Coaster theater chairs - kids don't like - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Coaster theater chairs - kids don't like

I have a projector and fixed screen setup in my basement. I bought 3 Coaster chairs a few yrs ago and my teenage kids and wife wont sit in them, they've hardly been used. They lay blankets on the floor and use lots of pillows. They think a comfy couch (maybe a sectional) would be better. What the heck, I give. Anyone out there had the same experience? Suggestions?

I bought 3 since the width of the room limits me to just 86" (i think).

Last edited by gman76; 06-21-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
We don't like HT chairs in our home either. We just went to a local furniture store and bought a nice fluffy, deep couch. And of course the matching loveseat too . . .
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman76 View Post
I have a projector and fixed screen setup in my basement. I bought 3 Coaster chairs a few yrs ago and my teenage kids and wife wont sit in them, they've hardly been used. They lay blankets on the floor and use lots of pillows. They think a comfy couch (maybe a sectional) would be better. What the heck, I give. Anyone out there had the same experience? Suggestions?

I bought 3 since the width of the room limits me to just 86" (i think).
I've used both and I would never go back to a sectional after using theater specific chairs. My two cents, but clearly you need to keep the family happy.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Part of my family is the same way, so in the basement we have a mix of chairs and a couch to keep everyone happy.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Part of my family is the same way, so in the basement we have a mix of chairs and a couch to keep everyone happy.
What is it they don't like??? I have 4 theater seats in my basement and people have done paper rocks scissors to be able to sit in one.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To answer g_bartman, I don't know what they don't like about the HT chairs...but, here is what I think/know:

I keep it about 69 degrees in the basement and they (my girls) claim the cloth chairs and couch are warmer. Also, my kids are used to the cloth chairs since that is what they have in their "media room" while my wife is used to leather in the family room, so she goes for the HT chairs in the basement with me.

The kids like to lay down during the movies so they fight over the couch while my wife and I fall asleep if we take the couch.

I notice that when guys come over they go for the HT chairs and when the kids have friends (girls) over they often go for the cloth chairs or couch, but I don't have a large enough sampling to say it is a gender thing.

It could be a size thing, both me and my wife fit in the larger HT chairs better than the skinny kids.

As the only male in the house, I have given up on why the rest of the family does what they do. From watching low def on 70 inch TV when most channels are in HD to them watching Honey BooBoo. This is why we have multiple media areas and three DVRs.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post

As the only male in the house, I have given up on why the rest of the family does what they do. From watching low def on 70 inch TV when most channels are in HD to them watching Honey BooBoo. This is why we have multiple media areas and three DVRs.

Lol! Same for me, and is nice to have a basement HT to retreat to when the ladies are watching lodef crap on our 70" in the family room.

Have you tried leaving throws on the seating? My theater is usually sub 70 but I have microfiber chairs so are not cold. My youngest is 8 and we have her friends, and younger siblings, in the room all the time and size is not an issue. I think it is just the cold retaining in your leather. Good luck!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page