Need help picking Theatre Room Projection Equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Need help picking Theatre Room Projection Equipment

I apologize if this is not the proper forum to ask this.

But as the title says, I'm in the need for some assistance deciding on what theatre components to use.

I am in the process of building a theatre room in my new home.

The Room is 18'x16'.

I would like to have a curved screen. The screen I looked at was 61"x131".

To make a long story short here guys, I have absolutely zero knowledge of Projectors, Screens, an Lens's.

I am limiting myself to a $5,000 budget for this theatre room.

What I want out of this theatre room is this

1. Best picture quality I can buy for my budget
2. Largest Picture size I can have given my 18'x16' room.
3. Able to play Xbox One games on it.
4. User friendly. I'm not a tech genius and I don't care to learn much about it. I want my wife to be able to turn it on, put in a movie and enjoy it, without having to call me and ask questions I probably wont be able to answer.

My $5,000 budget is strictly for the components. I.E; Screen, cables, projector.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got an Epson 6030UB and a JKP Dalite 110 16x9 screen for around that figure. So far I am very happy with it.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
suggest 60% projector, 30% screen 10% mounting hardware and cabling, including any electrical, if DIY.
Is there an audio component to this system?

underachiever extraordinaire
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I already have audio.

I'm just not sure what to buy.

Currently I'm wanting to buy 58"x104", curved fixed screen from elite Screens(lunette).

What I want to know is do I need a special glass type deal in front of my projector to make the screen fit(since its curved).

Or do I just pick a specific projector that works for curved screens?

I want 1080p quality obviously. Or whatever you call it with a projector..
Old 07-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Curved screens are usually installed to accommodate the distortions incurred by the use of an anamorphic lens to achieve 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Using a conventional 16x9 projector on a curved screen may induce the very distortions it is designed to correct. Check this thread out for more insight on curved screens and their proper applications.
How to Determine Proper 2.35:1 Screen Curvature

underachiever extraordinaire
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
OK, let's look into this from a number of ways.

First, are you talking a single row? Does that mean you plan to have the chairs back 16' from the screen? It is best not to place them right against the back wall from an acoustic standpoint. If it is 2 rows (marginal with your room), you will need to calculate riser height. It also means that the bottom of the screen needs to be higher so it doesn't get cut off for the second row.

What is your ceiling height? Most screen decisions are either width or height limited.

Are you looking at acoustic transparent? Basically, where do you plan to place your speakers? If it is in front or below the screen, this will limit screen size. If it is behind, you will lose a couple feet of room depth.

You seem to be talking 2.35, but you say the primary purpose is XBOX. This is in conflict as pretty much all XBOX stuff is 16:9. Either case is a compromise. You either letterbox 2.35 material in a 16:9 screen or you vertical letterbox 16:9 material on a 2.35 screen. You need to decide which is your primary mode and choose to optimize that.

Assuming a primary XBOX usage and sitting 16' back with an 8' ceiling, I'd go 135-140" 16:9 screen. In addition to Elite, look at the Jamestown screens. Your budget can accommodate an AT screen in that size, and that would give more flexibility.

Most projectors in your price range now have ways to accommodate 2.35 material in full resolution. Look into the step up projectors from Epson, Panasonic and others and investigate how they handle this. Anamorphic lenses are tricky to install and use and are very pricy. Investigate the digital solutions first.

Look into a good universal remote, such as a Harmony. I use these in all my setups, and they work wonders for family friendlyness. They are activity based and you press a button that says "Watch TV" which turns on the projector, audio and cable box, then selects the proper source from the receiver and assigns the proper buttons for the DVR, volume, mute, etc. Different buttons for XBOX, BluRay, etc. It takes a bit to set up with a computer, but usage is very intuitive.

Be sure to include paint and sound deadening in your room budget. I have my ceiling and screen wall in a dark indigo with the side walls 2 shades lighter. This was the single biggest improvement I made to the room after my initial light blocking. Make sure the room is carpeted and that there is some sort of soft wall coverings in the front. The dark paint kills screen reflections, and the soft covering helps tune the audio.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I would argue you don't need a curved screen in your setup. Like weaselfest said, it's really for scope viewing.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. A lot of good info I appreciate it!

Let me clarify though.

I want this to be strictly for watching movies. I THOUGHT, that a curved screen would make you feel like you were in the movie(from what I read), which is the reason I wanted to get one. If its more a hassle to deal with a curved screen, then I absolutely will be just getting a fixed frame flat screen.

My ceiling height is 8'. From back of wall to front, it is 17'8". Unfinished and 16' wide. I plan on putting speakers behind the screen, and finish framing all around it. So basically the TV will look like its built right into the wall.

My Speakers are going to be a 7.1 Klipsch set up. Its what I have and I think it sounds great. I have a 10" sub that I'm planning on putting in the left corner behind the screen, and the tower speakers behind the screen, and the front speaker also behind the screen in the front. 2 Surround speakers in the rear, and 2 book shelf speakers in the middle of the room.

My plan was to build a 6" platform "L" shaped and put in the rear left corner of the room, and add 2 lazy boy type chairs in the middle of the room. I might have to change up my furniture, as I am thinking the people sitting on the couch will not be able to see the bottom of the screen. I'll find out more when I start framing and get a better idea in person.

So back to my question.

My main reason for this room is to watch movies, and have it look movie theatre quality. If I cant play xbox games on it I don't care, I have a 70" aquos quatron that works great for playing games.

So I am looking for the largest screen I can have for the size of my room (8' height, 17'x16'), and the best projector I can buy for my budget of $5,000.

Problem is my best source is bestbuy... I don't know anyone who has a projector/screen combo so I am really out of my element here.

If you had $5,000.....and my room, what Projector..and screen would you buy?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, let's take a look at the Jamestown site, which seems to have good bang for the buck right now.
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/screens.html

I am looking at the 150" 16:9 and 2.35 screens
Both are available in AT versions using the Stewart 4k material. Good stuff.

16:9 - 150" viewable 74" by 132", total with framing of 81" by 139"

2.35:1 - 150" viewable 59" by 138" and total with framing of 66" by 145"

That says both screens are about 11-12 feet wide.
The 16:9 is about 6' high (viewable area) and the 2.35 is about 5' (viewable area)
You probably can't mount this much less than a foot from the ceiling, so you are talking a foot off the floor for 16:9 and 2' for 2.35. If you work hard, you might be able to raise it another 4-6 inches.

Since you want 2 rows, it will be very difficult to get you a riser that will give you unobstructed view down to 12" off the floor. This is what I meant when I referenced height (vs width) limited. You are definitely height limited here. I would either drop back and consider 1 row, or go with a smaller screen. 18' is definitely marginal for 2 rows anyway. Figure the typical depth of a second row riser for recliners is 7', that leaves 11' to the BACK of the front row. Given a foot of padding and head, that's 10' to eyeballs.

My setup is 11' to eyeballs for a 120" 16:9 screen, and although I like it, some think even that is too big. If you want something that big, look at a single row, spaced 13 feet back and then perhaps a bar area behind it.

I am not advising on projectors here because A. There is a whole forum on projectors under $3k you should be looking at and B. - my setup is now 4 years old, so I really don't have a valid opinion on current equipment.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As I said the projector and screen I purchased cost exactly $5000. Here is a video if you want to see it. 8Ft ceiling 110inch screen.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My room is 16'x17'. I have two rows of seats with a 120" dragonfly screen and a optima hd25e projector. I am very happy with picture and set up.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post
My room is 16'x17'. I have two rows of seats with a 120" dragonfly screen and a optima hd25e projector. I am very happy with picture and set up.
Hey Cksqurd. Thats exactly what my room will be, but opposite. 17'3"x16' - 8' ceiling.

Would love for you to show some pictures of your room. I am an excellent framer and will be able to build a beautiful room, just having a rough time deciding what kind of layout to go with. My first actual Media Dedicated room.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have posted a thread called "our theater". Couldn't decide on a catchy name!
Our theater
It's a modest in comparison to others on here.

Last edited by Cksqurd; 07-04-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Fat fingers tying