• 1 Post By Fanman155mph

post #1 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Subwoofers

Hello all,
Not sure how to do this so I'll start with what I have.
8 year old DTS Yamaha, Adcom 200watt per channel, MK S100 and I had MK V100s for subs plus rear Bi-POs.
I replaced the MK subs with a Def supercube3 and it quit for the 2nd time. So on the spot I went to Bestbuy, the highend part and bought a close out REL 528se for $2,150 and now I think I could get alot more sub for that kind of money. My question is... What sub would be better with more punch and still have a flat response. I'm using the pre-out LFE to power the sub. Some choices are: keep the sub I have or, the Velodyne Optimum Series 12-Inch, or the Sunfire TSEQ12 True Subwoofer EQ 12 Signature... Any thoughts... I have 5 days left to return the REL 528se ... Thanks for reading....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Why are you just considering B&M offerings?

ps $2150 for that Rel is a bargain? Saw something you said in the Rel thread but am not familiar with their stuff except that it seems overpriced and has a following of people for the wrong reasons....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Last edited by lovinthehd; 06-22-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Why are you just considering B&M offerings?

ps $2150 for that Rel is a bargain? Saw something you said in the Rel thread but am not familiar with their stuff except that it seems overpriced and has a following of people for the wrong reasons....
B&M? Guess I'm out of touch... Sunfire and Velodyne is not B&M I thought... Also I may just keep the REL but I started thinking I may be about alot more bang for the buck..
post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

What's strange and I never knew.. REL was designed to run with full spectrum speakers from what I have read.... The 528SE I have now sounds great but if you wanted to turn it up beyond normal .. you can't so it seems... like it's set to run the output level 3/4 or more on the LFE input.. seems strange to me.

Last edited by Fanman155mph; 06-22-2014 at 09:24 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanman155mph View Post
B&M? Guess I'm out of touch... Sunfire and Velodyne is not B&M I thought... Also I may just keep the REL but I started thinking I may be about alot more bang for the buck..
B&M = Brick & Mortar. ID = Internet Direct

Better choices IMHO are ID these days altho some of the traditional B&M sub guys are starting to wake up a bit. Then there's DIY and AIY choices which can be a better value depending on your requirements and time available....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
B&M = Brick & Mortar. ID = Internet Direct

Better choices IMHO are ID these days altho some of the traditional B&M sub guys are starting to wake up a bit. Then there's DIY and AIY choices which can be a better value depending on your requirements and time available....
Thank you again for the response/opinion.... I went to a B&M to get it now as my old sub failed without warning... Now I think I payed too much and so forth.. The Sunfire/Carver sub is listed on ebay for $1,425 and includes shipping.. model is TS-EQ12 ... any more thoughts? Thanks..
post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you again for the response/opinion.... I went to a B&M to get it now as my old sub failed without warning... Now I think I payed too much and so forth.. The Sunfire/Carver sub is listed on ebay for $1,425 and includes shipping.. model is TS-EQ12 ... any more thoughts? Thanks..
Look at Power Sound Audio, SVS Sound, Rythmik, Hsu and Reaction Audio for starters for some ID offerings at various price points and in sealed or ported offerings. What size room are you using? Is it sealed or open to other areas? Are you open to using dual subs?

post #8 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Look at Power Sound Audio, SVS Sound, Rythmik, Hsu and Reaction Audio for starters for some ID offerings at various price points and in sealed or ported offerings. What size room are you using? Is it sealed or open to other areas? Are you open to using dual subs?
room is 14' by 20'
Open doorway to kitchen
Dual subs is cool....
I like sealed subs as I think they sound tighter
What do think of that 12" Sunfire Sub with 2,700watts?

Thanks again..

Last edited by Fanman155mph; 06-23-2014 at 06:54 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
room is 14' by 20'
Open doorway to kitchen
Dual subs is cool....
I like sealed subs as I think they sound tighter
What do think of that 12" Sunfire Sub with 2,700watts?

Thanks again..
I don't think much of Sunfire products at all since Bob Carver's departure and my only experience was a friend who had one of the original Sunfire subs but later had amp problems, it did sound nice but I hadn't much experience with subs back then.

There are excellent ported subs as well as sealed, design and execution go further than a general type. The top of the heap of the ID sealed subs IMHO is the Seaton Submersive HP and multiples would be an awesome way to go.

Your space isn't particularly large at 2240 cuft, assuming an 8 ft height, but depends on how large that door opening is and the size of the kitchen as well. Ported designs can often provide higher output and lower extension in larger open spaces than a sealed sub can. An excellent ported design with good output and extension is the Rythmik FV15HP.

I should also mention JTR Speakers subs, the Captivator is very well thought of around here. Also Funk Audio http://funkaudio.ca/ for consideration, some beautiful cabinet options on top of great performance...but will be a bit pricier. There's some great AIY & DIY options too if you want....

You might want to look at some of the testing and information here http://www.data-bass.com/home; Josh Ricci is the main 3rd party tester out there for subs (and a member of these forums and audioholics.com also).

post #10 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think much of Sunfire products at all since Bob Carver's departure and my only experience was a friend who had one of the original Sunfire subs but later had amp problems, it did sound nice but I hadn't much experience with subs back then.

There are excellent ported subs as well as sealed, design and execution go further than a general type. The top of the heap of the ID sealed subs IMHO is the Seaton Submersive HP and multiples would be an awesome way to go.

Your space isn't particularly large at 2240 cuft, assuming an 8 ft height, but depends on how large that door opening is and the size of the kitchen as well. Ported designs can often provide higher output and lower extension in larger open spaces than a sealed sub can. An excellent ported design with good output and extension is the Rythmik FV15HP.

I should also mention JTR Speakers subs, the Captivator is very well thought of around here. Also Funk Audio http://funkaudio.ca/ for consideration, some beautiful cabinet options on top of great performance...but will be a bit pricier. There's some great AIY & DIY options too if you want....

You might want to look at some of the testing and information here http://www.data-bass.com/home; Josh Ricci is the main 3rd party tester out there for subs (and a member of these forums and audioholics.com also).
I wanted to thank you.. I spoke with the owner (Brian, very helpful) of Rythmik and he thought the F15HP sealed sub would be a good setup for me as I also listen to a lot of music and I like the smaller cabinet for the space I have.... I may buy a 2nd sub down the road.... Again thank you for getting me back on track..
lovinthehd likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If I have $2000 for a sub I am getting a Seaton Submersive.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page