advice before I waste my money - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
advice before I waste my money

I recently purchased my first house and have not yet moved in. The house I purchased was built in 1957 which had an extension placed on it around 1965. This extension is a second living room which ill call the den from here on out. This den is very large and nearly twice the space I have now. Its covered in wall to wall wood paneling and I know this will not be great for my neighbors whose houses are mearly 10's of feet away. The dimensions of the room are appr. 20x35 with a vaulted ceiling starting around 9 or 10 feet and sloping up to around 11 or 12 feet. The left most side of the room connects to the backyard and the right side to the rest of the house. Opposite of that are the sides where the neighbors are. My current setup is 5 Golden Ear SuperSat 3 speakers and an HSU VTF-15h. What I would like to do while we still havent moved in, is to remove the wood paneling and install some form of sound isolation so we can keep from letting the neighborhood know what we have. So far ive read some info about products from SilentFX, QuietRock, GreenGlue with 2 layers of drywall staggered as well as methods for decoupling. What id like to know is what you would do for a room this size especially the ceiling.
The ceiling also has these wood beams that run along it which we like so getting rid of them is not an option.

Last edited by newbienoob; 07-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post
I recently purchased my first house and have not yet moved in. The house I purchased was built in 1957 which had an extension placed on it around 1965. This extension is a second living room which ill call the den from here on out. This den is very large and nearly twice the space I have now. Its covered in wall to wall wood paneling and I know this will not be great for my neighbors whose houses are mearly 10's of feet away. The dimensions of the room are appr. 20x35 with a vaulted ceiling starting around 9 or 10 feet and sloping up to around 11 or 12 feet. The left most side of the room connects to the backyard and the right side to the rest of the house. Opposite of that are the sides where the neighbors are. My current setup is 5 Golden Ear SuperSat 3 speakers and an HSU VTF-15h. What I would like to do while we still havent moved in, is to remove the wood paneling and install some form of sound isolation so we can keep from letting the neighborhood know what we have. So far ive read some info about products from SilentFX, QuietRock, GreenGlue with 2 layers of drywall staggered as well as methods for decoupling. What id like to know is what you would do for a room this size especially the ceiling.
The ceiling also has these wood beams that run along it which we like so getting rid of them is not an option.
I can't help you but if were me, I would just turn it down... However, for those in the know that will be able to answer your, their first question is what is your budget? As you have probably read already.. soundproofing a structure that is already built is way harder and way more expensive than designing it that way. Those air ducts, fireplace, and windows will be a problem... Good luck and if you really want it soundproofed, you will probably need to build a room in a room that is completely decoupled.. not real appealing for the space..

Last edited by airscapes; 07-03-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
That would be a total waste of money. The windows will leak sound more than any wall material, so replacing paneling with exotic materials won't do much except lighten your wallet... If anything, upgrade the windows to insulated ones - assuming they're single-pane now. That will do a lot for sound isolation, and will help with heating/cooling as well.

And really, unless you're really listening at obnoxious levels, your neighbors aren't likely to hear anything - especially inside their own homes.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I agree with Jautor. I have a mid-50s ranch myself, also with a wood paneled 22x25 family room. I personally built the HT in the basement, but have TV space with 5.1 set up in the family room.

Get rid of the paneling only if you don't like it and want more conventional plasterboard walls. I would look more at heat insulation than sound insulation. a 1965 addition is likely to have low R value in the walls.

What others say about windows is spot on. I am a fan of roman shades using warm window material and magnets on the edges for light sealing. The warm window material has the added advantage of providing a degree of sound blocking as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post
I agree with Jautor. I have a mid-50s ranch myself, also with a wood paneled 22x25 family room. I personally built the HT in the basement, but have TV space with 5.1 set up in the family room.

Get rid of the paneling only if you don't like it and want more conventional plasterboard walls. I would look more at heat insulation than sound insulation. a 1965 addition is likely to have low R value in the walls.

What others say about windows is spot on. I am a fan of roman shades using warm window material and magnets on the edges for light sealing. The warm window material has the added advantage of providing a degree of sound blocking as well.
Windows are all doubled paned and yes occasionally I do listen at obnoxious levels. I didnt buy a $1200 to listen only at low volumes. I will take the R values under advisement.

Tappin on a phablet.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Windows are all doubled paned and yes occasionally I do listen at obnoxious levels. I didnt buy a $1200 to listen only at low volumes. I will take the R values under advisement.

Tappin on a phablet.
Sorry if I offended you. Double panes don't do much for sound insulation and the R value is only a bit higher. A single pane is R-1 and a conventional (not e*) may go as high as R-3. A double pane e* window might make R-5.

My quote was that you will likely need some degree of light control, so a warm window insulated roman shade will do that and also have sound insulation qualities. As others have mentioned, the windows are the weak spot for both heat and sound issues.

Feel free to follow your dreams, but recall, you did ask.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you. Double panes don't do much for sound insulation and the R value is only a bit higher. A single pane is R-1 and a conventional (not e*) may go as high as R-3. A double pane e* window might make R-5.

My quote was that you will likely need some degree of light control, so a warm window insulated roman shade will do that and also have sound insulation qualities. As others have mentioned, the windows are the weak spot for both heat and sound issues.

Feel free to follow your dreams, but recall, you did ask.
I was rudely interrupted by my wife I did not mean to hit the send button at that moment.

What I want to know is what kinds of things can be done to minimize the sound leaking externally of the house. The house is 54 years old and the extension was put on in the early sixties. From everything ive read damping is the best way to minimize the sound escaping through the walls. Supposedly the green glue is the industry leading product that can help minimize this. I was just asking because the money is currently available to spend to make the necessary modifications. And we havent moved in yet.

For the most part the sub is turned down, but every now and then soneone wants a demo of the behemoth.

Tappin on a phablet.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough, but look at the existing threads on the subject. Your sound insulation is only going to be as good as your weakest element. In your case, I think it is the windows, especially if they face the neighbors.

I'm not saying green glue and double drywall isn't a good product, when used as part of a full solution. I am simply saying you need to consider everything that may be causing sound to spill over to the neighbors.

Consider this as a water issue. You want to conver the family room to a swimming pool, but you have an open doorway where the water keeps spilling out. Making the walls stronger isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it makes no sense until you first plug up that doorway to contain the water. It is exactly the same situation with the sound escaping. And that is why my theater ended up in the basement where there are no real windows and the walls are backed up with a lot of dirt.

Of course, you then start going to crazy lengths to get that last little bit dealt with. Isolated HVAC, decoupling the ceiling, etc, etc. At some point you simply need to say "good enough", or if you are fanatical about it, you need to go all out, learn everything there is to know and build that acoustically isolated chamber.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Fair enough, but look at the existing threads on the subject. Your sound insulation is only going to be as good as your weakest element. In your case, I think it is the windows, especially if they face the neighbors.

I'm not saying green glue and double drywall isn't a good product, when used as part of a full solution. I am simply saying you need to consider everything that may be causing sound to spill over to the neighbors.

Consider this as a water issue. You want to conver the family room to a swimming pool, but you have an open doorway where the water keeps spilling out. Making the walls stronger isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it makes no sense until you first plug up that doorway to contain the water. It is exactly the same situation with the sound escaping. And that is why my theater ended up in the basement where there are no real windows and the walls are backed up with a lot of dirt.

Of course, you then start going to crazy lengths to get that last little bit dealt with. Isolated HVAC, decoupling the ceiling, etc, etc. At some point you simply need to say "good enough", or if you are fanatical about it, you need to go all out, learn everything there is to know and build that acoustically isolated chamber.
Have you met your neighbors? Mebbe you should touch base with them - do a sound-check with them, mebbe.

Maybe they're young and like loud music, away a lot, deaf, fussy ... This could have a bearing on what you have to do and when you can be loud.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Its more about not advertising to the world, "hey come break into this house." Id rather not tell my neighbors anything.

Tappin on a phablet.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Its more about not advertising to the world, "hey come break into this house." Id rather not tell my neighbors anything.
If you're concerned about your neighbors breaking into your house, you've got bigger problems...

(and really, AV gear, especially big heavy speakers, is not high on the theft list - too hard to carry. Cash, jewelry, ipods - those are the targets)

Do a sound check before you do anything else - take your gear over there before you actually move it in you can.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Im not planning on down sizing the sub so I guess my only alternative is to turn it down.

Tappin on a phablet.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Im not planning on down sizing the sub so I guess my only alternative is to turn it down.

Tappin on a phablet.
Add butt kickers to your seating..
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page