage with high (120V electrical).

underachiever extraordinaire
weaselfest is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post
I fall back to my original point: Onkyo receivers generate a lot of heat.

Yes, this I know; especially the model 605 which I own...


Am I to take it no one should ever really "directly stack" something upon a receiver's top plate?


Quote:
The more space you can provide above to help dissipate it, the better. As far as how far apart they are, until you start talking dozens or hundreds of feet, I wouldn't be concerned.

I see; no, for sure they're not dozens or hundreds of feet apart...lol...


Quote:
Make sure your cables aren't putting strain on their jacks, and don't bundle low voltage with high (120V electrical).

I do have my cables out back bundled together in certain ways as I was having a humming issue some time back (I since rewired and rebundled, as best I could, power lines with power lines and signal cables with signal cables and such); unfortunately, there is some strain on my HDMI ports because of the way the stupid holes in the back of the entertainment center have been punched by the manufacturer (I had the area behind the AVR cut out a bit more so all cables could snake through) but that's about it in terms of connectivity issues...

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Am I to take it no one should ever really "directly stack" something upon a receiver's top plate?
Correct. Nor should you put it into an enclosed cabinet with a door without providing additional (active) air circulation. There are lots of easy solutions to that problem, but you have to plan for it...

The "air space" above receivers and such are to allow for passive cooling (hot air rising and all that). Put any heat-generating device into a closed box, or otherwise restrict normal convection, and you're asking for trouble...


Jeff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jautor is online now  
post #16 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Correct. Nor should you put it into an enclosed cabinet with a door without providing additional (active) air circulation. There are lots of easy solutions to that problem, but you have to plan for it...

The "air space" above receivers and such are to allow for passive cooling (hot air rising and all that). Put any heat-generating device into a closed box, or otherwise restrict normal convection, and you're asking for trouble...


Jeff

Thanks Jeff...


Appreciate the added input; indeed, my receiver is behind a glass door of a cabinet in my wall unit but this door always remains open when the receiver is in operation...it still gets hot, but there's definitely heat escaping with the cabinet door open; is this alright?


Additionally -- do you think it's "okay" to leave a receiver with nothing else on top of it so its vents don't get blocked even though it makes the unit look a little...well..."naked" and "unimpressive" when you look at it...if you know what I mean? Especially if the receiver isn't a "flagship" type that's tall and bulky; this can make the unit look specifically smaller and "insignificant"...

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Also Jeff --


I took a gander through your theater pics...wow, very impressive; like others, I am extremely jealous being that I have only a TV as a video display system and a mere AVR and BD player...


I noticed that in your gear list you mentioned an Oppo BDP-83 (which I own as well) but in your pics it looks like a newer-model Oppo, not the 83...did you upgrade the player since you made this list?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Appreciate the added input; indeed, my receiver is behind a glass door of a cabinet in my wall unit but this door always remains open when the receiver is in operation...it still gets hot, but there's definitely heat escaping with the cabinet door open; is this alright?
Probably, but I would solve the issue by adding some fans to push/pull (one each) air through the rear of that cabinet assuming it's not open. You can power the fans from a switched outlet (if your AVR has one). I certainly wouldn't want to have to keep the glass doors open all the time - especially not as nice as the setup looks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Additionally -- do you think it's "okay" to leave a receiver with nothing else on top of it so its vents don't get blocked even though it makes the unit look a little...well..."naked" and "unimpressive" when you look at it...if you know what I mean? Especially if the receiver isn't a "flagship" type that's tall and bulky; this can make the unit look specifically smaller and "insignificant"...
It's a square black box, no one is going to notice or care how "big" it is. And yes, it's more than ok, it's very much the correct way to stack these - nothing should be on top of an AVR with top vents, and there should be several inches of clearance above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I took a gander through your theater pics...wow, very impressive; like others, I am extremely jealous being that I have only a TV as a video display system and a mere AVR and BD player...
We all started there... Be happy you have that much - it's a better setup than most folks have, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I noticed that in your gear list you mentioned an Oppo BDP-83 (which I own as well) but in your pics it looks like a newer-model Oppo, not the 83...did you upgrade the player since you made this list?
It's the 93 not the 83 - if I said 83 in that thread somewhere it's a typo (I couldn't find that typo). So yes, a newer version than the 83, but not as new as the 103.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jautor is online now  
post #19 of 25 Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Probably, but I would solve the issue by adding some fans to push/pull (one each) air through the rear of that cabinet assuming it's not open. You can power the fans from a switched outlet (if your AVR has one). I certainly wouldn't want to have to keep the glass doors open all the time - especially not as nice as the setup looks...

Oh, but that one door ONLY remains open when we're watching a film at night -- so I can load the Blu-ray or DVD and then sit down and press the CLOSE/OPEN button on the remote to prepare for the start of the presentation; the open door definitely doesn't bother me especially with the lights turned off...you don't even notice the door is open, really...


This door -- and the others in the wall unit -- do not remain open when the home theater system isn't in use.

Quote:
It's a square black box, no one is going to notice or care how "big" it is. And yes, it's more than ok, it's very much the correct way to stack these - nothing should be on top of an AVR with top vents, and there should be several inches of clearance above.

Thanks for your feedback here...

Quote:
We all started there... Be happy you have that much - it's a better setup than most folks have, period.

The sad thing is though...I'm far, really, from a true novice in the hobby...at this point I should be running a giant projection screen, massive monoblock amps and a separate processor...the thing is, we have never had the income to do better than what we have and our needs never really dictated that massive power amps were "necessary" (heck, we don't turn up our 90-watt-per-channel AVR all that high because my wife doesn't care for the audio to be blaring)...it's just that all those "black boxes" sure do look great in a rack...

Quote:
It's the 93 not the 83 - if I said 83 in that thread somewhere it's a typo (I couldn't find that typo). So yes, a newer version than the 83, but not as new as the 103.

Got-cha; yeah, I figured it was the 93...I could tell from the faceplate...

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
good info,The last thing you would want to do is stack all the gear in one section. You want at least 3" of air space above your amplification and cable box and a path for that heat to escape.thank you

Thanks, and understood; the thing is, I have WAY more than three inches of space above my amplification source and I'm wondering if that just looks "naked" and/or "odd"...


If you can imagine this, based on the original picture of my wall unit entertainment center I provided in my first post: The receiver sits on the RIGHT side of the unit on the BOTTOM shelf of that taller tower pier piece that has all the collectibles in it in that picture...it's not in the VERY bottom cabinet with the two shelves you see...so there's all that space above the receiver until the glass shelf that holds the Blu-ray player...


Is this alright aesthetically?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Probably, but I would solve the issue by adding some fans to push/pull (one each) air through the rear of that cabinet assuming it's not open. You can power the fans from a switched outlet (if your AVR has one). I certainly wouldn't want to have to keep the glass doors open all the time - especially not as nice as the setup looks...



It's a square black box, no one is going to notice or care how "big" it is. And yes, it's more than ok, it's very much the correct way to stack these - nothing should be on top of an AVR with top vents, and there should be several inches of clearance above.



We all started there... Be happy you have that much - it's a better setup than most folks have, period.



It's the 93 not the 83 - if I said 83 in that thread somewhere it's a typo (I couldn't find that typo). So yes, a newer version than the 83, but not as new as the 103.

Jautor,


When you get a chance, can you reply to my explanation with regard to leaving the glass doors open only when using the system? I wanted your feedback on that...because you mentioned you wouldn't leave the doors open all the time...


What about if we leave the door open only when the receiver is in use?

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
What about if we leave the door open only when the receiver is in use?
Well, it's probably fine - but getting the "we" to always do that can be a problem. You might remember, other people may not.

Again, not how I would do it since there are relatively inexpensive solutions for cabinet cooling.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jautor is online now  
post #23 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Well, it's probably fine - but getting the "we" to always do that can be a problem. You might remember, other people may not.

I'm not following you here, still...


Oh, do you mean other family members that may leave the door closed? No worries there, if that is what you mean; I'm the only one who operates the home theater, and we don't have any kids...

Quote:
Again, not how I would do it since there are relatively inexpensive solutions for cabinet cooling.

Oh, but I can assure you -- plenty of hot air escapes from this area when the door remains open during usage...you can actually feel it as you approach the cabinet when shutting down the system...

IntelliVolume is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well,The last thing you would want to do is stack all the gear in one section. You want at least 3" of air space above your amplification and cable box and a path for that heat to escape.[IMG]http://*******/Wdbwyv[/IMG]thanks

Last edited by lacelogide; 09-05-2014 at 11:32 PM.
lacelogide is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacelogide View Post
well,The last thing you would want to do is stack all the gear in one section. You want at least 3" of air space above your amplification and cable box and a path for that heat to escape.[IMG]http://*******/Wdbwyv[/IMG]thanks

Didn't you post like three posts up or so? Your original response was erased...

IntelliVolume is offline  
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off